The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: David Regal's Red Streamlined Convertible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am a big fan of yours David. At the moment, I am studying Walt Lees' approach on this called My Blue Ac-es published in Pabular. I watched your presentation, and as usual, simply beautiful. But, I want to try Lees' version as well. If it doesn't "feel" as clean, YOU get more of my money Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This looks great. Although I haven't read every version, I am a big fan of this plot. Even came up with my own version. But this looks really, really terrific.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Looks to be a real showstopper!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7634 Posts

Profile of RNK
Ordered on Thursday- David shipped it out on Thursday! Will let you know when it comes!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
David, have you thought about not shipping right away, letting customers wait for months while you blame the weather and Post Office and eventually blame the customers themselves?

:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sieler
View Profile
New user
Cupertino, CA
63 Posts

Profile of sieler
@bmwguy ... yes, you can PayPal. The link to PayPal is on the main page.

David...thanks for taking PayPal!

Stan
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Thanks RevJohn, I'll check it out!

Robert
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I got this in today, thanks David for the quick shipping!!!

Let me start off by saying that I don't review things very often and I don't know David other than meeting him in passing a couple of times over the years. Although one of my favorite routines of all times is one of his creations!

I usually don't get around to watching a new DVD the day that I receive it, usually it takes me a few days or even weeks before I actually sit down with it. But I had seen the demo and was looking forward to checking this out. I think it's a great concept, very magical looking and easy to follow for the spectators! That being said, there are some things I like about this DVD and some things I don't really care for.

First, and most importantly, the routine is really really good -- Great Job David!!! The performances are very good, and in the second one you could see the awe in man's expression on David's left -- he was floored! I'm sure the others were as well in both performances, but this guys expression tells the story better than words can.

Next, David explains everything very clearly and even gives other options in some cases -- in the event a move isn't suited to you.

David also explains his "Streamlined Assembly" amd "Streamlined Assembly Minus One" as he states in the opening post, and both are well worth learning!

The routine is pretty easy to do, although I don't think that should be the determining factor in any effect. I think that the effect that you want to present should be the primary consideration and the methodology is the vehicle to achieve the effect! However, being easy to do allows one to focus on the presentation.

I thought the presentation fit David well, but it is something that I didn't really care for -- at least it's not a way that I can see myself presenting it. However, it appears that his audiences liked it and that's what counts! Also, this is not a complaint, just an observation and a personal preference.

My only complaint is about the production of the DVD. I think overall it was ok, however the scenes kept going in and out of focus and I found this to be rather annoying. I think they were trying to do some soft focus type of effects, but it just didn't do it for me. When I watch a teaching DVD, I want to watch the teaching DVD and not some cinematic effects. I realize the need to compete for the dollar and to try to get into your pocket, but I prefer to watch a good performance and good teaching -- which aside form the focus issue, this DVD has.

I will say on the production side that I didn't have to sit through teaser and trailer ads for the DVD that I already purchased -- thanks!!!

So the final verdict is:

This is a great routine that I would be proud to do! I believe it's very strong, commercial and will have a huge impact on your audiences! I guess it would only be fair to judge it against what I feel is the strongest routine of it's type, MacDolald's Aces. I don't think it's better than MacDonald's Aces, just different but not too different. MacDonald's Aces is so good because of how visual it is, the vanishes are (can be)amazing and you can see the aces up until the last moment. This routine, however, has the same type of visual appeal with the odd colored backs -- so you get that same type of effect. So I think from a spectators view, this routine can be just as strong! I think from a performers view, at least this performers view, I will always do MacDonalds Aces -- but because I think I can get the same type of effect from this routine and the fact that I don't need to have gaffed cards, I will probably find many more opportunities to perform "David Regal's Streamlined Convertible"!

So buy this! I don't think you'll be disappointed and it is well worth the money!

Robert
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Robert, that took a great deal of effort to write up ( it would for me ). Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2439 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Myself and Dave are going to look at this today on the Wizard Product Review!!!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I had been drinking the night before and was going in and out of focus all day. My fault entirely.

Glad you like the routine.

David
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 02:19, Craig Petty wrote:
Myself and Dave are going to look at this today on the Wizard Product Review!!!

Bet you my last buck this thing is going to get rave reviews!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 10:25, David Regal wrote:
I had been drinking the night before and was going in and out of focus all day. My fault entirely.

Ah, the Irish in you came out: David O'Regal!.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Review King is that a fact or were you joshin'? Is David really Irish?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7634 Posts

Profile of RNK
Received my copy- but when it came- the case was bent and DVD was cracked. I figured David would not send it out like this but e-mailed him about it. He graciously is going to send me a new one. What a guy! Customer service at its best! Thanks David!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 14:47, daffydoug wrote:
Review King is that a fact or were you joshin'? Is David really Irish?

David is proudly Jewish. But...I like to think anyone that likes a few cold ones may have a wee bit of the Irish in them.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ahhhhhhh! A little leprechaun in all o' us!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Craig Petty and David Penn reviewed Red Streamlined Convertible:

http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_i......i266p0v2

David gave it 60%

Craig gave it 75%

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I think different POVs are important. But I'm with Craig on this one. I think assemblies ARE entertaining and amazing to laymen. Sure, you're not going to do it strolling but I've done assemblies at restaurants. David's looks great.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-12 13:57, Review King wrote:
Craig Petty and David Penn reviewed Red Streamlined Convertible:

http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_i......i266p0v2

David gave it 60%

Craig gave it 75%

I truly wasn't expecting that.