The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Suspended Dimension DVD - The Jacketless Topit by Dan Sylvester (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Coolmagic
View Profile
New user
My mom...
67 Posts

Profile of Coolmagic
It was only a way to talk p.b.jones. It's only to understand my point of view. But I think you understood and now you are just kidding! But yeah if you wanna talk about something else, well the marketing is very important too. (good point)

"Wow that's a good dancer" Smile

VCM
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Could you give me more detail about the review?

Do we have to WEAR SOMETHING WEIRD instead of jacket? Any unatural clothes????

Could we use an ORDINARY CLOTHES?

Hengky
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
You can find a way to do it naked, but the preparation will hurt !!! Smile

No, you don't have to wear weird clothes, if the little things that you need to wear bothers you !!! Wait for somes rewiews and decide after.

The idea can be adapted if you have a bit of imagination. This is the best part for me.

Humbly
Kuffs
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
One good way to form an opinion is to tune in tomorrow night to Lance Burton's Guerrila Magic on Animal Planet. I think it reruns 3 times tomorrow night through Wed. morning. Kevin James has posted that he uses the Sylvester topit during his bit on the special. If I remember correctly I swear that he said he used it to vanish a mouse. That is what I have been waiting on to form an opinion.

Michael
Coolmagic
View Profile
New user
My mom...
67 Posts

Profile of Coolmagic
That is good to know!
Thank you Michael.

VCM
David Bard
View Profile
New user
Palm Bay, Florida
36 Posts

Profile of David Bard
Quote:
On 2003-06-30 16:36, Michael Dustman wrote:
If I remember correctly I swear that he said he used it to vanish a mouse. That is what I have been waiting on to form an opinion.

He said that he uses it to transform a clay mouse into a real mouse.
Thanks,
David Bard
m@gician.us
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Thanks for the clarification...I knew it had something to do with a mouse.

Michael
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Well, here is my review of Sylvester's Dimension.

This DVD last for 35 mins of time teaching the techniques and how the Sylvester Dimension is works. Kevin James is part of the DVD as a host to Sylvester the jester.

The idea is quite smart and creative. Whether you are wearing the suspenders or not, it still can be done. I believe that after watching the DVD, with some of your magical knowledge you can apply this technique without wearing suspenders.

The DVD teaches a number of moves from single item topiting from Jumbo comb, coins, Jumbo coins, ice cream, razor shaver, apple, cellular phone and remote control. These item are real except ice cream.

With Sylvester's Dimension you are able to produce items too. Like a real glass bottle and production of 4 REAL glass bottles starting from one bottle, appearing bottle from empty hands, bowl and plates production, and lastly a contribution from Kevin James of mental prediction. This mental prediction is just like the one where David Copperfield works with where he got a story on it and few blanks to ask the spectator to fill it up. An envelope is hanging all the time in the air in view starting from the show. The magician took it down and open the box and found that the prediction is the same as the one that the audience had filled up. Great piece of mental trick.

The video is although quite short but with the basic techniques and method you are able to do tons of stuff with it. With my experience I think that this will work better than normal topits as this system of Sylvester Dimension has higher percentage of topiting compare to normal classic topiting.

For now, lets talk about the topited item to retrive back. Well from the classic of topiting we are able to topit it and retrive it from the side pocket. But using the Sylvester Dimension it is also can be done.

Sylvester does also throw in a better way of getting rid of reels and pulls in a much cleaner way instead of wearing a thick jacket in the hot weather. Just wearing the Sylvester Dimension you are able to do Raven and other pull/reel devices and ditch them as cleanly as you ever knew. Great item indeed.

Lastly, I felt that topiting a single item is not that good. As it flashes and it is quite obvious. If you use the second technique which is taught in the DVD, it works much cleaner and visual. Using the concept of both object covering. Another word what I mean here is what produce something at the same time and vanish the item simultaneously. This works better as people will always catch on the moving object.

Well, this is my whole review of Sylvester's Dimension. If you guys have any doubt or question please feel free to ask and let us discuss it.

Overall: Get it if you like topiting works and you love to do you own custom shirt. I love it as it increases the knowledge of mine and it do works quite practical for me. I will give 3.5/5 stars.

Thanks
Symmatrix Smile

Great Chris that you bring out the comparision with Jay Scott Berry's Topits and pockets.

Well, Jay Scott Berry Topits and Pockets DVD is much shorter time which last for 30 mins only compared to Sylvester Dimension.

In J.S. Berry topits and pockets it does cover a few techniques in topiting, making topit with J.S.Berry Topit and some routines using topit. But this video is accompanied with music only where the speech is replaced by actions.

In his first 10 mins, J.S.Berry teaches the making of topit. The correct techniques of making the right topit and what makes it so different from the other topits. In this DVD the design/blueprint of the topit is not included with it. The cut out of the topit material is found in J.S.Berry Topit product. Please check it out with the dealer if you are interested. Basically, if your personal fashion designer or streamstress will know how to make if he/she sees this DVD.

