The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jon Allen's "Silent Treatment" (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Magic2253711, what do you mean?

Jeremy, The set up is pretty non-existent and the reset is minimal.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Jon,

Unfortunately, I can't see what you're showing the helper in the video.

It could be construed, therefore, by the audience that you're just showing him a picture of the Kings of Spades. In which case, they're reaction would be "so what?".

I'm NOT saying that is what you're doing, I'm just saying that is what it appears that you COULD be doing.

The idea is wonderful though. Very entertaining and a great opener.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
The performance was done not for the video but for the 200 magicians in the audience.

All anyone needs to know is that there are many cards that the person can see.

It's not only a good opener but also works well as an encore piece.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I just got this and I have to say I am very pleased. Easy to do, and it floors people
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I might have to get this a lot sooner then I expected too.
carlostheshadow
View Profile
New user
US
6 Posts

Profile of carlostheshadow
I bought this after I saw the,video.I think its a very clever,trick.All of the handling is,covered.The only problem I had was,people wondered why I didn't talk.(as I'm very talkative).Other than that.Well worth it.Especially utilising your facial expressions.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
This may seem like an obvious question but would a little background music hurt the effect? I've got it coming in the mail and I've got a school faculty show Dec. 8. Jon, while they laughed with you and your facial expressions for interaction are key, would some James Bond like mystery music in the background add to it or subtract from the presentation? Thanks.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I think that some background music would not go amiss. I have been trawling thorugh various instrumental pieces to find one that is suitable but haven't yet. There would be considerations to music such as timing, tempo and theme. Th music would need to reflect the effect whcih is not always easy to do. When I eventually get the stage version done next year (Hopefully!!!) then music will be something Iwill want to build into the routine. The main thing is that it does not detract from the effect.
david alan
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of david alan
Hey guys... Help me out here. I really wanted to do this effect on Monday for a big event. I paid for overnight... And the DVD does not play on all three of my players. And there are no written instructions! I have the three extra cards that I guess can be added in... But I really need someone to call me on the phone and walk me through this... That would be so awesome...!! Help... 203 634 6712 D&B Magic.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
3 options -- 1, just don't do it. 2, call the shop where you purchased it. 3, call/email Jon Allen directly. Should be fairly self-explanatory, though.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 00:39, bekralik wrote:
3 options -- 1, just don't do it. 2, call the shop where you purchased it. 3, call/email Jon Allen directly. Should be fairly self-explanatory, though.

4. Watch the demo.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
Some people can pull this off some can't. It's not a difficult technique but the 'wallet' if you will is the smallest component of the routine wich plays HUGE with the right personality...of YOU!

I don't use it as an opener...however I've placed it between two strong effects. If I don't think that the particular audience is going to 'get it' or 'work with me' if they aren't going for that kind of material...and any seasoned performer can tell...then I skip it altogether and move on...you don't have to do every trick in your line up! You have to adapt sometimes.

Silent treatment is strong, funny and great addition under the appropriate circumstances...one thing though, I haven't used it as an opener...if you start with the card "loaded" already, the audience just thinks it was there the entire time, however if you have conversed with them before THEN the card appears...that's another mystery.

SB
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
Some people can pull this off some can't. It's not a difficult technique but the 'wallet' if you will is the smallest component of the routine wich plays HUGE with the right personality...of YOU!

I don't use it as an opener...however I've placed it between two strong effects. If I don't think that the particular audience is going to 'get it' or 'work with me' if they aren't going for that kind of material...and any seasoned performer can tell...then I skip it altogether and move on...you don't have to do every trick in your line up! You have to adapt sometimes.

Silent treatment is strong, funny and great addition under the appropriate circumstances...one thing though, I haven't used it as an opener...if you start with the card "loaded" already, the audience just thinks it was there the entire time, however if you have conversed with them before THEN the card appears...that's another mystery.

SB
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck

SB
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I prefer having spectators think it was there the entire time. 1 in 52 ain't bad.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
867 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Is the selected card always produced from your mouth?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 01:06, StuBeck wrote:

SB

This has been brought up elsewhere with regards whether the card should 'appear' in your mouth or whether it should be in there from the start.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with the audience thinking it was there all along. That was the thinking behind the trick! "Oh! So the reason he didn't say anythign from the start is because he had a card in there the whole time. But that was the card I just thought of though!" Try it as an opener and see what reactiosn it gets... you'll never know until you try.

I have done it where I have been talking in routines beforehand then I go into TST silently. It also works. However, this is not a Card to Impossible Location effect; it is a prediction effect if anything.

Jon

p.s. The card is always produced from the mouth.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
867 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Thanks Jon

I like demo looks good
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Excellent effect JOhn. Please inform us when the stage version becomes available. I'd definitely purchase it.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
When the trick is over, can you speak to the crowd right away, or is there some "clean up" to do first?