The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Magic of Nefesch 3 double volume set (6 dvds) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 17:41, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 18:05, Bobby Forbes wrote:
I'm thinking lots of gimmicks and long setups. I was dissapointed when I purchased the hatching a long time ago.

95% Right on the gimmicks and long setups. The ideas and most of the methods are very orginal. The set is also full of nice material if your going to do your own tv show or don't work that much and have time to do some serious setups, but there isn't much material for real workers. The setups are just huge in many cases and also in most effects there is moments that scream that something is happening. To sum it up: Very orginal thinking but hardly workable routines in their current form for real world working enviroments.

Got to agree. I didn't find the material that practical and in many cases the props were over handled, or a crucial sleight was being done at the time the heat was on the hands.

Reminded me of Lubor Fiedler, interesting to watch his methods, but unlikely to use any of them.

Therefore I found little of value to me.

Admittedly I only own volume one.
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Personally I think there is a lot of good material on these dvds. The only downside I could think of was the over-explaining of some of the effects. Maybe I'm a bit to the point person, but if there was a downside, that would be it.

I think that coin in chip bag is a cool idea.
Could also be card in chip bag or bill in chip bag....
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your input. I would be very interested to know what other effects apart hatching and maybe blood are in the category of long set ups.
Best,
Titanas
[/quote]

Frozen, card to bottle. that's two without any brainwork to start with.
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I would be very interested to know what other effects apart hatching and maybe blood are in the category of long set ups.
--------------------------------------------------

I'm confused. I thought Titanas said earlier in this thread that there's no setup or clean-up for Card to Bottle, and that the bottle can be borrowed and given out? (I too am holding out on this set until I figure out how practical this would be for someone not doing a TV show... a detailed review would be wonderful Smile )
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 17:44, korttihai_82 wrote:

Frozen has some set up indeed but it supposed to have this kind of set up... it is an ice cube effect so I guess anyone would expect that it would need ice Smile
I don't think that card to bottle has a big set up... but maybe this is just me.

Quote:
On 2008-06-01 15:05, fridoliina89 wrote:
Im getting a bit confused, allot of people saying that it is a fantastic dvd set, and some people says it has a lot of set ups and not very practical.

Can someone who owns it tell me what you think?

Im never doing walk around magic, Im just performing parties so I'm wondering if this is something for me.

Now about practicality,
I would say that a practical effect for someone can be an impractical effect for someone else. Nefesch has a good success with these effects not only in his street magic show but in his theater shows and also in his everyday repertoire.

Quote:
On 2008-06-01 22:22, Amiable wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------

I'm confused. I thought Titanas said earlier in this thread that there's no setup or clean-up for Card to Bottle, and that the bottle can be borrowed and given out? (I too am holding out on this set until I figure out how practical this would be for someone not doing a TV show... a detailed review would be wonderful Smile )

Hi,
I said that CAN has no set up whatsoever..
Hope that helps,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
I have all three of these DVDs and have watch almost all the effects except for 1 or 2 effects. I was a little dissipointed because most of the effects use a big setup and are not practicle for walk around or to be done more than once. I thought the explainations were really really loooooong. There are a few effects that I must admitt were very clever and I might use.

I just think that I spent a lot of money for a bunch of effects that are not practicle and only a few that I might do.
This is only my opinion. These effects are just not for me. Others might think different and perform these effects a lot.
bugula
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bugula
I haven't received mine yet, just ordered last week, but it felt like these effects were better suited to the stage from the descriptions I read. I don't work on a stage but was greatly interested in a few of the effects and just wanted to learn the methods to see if they'd help me out.

