The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Spark gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Does anyone know where to buy a gimmick that creates electrical sparks? It's for a new routine I'm creating.
Thanks.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't know how you are using it. The funken ring is good choice (Stevens Magic has them on sale right now).

If you are using it to ignite flash paper or such, a welding spark striker will work.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
If you mean sparks coming off a jerb, you want to look at a gerb or other similar device. LeMaitre makes a couple different devices that can simulate electrical sparks, you can get them from http://www.theatrefx.com among other suppliers. I've used the LeMaitre bare wire gerbs successfully for a sparking "Frankenstein" switch effect on an illusion show I consulted on.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks a lot, everyone. I think the funken rings are going to work perfectly. I'm gonna get one right away.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Why not also try sylvester the jester. his sparks fly way high. Don,
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree, Makin' Sparks does a good job. It is a little large and more expensive, but it really works well.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Hey- Andy-

Wasn't it a Gerb- that started the Rhode Island Night club fire, and killed 100 people 2 years ago? Aren't these things a little dangerous? If so- what can you do to avoid fires?

Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
El Duco's sparker -- worth every cent.!
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wanna Flasher from MagicWarehouse
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Makin' Sparks, by Sylvester the Jester is a great product. It is a little pricey, but it is the best. You need to wind up a funkin ring every time where as Makin' Sparks is battery opperated. With the funkin ring if you wind it just a little to far the guts of it start flying out of it.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
"wanna a flasher from magicwarehouse"

On the site, they have a thing called 'the pen' and am wondering is it worth the money? Also I had two 'makin sparks' and none of them worked! cheers, daz
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
I was on a flight on the way home from a magic convention. One of the guys had bought a funken ring. I borrowed it and fiddled with the air venty thingy and the call button over my head. I fired the funken ring and jerked like I had just got a shock.

By coincidence as the engines warmed up, one of the panels that holds up the oxygen masks feel off a few seats away and the three little masks hung down.
_________________________________We laughed___________

Another mean one is to use the ring in a lift before other people have a chance to press for their floor. After you getting a shock they will walk 10 flights of stairs before pressing the button.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Way back in college, my brother had just bought himself a (fancy-shmancy) soft-touch Nakamichi tape deck.
I happened to have a Funken-ring in my pocket...
The look on his face when I touched the power button Smile
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have several Makin Sparks on my sales list, plus a very rare european improvement on the funken ring -- which to me has never produced enough spark to be useful.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
BILL SPECTRE
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of BILL SPECTRE
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a Funken Ring? The better German made ones seem to have gone off the radar. I would have bought a 'Makin Sparks' but I need to create sparks completely surrounded and close up. Makin Sparks is just too noisy and big to conceal. All help much appreciated!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Steven's Magic used to sell them. I think they are out of stock currently. Maybe it's worth a try contacting them.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/funken......ttyPhoto

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
BILL SPECTRE
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of BILL SPECTRE
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I've tried them once already but didn't hear back. I guess they're out of stock. Such a great prop can't believe there's not a massive demand for them.
BILL SPECTRE
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of BILL SPECTRE
Just another cry in the wind for a good Funken ring. Anyone selling the good ones? Have bought Makin Sparks but it's just too big and also, it has the tendency to fire the flint when it's coming to and end, and could easily take an eye out! Dangerous if audience close up. Just don't understand why no one makes them, such a great prop.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have one.

Steve