The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Good fog machine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Hi, just wanted an idea as far as good fog machines out there. Looking for a fairly small unit, this would be used in small parlor type settings. Do they leave a residue, or lingering oder? Would like to find the "cleanest" type out there Thanks much!
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
Most of your mobile DJ companies sell small fog machines. Reside? Not unless you spray the smoke DIRECTLY onto the floor. Oder? that's a matter of opinion..i say no..but I like playing with a smoke machine.

Check Amercian DJ or Chavet they are two of the bigger "dj" companies.

Beware - they do set off fire/smoke alarms though. I set off an elementary school alarm a while back during a 5th grade musical with mine. Luckily the Principal knew that it MIGHT happen and had a plan in place so we would not have to evacuate the school.
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Thanks for the info, I will check out the DJ companies. I was wondering about possible smoke alarm issues
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
No smoke alarm issues here except someone pulling that alarm thinking it was smoke
lol

Most use a water based solution so there are not problems. It's not smoke. No carbon.

Also, always buy more than one since they have a heating cycle (the more expensive ones have systems that can continually keep it on), which will cause them to remain unusable for a certain period. By having two, you reduce the risk of having that one being in the heating cycle when you need the fog (or rather haze)

Now if you are looking for a lowlying fog, then you want a dry ice fogger and that will lay on the groud...absolutely no fire alarm problems.
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Thanks for that Bill. Another idea I want to work on is spicing up my Mini Asrah routine with fog. Do they make a small unit by any chance? I have been looking at the fog affect they use in small table fountans any other ideas? Thanks!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
They have mini mini foggers, fog in a can, and there is/used to be a magic product that produced little bursts of fog/smoke from your hand.

I honestly don't know enough about those fountain fog lamp things to comment on them.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
When I need one, I use one of the foggers that Michaels sells around halloween time. Got it for about $15, plus a timer remote.

It works very good.

I built a chiller out of a stryofoam container that steaks came in. Some aluminum dryer tubing to bring it into the box, and a slit in the bottom of the opposite side.
-Matt
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I supply a lot of fog machines to haunted houses and one thing that I've discovered is that the brand of fog juice you use is as important if not more than the machine itself. I think "American DJ" sells a really good fog juice.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-05-29 14:31, Bill Nuvo wrote:
No smoke alarm issues here except someone pulling that alarm thinking it was smoke
lol

Most use a water based solution so there are not problems. It's not smoke. No carbon.

The water based (propylene glycol) machines won't set off the older smoke detectors. Some of the newer fire alarm sensors we've run into use an infra-red detector that senses any particulate in the air and any smoke machine (even water based ones) will set them of. You'll need to check with the engineering at each hotel to get it approved.

Quote:
On 2009-05-29 19:40, ceme20 wrote:
I have been looking at the fog affect they use in small table fountans any other ideas? Thanks!

These transducers make the water in the bowl vaporize into tiny droplets and it looks like fog. I've got a couple of large commercial units that are pretty fun to play with. The trouble is that they must maintain a consistent water level above them to function well. As they work, the water level drops and they lose their effectiveness. We had to develop a float cut off to keep the level consistent. You have to have a LOT of them to even get close to a dry ice machine.
Ray Pierce
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
[quote]On 2009-06-12 16:17, WDI Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-29 14:31, Bill Nuvo wrote:
lol

The water based (propylene glycol) machines won't set off the older smoke detectors. Some of the newer fire alarm sensors we've run into use an infra-red detector that senses any particulate in the air and any smoke machine (even water based ones) will set them of. You'll need to check with the engineering at each hotel to get it approved.

[quote]

Well hey, you learn something new everyday! Thanks for that
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Be aware that you also need to worry about not only particle sensors in the space you are in...but also particle sensors in the HVAC system. Now many venues have separate air handlers or can isolate handlers. Many however either cannot or will not do that for you, specifically high school auditoriums.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com