Those who have it that do walkaround or street, is there anything of value here?
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I have not had the time to write my review, sorry guys, been really busy with getting my gaff card site ready to launch. I will say this, Hatching was my first effect that I bought from Néfesch, and still perform it. It was great to see how he handles it. Also, as to the comment that effects are over explained does not make sense, if they were under explained, I guess that would have been an issue as well. And I will only say this once, I am a cib guy, and love effects were stuff goes into a bottle. Glastion is for me one of the best methods to achieve this type of effect, and yes I will perform this for sure. I also do not understand why everyone is saying the set ups and prep work are to long? When did this become a draw back in magic guys. Pick up a book and read some older methods and magic, and you will be that prep work is needed to achieve better looking effects. Lets take the double backed red/blue card. If no one took the time to make them for you, then you would not be able to create amazing mind blowing effects. Colour Burn comes to mind right away. An effect so impossible that would not have been possible if no one took the time to gaff a card.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3098 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Have not seen the DVDs but in response to Irishghost. From experience with other effects, there is definately a difference between a one time setup that can be used many time (as per Colour Burn) vs. a time consumming set up that needs to be done each time the trick is performed (Fraud comes to mind - excellent trick -long set up)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If you can perform a miracle, an effect that will make them never forget you, who cares what prep is involved.

Even if you only did strolling magic, you'd like to end with as many people as you could gather with one, in your face effect before you left.

Also, there are DVD's that have some of the best magic on them and you don't have to perfom any of it to appreciate and be inspired by the thinking behind the methods.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3098 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Your last point is true Christopher. However, and let me say for the record I am not a professional magician, I don't think "who cares what prep is involved" is true for everyone. Consideration of prep time is a point frequently made on these boards and on DVDs I have purchased by professional magicians. Clearly a proffesional who performs at night might consider prepping all day part of their job but I do not think it infair to consdier prep time in evaluation of an effect. I keep coming back to Fraud. I love the trick and had excellent responses to it but can't imagine making 10 or so bills a day for strolling (I know not every group needs to see every trick etc.) UV night shades, and Prohibition stand out as tricks with excellent bang/prep time ratios
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I I was speaking about performing for pay, so that makes it worth the time.

UV night shades and Prohibition should be in everyone's repertoir, being paid or not.

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
If you can perform a miracle, an effect that will make them never forget you, who cares what prep is involved.

Chris, would you use any of these effects? I know that you are strolling magician so I would be interested in knowing if you would use any of these effects.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I was just taking off the top of my head about setups as I do not have this set yet. Strolling you need ( for me ) fast and quick resets, but I'd be open to ending the night with something that required a setup if it was strong.

There are 6 DVD's? It must be his entire portfolio.

tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Try to pick it up used here on the Café. I think the $150 price tag is a bit to much seeing how the light and sound quality are a bit sub par and the zoom could use work as well.

However, The effects are very good. Sometimes the methods require a one time set up or a each time you peform it, but overall I'm impressed with the effects.
I think his "skinned" effect where a forced card is revealed on a spectators hand is very commericial. I'm going to try it sometime this weekend on some of my coworkers, but it's a very cool idea.
I also like coin in chip bag!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks for the suggestion tian.

Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Usually the price tag refers to the effects included in a DVD and not in the production.
Best,
Titanas
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Titanas-
I agree and disagree.
I think there should of been some more editing or reshoots because the person in charge of "zooming" was out of focus or they were just bad camera shots.

However,
I think it's a minimal point because as you say, the tag refers to the effects, which are good in my opinion. =)

I defintally appreciate the release as there is good, workable material!
I think that coin in chip bag is my favorite routine. =)
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Tian_ci,
I know what you mean and I agree with you 100% about the out of focus in some points but as I said in another thread before, if we had a camera man we really should kill him after the filming because he would have so much knowledge that no layman should have Smile LOL
You see all the filming has been done without a camera man and all the zooms have been done by me via remote control... with that conditions I believe we did our best.
I am glad you enjoyed the set.
All the best,
Titanas
Nefesch
View Profile
Special user
El Salvador
611 Posts

Profile of Nefesch
Thanks everybody for your interest in my set.
I received many emails from people that bought the set, they already have their favorite effects and already put them in their act.
I would like to see some more reviews.