The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Audio Ape (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2017, Powermagic wrote:
Audio Ape sound like it is an admired product. I am curious why those that ordered in advance would do so when the item does not have a track record? I mean $600 is a bit steep for just an audio remote control. I am sure I am missing something in why it costs to make. I would like to read reviews on any piece of electronics I buy and would like the knowledge that it is road tested and the product holds up. I mean they are already on V2 and was V1 even out for more than a year yes?

I have seen may control systems come and go in the last 10 years that cant be replaced or fixed. So what made you take the leap of faith?

They went to V2 because they sold out of V1 and they wanted to make improvements. My V1 worked very reliably for 1 1/2 years (I was an early adopter of V1) but I went ahead and did the upgrade. Most of the improvements are unseen as they have to do with protecting the electronics and the improved power management. The V2 also adds an additional command to the center button if you use OneTrack or Go Button.

I've used 5 different remote systems over the years, including three Virtual Soundman units, and the Audio Ape Remote is the best I’ve used. It's extremely reliable and I have total confidence that it works like it’s supposed to.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks Michael
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I also own the V1 version and have been using it for more than a year now. I didn't bother to upgrade as it serves my purpose and it never failed me. I use mine with Show Cues app.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, Michael Messing wrote:

I've used 5 different remote systems over the years, including three Virtual Soundman units, and the Audio Ape Remote is the best I’ve used. It's extremely reliable and I have total confidence that it works like it’s supposed to.

Well it seems you are already preconditioned to spending a high dollar on audio remotes.
Now your statement is not accurate if you are speaking about the new version. There is no track record for V2 yet. The past version can not be used for future versions since if they modified the board.

Many commercial products have this happen. And sometimes companies don't find issues until tests are done by the masses.

So I was just curious about the mindset of early adopters, especially if the had the first one.

PS they should have silent buttons. The beauty in self control is they don't see or hear anyone running the music. That click might give some confidence but for that price,it would be one of the main reasons I would not buy this.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Powermagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, Michael Messing wrote:

Well it seems you are already preconditioned to spending a high dollar on audio remotes.
Now your statement is not accurate if you are speaking about the new version. There is no track record for V2 yet. The past version can not be used for future versions since if they modified the board.

Many commercial products have this happen. And sometimes companies don't find issues until tests are done by the masses.

So I was just curious about the mindset of early adopters, especially if the had the first one.

PS they should have silent buttons. The beauty in self control is they don't see or hear anyone running the music. That click might give some confidence but for that price,it would be one of the main reasons I would not buy this.

The click is very faint and it can't be heard unless someone is standing right next to you. It certainly can't be heard when have music playing. It's more of a feel thing, which makes me know the button has been pressed properly. (It took practice to get the feel for pressing the buttons for the Virtual Soundman remotes, while the Audio Ape remote took very little to get used to.) These days, I do my share of birthday parties so my audience is close to me and I've never had someone say they noticed my remote. Even at a distance of three feet, the kids usually ask me how I'm starting and stopping my music.

My reference to it the Audio Ape Remote being reliable was for the V1 but I fully expect the V2 unit to be just as reliable but can't say that it is yet. I did use the Audio Ape 2.0 for a show on Sunday and it worked exactly as I expected it to. I had tested it thoroughly before doing so. I am not "are already preconditioned to spending a high dollar on audio remotes." I am preconditioned on controlling my music remotely, doing it successfully, and making my show the best I can. I make my living as a performer and, if a device is going to make my show run more smoothly and more effectively, I make an appropriate investment. I've spent as little as $25 for an RF remote system in the 80s that only started and stopped my audio cassette deck by turning the power on and off on the deck to nearly $1,000 for my first Virtual Soundman unit (which was the least expensive remote system being sold at that time that had the features I wanted.) When I decided to go away from MiniDisc, I went to a simple iPod Nano and a $35 iJet Remote. (I put silent tracks between my performance music and let the silent tracks play in the background between music tracks.) The iJet Remote was reasonably reliable, although I did have a few times it let me down. It, also, did not give me the option of fading my music.

Once music apps, like Show Cues and OneTrack started appearing, I switched to using OneTrack with an iPod Touch and and the iJet remote. Again, it was reasonably reliable but I made sure my iPod Touch was close enough to me when performing that I could get to it to start and stop the music if the iJet failed. I bought the Audio Ape v1 when it was offered at the beginning because they offered a money back guarantee, the features offered were what I wanted and the price was much lower for the pre-sale. It delivered on everything I expected. I did the v2 upgrade because of the assurances that improvements had been made and I would have a much lower net cost on the V2 than the selling price. (When you upgrade, you are able to send the V1 receiver back for a rebate. It currently is a $200 rebate but it was more during the initial offering.) In addition, I get to keep the original remote trigger (which is the same as the V2 one) and the original antenna and cables. I planned on buying a spare remote from the beginning so this took care of it. The accessories I get to keep are worth about $150 if I had to buy them separately.