The method of making this topit has much advantage compare to other topits. First, it is still the old classic method of topit design. Just some section is improve to make it better and more higher percentage of doing topiting successful. Althought the changes is not much but it do make a big differences in topiting work.

In routine of topiting, J.S.Berry covers more on coin topiting and different methods of coin topiting. Where some is quite good and visual of the naturalness of the method of topiting a coin. Other than coin topiting, Jay Scott Berry does also cover how to topit Total Esclipse, Cloaking Device and Finger Fazer. Other than these for those who works with topit should know that it can topit more than all these.

Now lets talk about the pockets. The sleeve pockets is the smartest idea and the most worth of all in this DVD. This idea is smart and easy to use. Making of it should not be a problem. This sleeving is much more better and the classic method of sleeving. Where you can control the coin, ball or whatever object that is able to be sleeve in to sleeve when you want to retrive it.

Comparing this with Sylvester Dimension and Jay Scott Berry Topit. I found that both are very good. What I can say is that Sylvester Dimension can be used in Singapore where is practical as in Singapore. Singapore is a hot and humid place where people seldom wear blazzers and jackets. Somehow wearing a jacket in a beach area doing some magic stuff with topit might get much attention with the werid attire to wear compare to a T-Shirt and a short attire.

If you are going for a theater act or show. Jay Scott Berry would be a more suitable one for it. As this time round you can wear a jacket or blazer.

For me, I think if you are wearing Sylvester Dimension on stage doing topiting it works wonderfully as it will make layman have a different concept of think that a magician jacket contains lots of pockets and secret holders and stuff like that. By using Sylvester Dimension, it make them think more where is the item had disappear to instead of them think that it goes into the jacket or the sleeve.

Well, what I can finalise is that both of them are good. It depends on what show you are working on. And remember it is the idea that you buy that's make you special from the others. If possible get both regardless of the price. As what I can say is that knowledge is priceless.

Thanks for reading.
Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Nice review Symmatrix! You covered a lot of territory. Can anyone review/compare this to Jay Scott Berry's Toppits and Pockets?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Symmatrix,

Thank's for your review about "Suspended Dimension" DVD.
Anyway I didn't understand what you mean by "you have to wear SUSPENDER".

What does SUSPENDER mean?????
Is it some kind of the clothes that people use in America or European countries?

Could you give me another words that replaces "suspender"?

Sorry, I'm not American or English man, so I did not understand what the word "Suspender" mean.....?

Hengky
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Suspenders are lenghts of stretchy cloth with clips in the ends and are used to keep your pants in place!
David Bard
View Profile
New user
Palm Bay, Florida
36 Posts

Profile of David Bard
I watched the show last night and I saw Kevin James. He did a bit with goldfish crackers but nothing with a mouse. Unless it was on the third show, but that didn't start until 11PM so I didn't watch it.

I'm old and can't stay up late like I used to. Smile
Thanks,
David Bard
m@gician.us
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Apparently the effect of him turning a clay mouse into a real mouse ended up on the cutting room floor.

So much for my theory...........
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I really like this topit, trouble is I am not sure I can make the gaff as I am terrible with a thread and needle.

Does anyone know who might be able to make up one for me.

Thanks!
Tony Chapparo
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
In response to the earlier questions about what are suspenders. Suspenders are also called "Braces" in some part of the world.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
BroDavid, If it weren't for the all too obvious presence of children on this forum, I would mention that, in some of those same parts of the world, what we calle "suspenders" are actually (gasp) garters.

ROTFL,

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Suspended Dimension is one of the most exciting pieces of magic I have seen! I hope that not many people do this because I want it all for myself!
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I know I am going to get strangled for saying this, but I am going to give my honest opinion and I hope people will take it as my opinion.

The DVD is overpriced. I know the common argument here is if it will fit in your act then $1000 is not overpriced. However, the instructional portion (with performance section) barely scratches 30 minutes - and that is with them stretching it out. The advertisement portion is just as long IF NOT LONGER! The consumer should not pay for the advertisement. I felt like I was paying for one big Kevin James advertisement with a jacketless topit thrown in there somewhere.

For as much as I paid for the dvd, the least they could have done is included a better explaination of how to make the topit. The explaination was decent, but not for what retail price is.

Also, Dan Sylvester admitted to not even using the devise very much. He says that he and Kevin James were trying to figure out uses for it on the way to the studio and they stopped by the grocery store to pick up some things to vanish, etc. I feel this was thrown together in a hurry. I believe it could have been better if they spent months working it in the real world developing ideas, getting feedback from other magicians, etc, then taught these routines and practice tips on the dvd.

It is a very clever idea, no doubt about it. The production quality seemed good. But they could have charged less, or else put some dynamite routines in there to make the dvd worth the price.

For those of you thinking about buying it, invest your money in the Ammar Topit DVD or something else. Perhaps find one on ebay for cheap.

Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I saw this and it's a dog. Another bad project to take advantage of Magic. Pass on this flea!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It definitly is overpriced and as far as I am concerned not that good. Saw it and caught him everytime he used it. If you want something better just go to a topit.