The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Royal Road DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Yes interesting link to the post but what a pile of jealous c**p.Just because something is shot with multiple cameras etc. doesn't mean to say that it's better than any single camera shot or basic format.
I can name many dvd's that use too many fancy effects, multiple angle, shots in shot etc. and boy are they annoying.Daniel garcia's set by paul Harris is a good example,you get all these fancy shot in shot or whatever but you don't get the basic close up all the camera work is done to far away to see whats going on.And don't forget Rsvp martin sanderson commercial magic dvd boy was that annoying and over produced a time to hit that fast forward button.Anyway you know what I mean.
These Magic Maker dvd's have been well thought out and a lot of effort has gone into them.They have not just been thrown together as Mr wilson makes them sound quote,"after seeing them I'm not worried".
Well take it from me you should be worried as these are out now and looks like they are selling like hot cakes !!!
At L&L prices and the annoying fake audiances that they use ill stick to these,thanks but no thanks.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 14:51, dan bivaldi wrote:
"Yes interesting link to the post but what a pile of jealous c**p.Just because something is shot with multiple cameras etc. doesn't mean to say that it's better than any single camera shot or basic format.
I can name many dvd's that use too many fancy effects, multiple angle, shots in shot etc. and boy are they annoying.Daniel garcia's set by paul Harris is a good example,you get all these fancy shot in shot or whatever but you don't get the basic close up all the camera work is done to far away to see whats going on."

I disagree, I own one of the DVDs and I personally think it was very well produced and don't find that the multiple cameras annoying, in fact I think it adds to the production. Aside from this, Paul's post sounds like they may have multiple angles available on the dvd not just two seperate cameras as in the DGP.

Quote:
"These Magic Maker dvd's have been well thought out and a lot of effort has gone into them.They have not just been thrown together as Mr wilson makes them sound quote,"after seeing them I'm not worried"."

Well thought out??? Did you forget "Ghost Kings" or "Crushed and Cured Cola"?? These DVDs were blatent rip-offs of marketed effects, no thought added.

Quote:
Well take it from me you should be worried as these are out now and looks like they are selling like hot cakes !!!
At L&L prices and the annoying fake audiances that they use ill stick to these,thanks but no thanks."

Just because something sells a lot of copies doesn't mean that it is of better quality. Card guards are a supreme example, you can buy a cheap knock off for a couple bucks or invest in Porper's clip and get what you payed for. You can sell a lot of substandard products to uninformed customers.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1425 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I agree with dan bivaldi, I do not feel this version is cheap or water down. I do not know Mr.Wilson or his products, so no comment there. However I am upset with L & L pricing and marketing methods. I have gotten junk from L & L also, but over all I like most of the product. And I have gotten good and bad from MagicMakers too. Most likely I will not buy the L & L version. So read and research everything you can until you think you can make a fair judgement on your purchase. I am still very happy with my decision. I have use this method and it works the majority of the time.

BTW - having a group of people on tape watch the show adds nothing to my learning, but some do as they can see the reaction.

Jerry
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 20:39, Jerry wrote:
BTW - having a group of people on tape watch the show adds nothing to my learning, but some do as they can see the reaction.

Jerry

You must not perform for people. You can learn a ton from watching the audience.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 21:53, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 20:39, Jerry wrote:

Jerry

You must not perform for people. You can learn a ton from watching the audience.

You can learn a lot from audience reaction. But, on some of these shoots, the audience reaction can't be trusted. How many versions of card in wallet are they going to see before they stop saying "oh my God"?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Quote:
You can learn a lot from audience reaction. But, on some of these shoots, the audience reaction can't be trusted. How many versions of card in wallet are they going to see before they stop saying "oh my God"?

You might be right, MagicChris, but some of us have a short attention span. Plus, it's usually the PYTs in the front saying that Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 22:14, Kaylan wrote:
Quote:

You might be right, MagicChris, but some of us have a short attention span. Plus, it's usually the PYTs in the front saying that Smile

Hahaha. Kaylan, I think you're right.

I do prefer a video with an audience. I was so glad David williamson's Magic Farm DVD had an audience. I think it made a difference.

BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
747 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Audience reactions are very important. But I have to agree with everyone else, the L&L audiences seem to be pretty full of themselves. The overacting is sad. I think they are in dire need of new people.

As for the Rudy Hunter versus R. Paul Wilson; I like both of their work. I've gotten some great card tricks from Paul's books and DVDs. Likewise, I have learned some killer mental effects and stand-up tricks from Rudy's manuscripts.

Who teaches RRTCM better? Who knows? It really is in the mind of the INDIVIDUAL watching the DVD. Not the producer, or the audiences, or any of this incestuous back biting that the Café members seem to thrive on. The answer: BUY THEM BOTH and DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

Enough politics...I have a degree in this and would prefer to leave it at work and get back to sharing & enjoying magic here.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ben, great thoughts!

I think Falanga should take advantage of some of the clubs in Tahoe and only have girls in the shoots. That way no one would care what the reactions were!

ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On Jan 18, Krumb said,
I disagree, I own one of the DVDs and I personally think it was very well produced

How did you get Wilson's DVD? I still can't find 'em goggling or on the L&L home site.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Krumb's comment was about one of Daniel Garcia's DVDs, not Paul Wilson's.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is it a celebration yet?

evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
MagicChris, I can hear Kool & The Gang singing it in my head Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 13:17, cgscpa wrote:
Krumb's comment was about one of Daniel Garcia's DVDs, not Paul Wilson's.

Thanks for straightening me out. I assume they are still not released, but any idea of how much the Paul Wilson DVD will cost?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 15:06, evolve629 wrote:
MagicChris, I can hear Kool & The Gang singing it in my head Smile

evolve, you're the only one that got the reffernece. I can now stop saying it!

cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 15:15, ehands wrote:
Thanks for straightening me out. I assume they are still not released, but any idea of how much the Paul Wilson DVD will cost?

No problem, ehands. The latest I read on another message board is that they are to be released by the end of this month. No idea on how many disks or the cost.
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
462 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
The Wilson set is out and currently available from LL Pub.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2294

It looks like a well package product. The $79.95 asking price seems very reasonable for the 5 disc 8 1/2 hrs of instruction.

I don't know R. Wilson or R. Hunter personally but I do appreciate both their work. Mr. Wilson's most recent comments from Genii's forum seems to clear up some of the misconceptions about the projects.

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......1#000006

Bosco
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
willmorton
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of willmorton
Any uk dealers doing the Wilson dvd set?
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magictrickstur
I think this is going to be the newest fad remaking old books into dvd.