The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Curtis Kam's The Rat Pack... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Brian,

I did miss once during a show. One of the guys who saw it has mentioned the out earlier in this thread. What happened was that the selection refused to stick to my fingers, so I could not remove it. The act of trying, however, tipped the top half of the deck into the triggerplate, and the trap went off. You know how this looks--the trap jumped into the air, cards flew into the air, the audience gasps, and I come up with nothing.

I looked at the trap, and noticed that the half of the deck with the selection in it was still there, trapped under the bar. Only the other half had been tossed. So I set the trap on the table, reset it, and, gesturing to the cards strewn all over the stage, said, "well, that eliminates THOSE..."

Chuds, you can ask. But I'd really hate to spoil the illusion for you and just tell you the answer. You might ask yourself this, though. Let's say the card really was, say, on top of the deck. If it was sitting in the rat trap, would you be willing to grab the top card?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
As always, thank you for your response Curtis.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 17:12, Curtis Kam wrote:
Brian,

I did miss once during a show. One of the guys who saw it has mentioned the out earlier in this thread. What happened was that the selection refused to stick to my fingers, so I could not remove it. The act of trying, however, tipped the top half of the deck into the triggerplate, and the trap went off. You know how this looks--the trap jumped into the air, cards flew into the air, the audience gasps, and I come up with nothing.

I looked at the trap, and noticed that the half of the deck with the selection in it was still there, trapped under the bar. Only the other half had been tossed. So I set the trap on the table, reset it, and, gesturing to the cards strewn all over the stage, said, "well, that eliminates THOSE..."

Chuds, you can ask. But I'd really hate to spoil the illusion for you and just tell you the answer. You might ask yourself this, though. Let's say the card really was, say, on top of the deck. If it was sitting in the rat trap, would you be willing to grab the top card?

Curtis, thanks for sharing that with us. A GREAT lesson on what to do when things don't go as expected. Too many folks "freeze" when things wrong. Pro's always can make lemons into lemonade!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
All I can say is this - catch any part of your hand (especially the fingers) in the crushing end of the killing bar and you will remember the pain for the rest of your life, I ain't kidding either! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I just watched a video of this on another site and it does seem to be a good closer at a close-up show. Good job curtis still considering whether I would like to add this much pain into my routine.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Paisa23........anything is well worth the reaction you'll get from your audience with this baby!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
paisa23 said; "I just watched a video of this on another site and it does seem to be a good closer at a close-up show"

Really, and what site would that be?
:smoke:
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Magicvideodepot.com
I saw it last night . Sorry I didn't specify that earlier.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Do you have a link to that video? I searched and could not find one.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Try this Steve: Click here!

Chappelly
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yeah, that's the link. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thanks chappelly
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Are they allowed to put that link up without permission?
~Joe
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I don't see why not, its just a link to the video. If you don't have an account there I don't beleave you can view it. But what of it? It's just some guy performing the effect, he isn't giving away any secrets to the effect.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
In fact, I think devilix did a good job, and I'm happy to have him showing off the Ratpack, in one of its many forms. (Love the music on this, I might try it this way myself, if I could only stop talking long enough.) I also appreciate the THANKS TO at the end, that's something you don't see everyday, and it is a classy touch.

If you've got any question: a) Whether you can learn to do this, or b) What the first effect looks like, I suggest you drop by and join the over 300 brave people that have already downloaded the video.

Comments are welcome here, as well.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey Curtis,
I tried to watch the video but didn't have much luck, I'll take your word that it looks good. Though nothing can beat your personal demonstrations, minus the broken knuckles. Smile
:dice:
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
I bought the DVD a while ago but haven't had the chance to watch it until recently. The production quality is excellent! Enjoyed the teaching style.
Although I agree to keeping the untripped rat trap performance in, though it's always nice to see reactions from 2-3 different audiences in DVDs... just my preference; it's also due to the fact that I love watching magic and audience reactions.

But H()ly M()ly - I just bought a Victor Rat Trap today and YIKES! - there's a lot of Ooomph in these things. I can now completely understand the "Respect the Trap" factor.
I don't see why I need to make the trap more sensitive! It's pretty sensitive as is! I'm Still practicing... but having trouble finding the compromise between getting the card from the deck without tripping it - VS - not finding the card at all and tripping the trap.

Nice job - thanks!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
sugam, I'm glad to see you're having fun with this effect.
Yea, it's pretty insane, but that is what makes the whole trick a real crowd pleaser. If you start using this in your act, it's almost certain the other magicians (if any) in your area will NOT be copying you. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress. Remember - be one with the trap. Smile
:five:
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Hello again,

Performed it tonight as a closer to a short bar/restaurant act, and boy was it fun. I didn't do the modification to the trigger (because I was a klutz with pliers and made another trap even more sensitive). So, the new deck of cards were slipping a bit off the base, but it all worked out in the end. Love it - thanks!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-04-07 06:01, Steve Brooks wrote:
Remember - be one with the trap.

Steve,

With all due respect, I thought that what we were trying to do is to not be one with the trap. (rimshot)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sugam,

Congratulations on your success with Mr. Victor. I know the modification is a little touchy, but I'd encourage you to give it another try. Without it, there's chance (slight) that part of the deck will jam itself beneath the trigger, making it impossible for the trap to go off at all. This is the "McGuiver" solution, and if it happens, the audience might give you credit for being a genius. But probably not. Most likely they'll figure you had always planned to "beat the rap" this way, and think you were just teasing them. They really do want to see the trap go off, and the modification is just so you won't disappoint.

Thanks for reporting on your success, this is just a little tip to keep the ball rolling.

As Mr. Spock says, live long and perspire.