The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Second Storm: The Close-Up Magic of John Guastaferro FINALLY! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
John, regarding:

"Constellation — which utilizes Peter Eggink’s “Ace Oddity” card."

Aldo Colombini developed this card and marketed it as "Ace-Mbly" (still available) years before Peter Eggink. It's also on one of Aldo's early video tapes: "MaMa Mia Magic" from A1. I'm sure you know how far back that goes. The only difference between the two cards is that Peter's has more pips on it. Aldo's only had one of each. Same idea though. I don't have Ace Oddity, so I don't know if Peter gives Aldo credit for this. Just a little background.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
The effects from this dvd are not solely from the second storm booklet?
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 12:21, anticoin wrote:
The effects from this dvd are not solely from the second storm booklet?

You will find a lot of the effects out of the booklet in the dvd set,but there are also other effects which were not in the booklet.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW, I'm currently in leave on some frustrating things but when I return I will try to save up and get this. This VACATION seems more like a series of Chores.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
For those who bought them. Any thoughts?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's the place to order the Second Storm from, It's The Astonishment Project:

Paul Harris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Order from John Guastaferro directly from his website, he personally signed the DVDs!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Another must have. That is all there is to say about that.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
[quote]On 2007-09-08 14:39, magico wrote:
For those who bought them. Any thoughts?

Yes, ******* Mexican Post service , Im still waiting my DVD´S Smile

I will post a formal review as soon as I get my DVD´S
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I know everyone loves his work... but I was underwhelmed by the trailer. Be interested in hearing what people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymxaZCnYjto
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 17:28, bugjack wrote:
I know everyone loves his work... but I was underwhelmed by the trailer. Be interested in hearing what people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymxaZCnYjto

I understand how you feel. I felt the same way about the Party Animal DVD's, based on the trailer. Well, I got the DVD's and I was WRONG!. KILLER, KILLER material.

Trailers are meant to get you hooked and they don't always do that. They are deceiving. I'm sure John's new effort is like his Brainstorm DVD's and contain killer material.

swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
I couldn't resist sharing a few of my thoughts after reading the expectant posts in this thread. I'm sorry to say that I've been quite disappointed with this set. It feels like John's performing style has changed, and I somewhat miss the warmer and quirkier "John G" from his earlier DVDs. But on to the effects.

The effects were mostly quite respectable respectable and are not "bad" by any means. However, they fall quite short of the superb hits that were on Brainstorm. Even though John thinks that his effects have "matured" in the sense that the methods lie closer to the effect, but as Mr. Ortiz has said before, that does not always (or even often) mean it's a good thing. The effect becomes at risk of being watered down due to a lack of a satisfactory expository phase, and the method can also become dangerously close to the effect. While the handling of effects from Brainstorm were slightly convoluted, the resulting effects were much more than worthwhile and John's naturalness in handling rendered the issue obsolete. Each can decide for him or herself the effectiveness of John's approaches to creating the effects on the set, but I personally think that the design of these effects were not exactly the best.

I wasn't too happy with this release because of my overly high expectations following Brainstorm, but I'm sure others can and will get their money's worth from this set. I look forward to the future when perhaps I can see yet another wonderful release from John, as I absolutely loved his previous work.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
This is definitely a favourite set of DVDs of mine. Seldom have I seen so many useful and inspiring tricks, routines and ideas. John Guastaferro is like a crossing between Allan Ackerman and John Bannon - he has Ackerman's ability to find astonishingly clever methods to effects, and Bannon's ability to construct commercial effects that the audiences just love. Quite nice to be fooled more than once when watching the performance sections.

/Tomas
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I haven't seen the Second Storm DVD's, but I have had the pleasure of seeing John in action recently -- I hired him to work my law school graduation party in May. Under challenging conditions (noisy restaurant & an audience split about 2/3 - 1/3 between lay people and magicians), he did an outstanding job and his magic was enjoyed by all. He was certainly warm; "quirky" is debatable. He was basically every bit as down to earth as you might expect if you'd only seen him in Brainstorm. Though I can't vouch for the performances on the new DVD set, the material is certainly strong, as just about anyone who has his lecture notes will attest. John is very creative & innovative, and he's someone who really thinks about his magic and cares about the art and its history.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
I recieved this set yesterday and have had a chace to watch through the performances...I haven't had an in depth look yet, so this is just "first impressions":

Very different to Brainstorm, but not a disappointment. As always, John's thinking is very devious, and the effects are strong and practical. There is material in here that I defintely will use. I will post up a full review when I've had a chance to digest the DVDs.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
This second set is worth it for constellation, quickpocket, famous aces, here there everywhere, optical opener, I agree not as good as brainstorm dvd's, but still a great set
zmakingmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Burbank, California
119 Posts

Profile of zmakingmagic
Hey guys, can anyone post a full review of this? Thanks!
vanesmagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of vanesmagic
The trailer underestimates the effects. All effects are devastants!! Believe me! I begin all of my shows with the methods of John!! Leave alone the other whole dvds! Believe me, people astonish! The effects don't almost all use special decks or cards! You can perform with common decks also taken in loan. Buy them! (I don't have any interest with John, I am Italian, but this personage merits a lot)
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
I still remember when John fried us with ultimate fate at Best Magic before the release of his second storm lecture notes. IMO, the routines in the second storm DVD are just as amazing and effective as the first set.

John, when are you going to bring some autographed sets to the shop?! lol
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Went to a friends to watch the first DVD of the Second Storm set. I wasn't expecting too much based on coments here. Well...it rocked the house.

Famous Aces made sense of McDonald's Aces. The aces don't transpo, but vanish. Killer thinking behind the whole plot. That was worth the price of the DVD.

Jokers To Go is awesome. It didn't get as great a reaction from the audience as it should have as I think John's plot was confusing. Also, he didn't have the card signed. Signed cards that appear in an impossible place/change places get better reactions. But, the method is killer.

Quick Pocket: WOW, killer! Just fantastic routining.

I think John is as good as he was the last time out.