The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Alan Rorrison's Sigillum Diaboli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yeah the Scotish accent seems to be the in thing just now.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I have recieved less complaints on my accent this
Time, mabye folks are getting used to it finaly

Alan
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Nah, man - Owen at BBM didn't tell you, but the released copies have subtitles...

xD

Liam.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Aaaaaah that makes more sense! LOL
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
525 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Inside Liam is an angry Scotsman trying to get out. He is less angry when he is fed Jaffa cakes.

Jack
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I understood ya Alan. I had a clerk from Scotland with an accent so thick other Scots would tell him he needed to get it worked on. I eventually got to understand him so I've had no problems since.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
What's the consensus on this? I can understand the reasoning behind a no cover, one handed, no cover card version of card warp but I always felt that having that cover card actually added mystery to the effect. It's clearly understood from the spectator's point of view that there's something strange happening within the cover card but they also understand that you are only using two cards and in their mind, it's two normal cards and this is confirmed when you leave them with the pieces at the end. So back to the question, how is this playing out for the folks who have done the original Card Warp and Alan's new one as well. For folks who only have Alan's version, you might as well spend the $5 and get yourself a copy of the original Roy Walton manuscript as well for historical sakes. Ha ha.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is a cool looking effect, the get ready is very nice, and it looks great after practice. That being said I still do Hyper Card (in Wes James Enchantments and in The Hyper Card Project, I believe it is called) because I think the visual at the end just makes it the best version out there. Alans is very cool, as I said, but you have a very valid point about the cover card adding to the mystery.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Yup, agreed, Hyper Card and the impossible stapled object in the end is one of my favourites.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
A lot of folks asked why I needed to cover the card to turn it inside out and why it would,the patering I use solved the why and the routine solved the cover. It is just what I experienced with the original and its many versions and my solution that worked for me. I hope it solves the same proplem for others and understand it will not be for everyone but hope it prouves worthy to stand beside the rest.

alan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Alan see my pm
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I think your Sigillum Diaboli solves the question of "can you do it one handed and without cover?" I just personally felt it was stronger when the spectator would ask such questions as the reason behind that is that they don't know what went on behind the cover card and in a sense, asking these kinds of questions is really to see if they can deduce a method from that. If I told them "I only do this once" it may sound like a cop out but I know that they will go on their merry ways still quite perplexed as to how it happened. I associate this with the stage illusion of sawing a lady in half. I doubt ANYBODY in their right minds would believe that to be real magic in this day and age but they still like watching it and thinking about trying to figure out how it all worked.

Alan, please take my words as being just myself speaking out loud. Smile
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Ill will take your words as you mean them as always. As I said it just resolved some of the problems for me and hope it helps others..

Vinny see my pm
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
It's all good Alan. I absolutely respect you and much of your approach to magic. I remember seeing a clip of you performing the card through clear glass table and was completely impressed by the simplicity and the brilliance of the effect.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Thank you. Some times simple is just the best way to go
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm having big fun with this Sigilllum Diaboli...just tore up a deck of cards!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I know what you mean. At the shoot there was a sea of torn cards everywhere. IM sure there are some pics if Owen wants to post them and keep in mind it was karnival kards just before chrsitmas.. at a time where they where hard ot get lol
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Sorry what is all the fuss about there is nothing new here that has not already be done befor. the only material new is the name change..it is a in the hands card warp period
Lo key
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I got this recently and have watched it a couple of times. Alan has some nice touches to be sure, but I feel it is derivative enough from some previous versions (including Vinny's) that there should have been a bit more effort in crediting. The method on the folding procedure itself, for example, is no different than Vinny's, which came out nearly a decade earlier.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
My whole folding procedure is COMPLETLY different from vinnies from what I saw in demo he sent me. Also the application and moves are a far cry from what vinnies does. I have already went over this with Vinnie himself in pm and I credited ALL who needed to be credited! lo key I cannot disagree more, The only thing that may have been done before in application is the tear.