The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Super Gel - what is it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jack G.O.
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Jack G.O.
I am sure that many of you have used or at least heard of the chemical called "Super Gel" which is available in most magic shops. It instantly "freezes" a liquid.

I would like to know what it consists of, so that I can make it myself, without being dependent on magic dealers. Besides, I am sure it is a rather cheap chemical which is sold by magic dealers at ten times the original cost (like the "fanning powder").
MagicRyan
View Profile
New user
NH
39 Posts

Profile of MagicRyan
I remember back in chemistry class (15 years ago) my science teacher doing the old water into paper cup and sticking pencils through it trick... She used a powder that had some kind of make up... wish I remembered but she told us if we wanted to do the trick to go buy some DEPENDS undergarments rip them open and collect the powder... same stuff according to her... now that was 15 years ago DEPENDS may have something different in it and I never tried it or used this "GEL" so not sure... Just thought I'd give you a place to start!! Of course what does a package of DEPENDS cost vs. some of this super jell... I hope this gives you a start towards your discovery!!!
The Simply Magic Ryan Mahoney
www.simplymagic.net
Ryan@simplymagic.net
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Try using cooking gellatin (usually in the store baking isle) NOT JELL-O!!!

If I remember correctly that is close to the slush powder or "SUPER-GEL" but not exactly the same chemical make up.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
There is nothing in common between any type of gelatin (which is an organic material) and the "Super Gel" stuff. SG is a super absorbent polymer... that means it's actually a non-organic plastic based polymer. I'm not sure about the new "Snow Powder", though. It seems to be similar, but just in a lighter, more finely ground form. I haven't actually handled the SP, but plan to. I use the Gel Powder very often, it's a killer in a styrofoam cup, which you can basically (if you're careful) show it empty prior to adding the water.

Steve Thomas