The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Need to find a specific chain hoist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hi all,

When I got a backstage tour of "Oliver", the stage tech showed me a chain hoist/motor that was used to raise up heavy set pieces, mainly to gain floor space. It was basically a boxed industrial motor that fed out/ retrieved the chain. Does anyone know of a source for these? I've found several chain hoists listed from various industrial supply companies, but these all have a chain in the range of 10 to 20 feet. The one I saw had a chain that was at least 30 or 35 feet long. Thanks!

Phil
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I think I know what you are talking about, and I believe you would find it at a theater rigging supplier I would look for stage trussing and rigging, I saw one in PLSN magazine. So you could go to their site and see if there is an ad for these. You could also call Springtree.net and see if they can help as they are pros with sound and light, they probably can get one or tell you where you can.

Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Hey Phil...
CM Rigging & R&M Hoist are two companies used a lot in concerts. You can get them in almost any lentgh. Just make sure to stay with 115 Volt single phase unless you have acess to three phase 208 Volt. They go even higher than that on voltage, but typically you will only use single 115V or three 208V.

http://cmrigging.com/ProStar.asp
&
http://rmhoist.com/concert-hoists.htm

Hope that helps.
Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Kevin has pointed out the CM Loadstar motor. It's the standard of the rock'n'roll (and magic) industry.

The length of the chain is a product of the size of the chain bag, the chain only runs through the motor so it can be as long as you want.

There are other motors out there, but in America, the CM is the industry standard.

Just be sure to get one of the black "upside down" motors made for entertainment, not the "rightside up" motors made for construction sites.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They also come in different speeds.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Just make sure you have a up and ground rigger on the call. You have to make sure they are attached properly to the grid to avoid any accidents.