The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jay Sankey DVD Recommendation??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
sayer
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
64 Posts

Profile of sayer
The very best of Jay Sankey DVD set is simply the best (IMO).
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
I like 22 Blows to the Head, although you can't argue with the greatest hits for quantity of content and so you must be able to pick up some good things from there.

As for his humour, I agree when talking to the camera I find his humour less attractive than when he is in front of an audience. Sankey Live has some truely great laugh out loud moments in it if you want to see the funnier side of Sankey.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I own revolutionary coin magic and it is incredible!a little bit of everything coins across,penatrations,and many new or rethought sleights.
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
I like the Very Best of... Great material if you can get through the humor/ego.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I'll third Sankey-Tized 1 and 2

You will love "Airtight", shame on you if you don't Smile
martin56
View Profile
New user
Italy
20 Posts

Profile of martin56
Shikina, the two Sankey VHs for "masters of excellence", are very good, here the content:

The Fantastic Close-up Magic of Jay Sankey:
Slick Splits
Poush Button
Eye Dropper
Lingering Illusion
Down the Business
HPC-CPH

The Fantastic Close-up Magic of Jay Sankey, AGAIN:
Bread & Butter Production
Outside In
Where There's Smoke
To The Point
The Jokers
A Balancing Act
In case of Emergency
Off and On
One Last Time
Cut and Restrawed
Partners in Crime

Both the videos are from U.S. Toy Co. Inc.
SoundWave
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of SoundWave
Get with the Best of series. The material is great and the humor is Sankey.
laurent
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of laurent
Jay Sankey Live!
A very exciting video with coins and cards routines :
You will see the madness of jay sankey.
Routines are fast, I liked :
haunted card case : good comedy routine
X's & O's : his version of color monte
and specially What's in a name : a spectator's own name mysteriously appears of the back of a card.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Hey,

The DVDs that I own are:

Revolutionary Coin Magic(good but hard)
Revolutionary Card Magic( a few nice routines worth buying)
Sankey's Greatest Hits(good I like the archive footage, some great routines)
The Real Work on Bars and Restaurants(not my cup of tea)
The Art of Sleight of Hand(worst thing I've ever bought in magic if it was paper id be wiping my ... with it)

So a real mixed bag but id reccomend most of his DVD's except the last 1 that I mentioned and m sure that people will find a use for the bars and restaurants one I just didn't find it suited me.

All the best,

Sam
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Most of Sankey's DVD's have some good stuff, but I found more usable material on both Front Row Sankey and The Real Work on Bars and Restaurants.

I too am not particularly keen on Jay's humour, however, I watch his DVD's for the effects and not the presentations.

Iain.
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
Here's his top 5 DVD/DVD series in my opinion in no particular order

1) Front Row
2) 22 Blows to the Head
3) The Very Best of Jay Sankey vol.1-2-3
4) Secret Files vol.1-2
5) Anytime Anywhere
thecogito
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of thecogito
I have a few of Jay's items and I really enjoy them. I must admit that "Revolutionary Coin Magic" is great, but it takes a great deal of practice as does any really good coin illusion.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 23:49, Danik1 wrote:
Here's his top 5 DVD/DVD series in my opinion in no particular order

1) Front Row
2) 22 Blows to the Head
3) The Very Best of Jay Sankey vol.1-2-3
4) Secret Files vol.1-2
5) Anytime Anywhere

Ditto!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Secret Files 1 & 2

Remote Control is probably one of my all time favorites. It has never failed to get a great reaction and the MAJORITY of the time a staggering one.

I have had people quite literally leap at the cards and start going through them in a state of pure disbelief.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Danik1 got it right so take his advice and then you'll have an awesome set of Sankey DVD's, in fact this is most of his very best material to date (and I own a LOT of Sankey DVD's)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I agree, kihei kid, Secret Files is AWESOME! So is Paperclipped! & Three Ring Circus. There is some bonus stuff on those two DVD's.

Ya know...I've complained about his language before, but now I've gone back and watched those DVD's...I think it has to GROW on you...his humor, I mean.

I found myself actually LAUGHING at his quirky faces and quips. Wow. Totally unexpected. Do you normally have to watch someone like this, several times before you "get it"? Hey, I'm a guy, and I can take "blue" language...I'll just use headphones, if anyone sensitive is around. LOL!

True, Sankey is not for everyone, but what IS???

Doug
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Love The Very Best Of series. Also look into the book "Sankey Unleashed."
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
Sankey is a true genius, I don't care what anybody has to say, The guy comes out with the most creative plots, and the funniest darn comedy I have seen in Any magic dvd I own. I am a Sankey fan for life.

get revolutionary card and coin magic, very best of series, and anytime anywhere, and if you have a sick sense of humor get oh my god, its a different side of jay, but its histerical.
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I can reccomend fully both 45 and Rev. Coin Magic, I do think Sankey can get annoying in Rev. Coin Magic after about a half hour.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I bought Spontaneous Combustion and am wondering how you would describe 22 blows to the head? (Insert awful pun here if you must).

Many thanks,

Danny