The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Wireless Mics... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
Hi there, I'm a Hollywood sound guy. We use wireless setup made by Lectrosonic around 1400 dollars. The transmitter and receiver are both portable and run on batteries.

The microphone we use is typically a Tram or a Sonatrim microphone. These are the mics of choice when we need a wireless mic. They will cut together very nicely with a boom mic. This setup creates a nice bottom end. The mics run around 250 dollars.

If you have any other questions, ask.

halcon
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
To those of you acquainted with the Fender Passport 250 system—

Will the Wireless Executive mic set (docking receiver, transmitter, headset, lavelier) work with a venue's own sound system when necessary? If adapters are needed, which ones?

Much thanks,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
I have the lapel mic from Radioshack too, and a 170mhz receiver. I don't get too much sound from it. I was wondering if it was the mic, or could I get more sound if I upgraded to a 900mhz receiver? Or any other advice on getting more sound out of the mic?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have the Radio Shack mike that you speak of. I stopped using it years ago, because of problems with poor gain and signal jamming. Don't overlook trying to get information on signal gain and feedback rejection on any mike that you want to buy. I've gone back to using a wired handheld mike—a Sennheiser Evolution 845s. The mike is so good that I was able to stand in front of the amp, getting excellent signal gain, with plenty of volume to spare and no feedback.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Necromancer,

I've got the Fender Passport 250. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, so I'll describe the Passport setup, then you can ask about more details.

The wireless set includes two wireless mikes (a headset mike, looks like what they wear in the drive-thru, and a lapel mike) and the receiver. The receiver unit is a small box that installs inside the Passport unit. On the back of the Passport is a door that you can stow the cables and one of the standard mikes inside. There's a spot where the reciever unit screws in.

Once you've attached it, you're done. The receiver lives inside the center console. It takes up a bit of room, so you can only squeeze one of the two corded mikes into the compartment, but so far I haven't ever had to pull the corded mike out and use it.

The center console of the Passport has outputs that go to the two speakers; I suppose you could connect from there into the house system, if that's what you're thinking of. Then you'd be using the center console without the speakers, as a big wireless base station. There is a setting you can pick that allows the Passport to function as a monitor setup, incase a band wants to hear themselves.

The Passport 250 fills big spaces so effortlessly, and covers a wide range so well that both voice and pre-recorded music sound good. And it's easy to set up.

Hope that's helpful. Ask if you need more info.

Jeff
LanceRich
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LanceRich
All this talk about Sennheiser - and I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand knowledge or experience with the SKM 3000 or 5000. I know that they are both exceptional mics, particularly the 5000's paired with a Neumann capsule (it won vocal mic of the year last year I believe.) But, I was looking for some input on them.

Andy, I know you were talking about the Evolution series, so I thought maybe you had some input on this mic. I'd love to hear it.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have just this past year invested in a sound system. I have been doing magic for 13 years and have always had to borrow sound systems when I had a big show. This past year I bought a SHURE UHF headset mic and two jbl eon 10 g2 speakers. These speakers are powered so I can plug in the mic and minidisc player into one speaker and piggy back the other speaker and have great sound without a mix-board.

I think the sound from my mic is great. I have had several people come up to me after shows and tell me that the addition of a sound system has greatly improved my shows. I put off buying a sound system because I was not sure it would increase the quality of my show enough to justify the cost but I was wrong and my shure mic has done me well.
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
A proper sound system can make or break your act ... it all depends on your needs.

Handhelds sound better than Lavaliers because you can "eat" the handheld ... giving you more gain before feedback.

To get more gain from a Lavalier, mount it as close to the mouth as you can.

And learn about equalization and reverb ... this will help you maintain a consistent sound from venue to venue.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Being a "live audio" professional (magic hobbyist), I certainly concur with everything Andy Leviss said earlier in this thread, as well as what backroomboy just said. Speaking in the most general of terms, the equipment you use is not as critical as the HOW you use it. Using equipment of a better quality will improve your sound, but not until you learn how to properly use it.

It is EXACTLY like buying an expensive stage prop, and going on stage with it before you're ready to perform the illusion. It doesn't matter how good the prop is if you don't know how to perform it with mastery. Same thing goes for your PA. A first-rate mic, wireless & speaker system will not perform well until you have a very good handle on the basics. The basics include mic placement, speaker placement relative to the mic, and speaker placement relative to the audience.

The next step is equalization, but NOT until the other three concepts are fully-grasped & applied. As with magic, the greater your grasp and application of the basics, the greater the effect!

Cheers from Toronto!
Magic Rodie
Dan McLean Jr
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Necromancer
I have the Fender Passport 250 with the executive system. This is a custom system especially for the Fender Passport. You can not use it with other AMPs. Although you could do as Jeff suggests and use the line out feature to connect the P250 into another sound system.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-04-24 09:11, Backroomboy wrote:
Handhelds sound better than Lavaliers because you can "eat" the handheld ... giving you more gain before feedback.

A good handheld can also provide much better off-axis feedback rejection, at a much lower price than a lavalier. I use my handheld with a gimcrac holder. It rejects feedback so much better than any lavaliere ever did. I can even stand right in front of the speaker without feedback!