The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Syncing DMX lights with music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I have quite a variety of DMX controlled lights. I have a basic DMX Jr controller. It allows you to program "chase" sequences that plays at varied tempos controlled by a slider. This is great for changing the lights but it's impossible to sync the lights to the music or a sound effect. I don't want to hire someone to run the lights. I have a laptop that already plays my soundtracks. What is my best bet to interfacing an MP3 timeline with the DMX controlled lights? I see something called ShowExpress by Chauvet. What does everyone use to get the lights in sync with the music? Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Since you already have the computer then I recommend Compu Ware Pro from Elation. We use it to program and run our intelligent lights as well as conventionals, foggers, hazers, etc.
You can program it at home with the 3D Visualizer. You can very easily design your entire stage including props, peole, etc and watch as you create the light cues and sequences.

The best part is Easy Show. This is where you will run your live show from. It is set up like a video editor timeline. On the time lines are your music, video or whatever media you are using. On other timelines are your light cues, special effects cues, etc.
One press of the play button will start your music, video and lights. They will run perfectly timed every time.

An USB to DMX convertor box is included with the software. Just daisy chain this to all your dmx operated equipment. A very thorough library of all current light fuxtures is included as well as the ability to design your own from scratch.

Some of our illusions use music only, while others use full multi media with video. This has worked very well for us.

IM me if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Do you mean DMX the rapper ?
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
That's right, Matt! He's got a part-time job as a theatre tech now.

Kevin: I read Elations' description. Our theatre is considering scrapping our old light board and replacing it. It sounds like we can replace it with a laptop! Is that true? (If so, wow!)
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I mean DMX intelligent lights. They use computer type signals. I think what Kevin has suggested is perfect for what I need. I only have the follwoing requirements.

1.) I must be able to perfectly syncronize the music with the lights. If there is an explosion sound in the soundtrack, I need my lights to all react accordingly.

2.) I need to have somnething that is triggered remotely...like a midi trigger. This would be wireless and be concealed from the audience. The reason is, I may have 15 tracks I want to play in 1 illusion. I do not want the next track to play until I trigger it. My fake vent act would be an example.

3.) It would be nice to be able to mix MP3 main sound tracks with WAV files in the mix using the timeline.
Basically, multitrack playback. The multitracks could be combined into a final track, so it's no big deal if it doesn't. This would make it easy to add final sound effects to some action in the audio, and controlling the DMX lights simultaniously.

My laptop is a Pentium 4 2.65Ghz with 40MB HD and 512MB RAM. My DMX Lights are 4 COLORTRACK III's, Chauvet Abyss (kewl light) the Chauvet Intimidator and my centerpiece is Chauvet Aurora 550 (Incredible light show by itself!).

As I mentioned, the lights now are just a pain as I have no real control. Programmed chase sequences. During music numbers, I just program the Aurora to sync to the beat and let it go. I would like to add some dimmable PAR cans to my light setup for a stage wash and control EVERTHING with a TIMELINE based software interface. This is something to keep in mind when designing a light package for your show. Thanks Kevin for the link above, I'm checking into it to see if it fits my needs.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
As a member of USITT (United States Institute of Theatre Technology), I would recommend that you go to the souce: http:/www.usitt.org and look up the DMX512 standard. It's heavy reading but it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know! It gets "geeky" but that's what we're all about.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Yes a light board can be replaced with a laptop. Even the big daddy of them all...the Whole Hog III by High End has a light board on a PC...the Hog PC. It runs around $1500 and the Elation Compu Ware Pro runs around $750.
Muzicman...the lights and music will be perfectly timed and everytime. By the way, we were just in Washington state. We had three shows, George, WA at the Gorge, and Bellingham, WA. Maybe catch you in 2005 when we are back.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
An option might be winamp, their is a DMX plugin to control 64 channels.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Folks, I have researched this subject for quite some time now. It amazes me how many in our profession don't put more emphasis on their lights. To me, it's VERY important as it sets the mood and the ambiance. The pro's know the importance. The same is true for sound. I went and saw a very good ACTION type movie. I really enjoyed it. I took my kids to see the same movie at a different theater and the sound was terrible. It changed the way I was absorbed into the movie. The first theater had THX and booming bass, the 2nd theater had 2 "tinny sounding" speakers and no bass. From that point on, I only see movies in THX as the price was the same to see that movie at both theaters. The same holds true for my home sound system and my TV. I spent $1200 on my TV and $3500 on my Home Theater Sound System. The same is true for my stage shows where I supply my own lights and sound.

The final answer to syncing LIGHTS with SOUND is ELATION Compu Ware Pro. This is fantastic software that lets you sync lights, sound and multimedia like a projecter. There are units that do the same thing for 400% more. You can buy cheaper units but they fall short because of difficulty programming and reliability. Thanks to Kevin and Kristen of Living Illusions for showing me the "TRUTH".
MRDJ
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MRDJ
Hi guys can I use ELATION Compu Ware Pro in my DJ set up to sync my lights to my mp3 tracks ? can anyone advise me on how this is done ? can I play my music thro ELATION Compu Ware Pro or do I have to link my dj software to ELATION Compu Ware Pro ? could really do with some advice I have been looking for a software solution to this for quite a while now just stumbled upon this forum and it looks like ELATION Compu Ware Pro might be the answer ???
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Compuwre Pro does indeed play music. Once in the program, open up Easy Show. You will see various timelines for music, each lighting fixture or group of fixtures. On the audio timeline where your specific music track is, you will see volume envelopes. There you can place fade ins and fade outs.

Hope that helps.
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com