The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Mirrors without Reflections (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Is there such a thing as Mirrors without reflections? I can think of a method that might work, but not sure it would.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, and I hope this was the right place to post the topic.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
What are you looking for? It's like the old joke, what do you call a boomerang which doesn't return. The answer is a stick.

What do you call a mirror that doesn't reflect. A window? A wall?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Just watch a horror movie called House The Guilty cannot hide, and in the movie there is this very interesting dark room with red furniture and a mirror on the wall that these characters discover has no reflection.

So, I thought it was interesting that there might be an actual mirror out there without reflections.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Does a tree that falls in the forrest make a sound? Is a mirror without a reflection a mirror?

Jim
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but your question reminded me of this video:

http://quirkology.com/USA/Video_MirrorTrick.shtml

-Brad
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I can think of three rough methods for creating the illusion of a mirror that does not reflect the viewer for a single room.

First, create an exact reversed duplicate of the viewing room on the other side of a thin faux wall. Build a clear no-glare window in the wall framed to look like a mirror. The viewer sees an exact mirror-reverse image of the room he's in that shifts freely with his perspective - without his image showing. The added benefit would be having ghostly actors enter the mirror room leaving the viewing room weirdly empty.

Have a glass smith lightly etch an invisible ghostly face into the backside of the window. Place a remote mister at the back top of the window and a bright clouded pin light at the back base. Remotely activating the mister and pin light will create a fogging affect similar to breathing on your glasses to clean them. The fog and shadow lighting will cause the ghostly etched face to appear and stare back at the viewer.

The second would be a set of 3-5 high detail photos of the room taken from slightly different angles out from the wall on which the mirror will hang. Process the photos into a single fine glossy 3-D image similar to the ghost paintings that change from ancestor to ghost as your perspective changes. The 3-D process allows the room to shift slightly according to the viewers perspective somewhat like a mirror - but without a reflection of the viewer.

Third, as Brad suggested, employ a flat screen television screen framed to look like a mirror. Replay video of the room taken from the wall perspective earlier.

Just a few creative and very rough thoughts to ponder.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Thanks Skip, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I like the 3-D idea the best.

One thing I hate is non-glare glass, so this option is out the window.

Thanks for helping out,
Keith
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I think Jerry Andrus had a mirror like this maybe with Vampire in the title. I know I he has something but sorry can not recall for sure.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
They did an old Candid Camera spot with the duplicate room behind the glass in a powder room with matching items on the counters and everything. They even had twins walking through the shot on both sides. The look on the people's faces when they couldn't see their own reflection was very funny!
Ray Pierce