I've seen remotes systems that are very basic and inexpensive, like the iJet, to pretty expensive, like Kerry Pollock's Show Tech which was more than I needed and more than I wanted to spend. Each individual has to decide what features they want in a remote system and how much they're willing to pay for it. If you want to wait for reviews on V2, I certainly can't blame you (although you couldn't get one immediately anyway as the first 100 were pre-sold so you would have to wait for the next batch). Both when buy V1 and V2, I took advantage of special pricing that was only available when first announced.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
The answer still is there is no proven track record or longevity of V2. You cant just assume anything at this point. So it worked for you last show that does not mean something they put on the new board holds up after the warranty. If you want to be honest, you have to admit that until the same model of ANY electronics is out and tested by the masses, there is no real way to know. I am not saying it is a bad product rather just curious about the blind faith to pre pay allot of money for something untested. I will wait to see how it fairs in 6 months to a year. I can wait.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm not an Audio Ape customer (yet), but I will make this observation.

Their products have gone through a testing and approval phase with Apple themselves. This is why it took so long to actually send the products to customers. (In fact, I recall reading posts on Facebook from Audio Ape, where they said there was a back and forth process of 3 tests and corrections involved before they could send out their current product.)

So to say that it's "something untested" is not really accurate.

From a recent link I posted, this quote is from the Audio Ape website:

Quote:
We are past all design and testing FCC, CE, and Apple for all our products. We are going to be a steady supplier from here on out.

I'd encourage those who are skeptical to read through their Facebook posts: https://www.facebook.com/audioaperemote/

- Donald

P.S. There were posts back on the first page (of this thread) talking about all of the testing going on with the new product.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Power magic. Some of just have money to spend with all the money that we make performing magic. That's my reason. Now the real reason my friends saw the first version at a magic convention said looked and worked great. I called the guy he had great peoples skills so I took the chance. I have always used my professional iPad and remote from show cues never ever had a problem. I wanted a back up. And who know my even sell it. Hope this helps.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks Bairfoot
Donald. I think some are missing the point. Apple does not test EACH unit.Now Audio Ape is growing, If they produce too many they might not put each one through their paces. Just think of the electronic industry as a whole. You never got a bad product you had to return to the store to exchange? I think the point some are missing is that regardless if a product is in the hands and works well . I like at least 90 days and get some real road test reports on V2 NOT V1. Many top certified devices are still have a failure rate or don't live up to claims. basing claims on what the previous version did is not smart shopping. I think every major show control device that came out last 10 years eventually had issues and many are no longer made.

I do hope it is a wonderful product that does the job.

Keep the reviews coming in after 3-6, and 12 months of pro use. I look foward to reading them.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
You welcome Power. Very good post!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I have been using V2 for several months and has been perfect so far. I had been using an iJet but in my main performance space, the location of my audio gear is close to a large transformer and it became intermittent at best. even standing 6 feet away is just wasn't consistent. The Audio Ape V2 seems bullet proof for my needs. Yes, it was more expensive but worth it for my peace of mind. I usually use this system for my smaller shows but use a laptop for my theater shows as I have more advanced needs including DMX and MIDI outputs. I'll probably be adding his Media Monkey laptop remote soon.
Ray Pierce
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I have used my audio ape once worked great. I still using Show cues. Might be selling it.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, Ray Pierce wrote:
I have been using V2 for several months and has been perfect so far. I had been using an iJet but in my main performance space, the location of my audio gear is close to a large transformer and it became intermittent at best. even standing 6 feet away is just wasn't consistent. The Audio Ape V2 seems bullet proof for my needs. Yes, it was more expensive but worth it for my peace of mind. I usually use this system for my smaller shows but use a laptop for my theater shows as I have more advanced needs including DMX and MIDI outputs. I'll probably be adding his Media Monkey laptop remote soon.

Same here. I've had no problems with mine whatsoever. I'm running it off a battery bank (I did have to buy one that has a USC-C port).
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Hi
Does audio ape have an ankle controller?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, makulit974 wrote:
Hi
Does audio ape have an ankle controller?

At one point, he made a limited number of them. I recommend contacting Audio Ape to see if any are left or if there are any plans to make more.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Does anyone here know why the music comes out so low when I use the Audio Ape. The theatre I do shows at really has to push their volume up. Thanks
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, Bairefoot wrote:
Does anyone here know why the music comes out so low when I use the Audio Ape. The theatre I do shows at really has to push their volume up. Thanks

Are you using it with a DI box to go to an XLR cable for connecting to their system? If not, are you using the 1/8” cable directly from the Audio Ape?
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks for calling me Michael. YOU know your stuff. Thank you.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

My pleasure.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I recently purchased an audio ape remote. I had been playing with it for a few weeks before I got the chance to use it. Tonight was the first night. At the gig I set up my EV Evolve sound system, hooked it up, sound checked it, everything was good to go......then at showtime it was frozen. I turned off my iPad and unplugged the audio ape then got them both on and still it was frozen. I couldn’t freaking believe it!!. Fortunately the remote still controls your playlists on the iPad itself.

Has this happened to anyone?