The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: TCC Magic Mental Billet Pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JustJohn
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of JustJohn
I was attracted to this pad because of its sleek billet adaptation (how nice for the routine to contemplate leaving behind your business card), sensible peek rationale and size. I've used the Parapad and I think I'll stick with that.

The MBP comes with a leather (or leather-like) flip pad that can easily carry half a dozen business card-sized billets. It's marketed as a combined impression pad, swami writing surface and a place to keep an out-to-lunch insert. Each magician will have to rely on self-reflection to consider the value of the latter two uses.

The peek move is clean but the impression is not; far from it. The best possible impression is obtained in bright, bright light and only after the pad has been reset. Reset is accomplished using the supplied Sharpie and it's a difficult task. The instructions say to go slow, and that's definitely required. But even then, the secret sauce that supposed to do the clearing work isn't a great match for the task so it can be a challenge to get a reset that subsequently will enable a reasonable impression.

The impression is not clear. I couldn't in good conscience rely on it for a performance, since it's quite possible I, as performer, won't be able to read what's been written.

Maybe mine's an outlier - I'm waiting to see what TCC says.
a.single.V
View Profile
New user
Hanoi Vietnam
87 Posts

Profile of a.single.V
I am just aware of this now. I think the impression is the most important feature, and if it does not work well, that sucks and I will have to pass. Hopefully someone else will chime in, or TCC themselves. Thank you John for writing this review.
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
A magic prop only a mother could love.
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
108 Posts

Profile of mkarav
I had the same problem with the impression that was illegible and weak. I think the magnet in the sharpie is not strong enough to penetrate the leather cover and billet surfaces. I experimented with other pens to no avail. I contacted TCC and they were very accommodating issuing me a credit for purchase amount.
JustJohn
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of JustJohn
TCC told me they're making and will send me a new pen to try, with a bit of discount off the price I paid. If that works, that would be good. I like the fact that it's a pad rather than a notebook, quite compact.

The pad stays closed when not in use due to a couple of magnets in the leather. I wonder if those magnets are interfering with the impression.

I've used the Justice Pad but lost the marker and haven't been able to find a replacement. I've had problems with the Parapad pens as well. And Psypher markers are tough to come by.
a.single.V
View Profile
New user
Hanoi Vietnam
87 Posts

Profile of a.single.V
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2024, JustJohn wrote:
TCC told me they're making and will send me a new pen to try, with a bit of discount off the price I paid. If that works, that would be good. I like the fact that it's a pad rather than a notebook, quite compact.

The pad stays closed when not in use due to a couple of magnets in the leather. I wonder if those magnets are interfering with the impression.

I've used the Justice Pad but lost the marker and haven't been able to find a replacement. I've had problems with the Parapad pens as well. And Psypher markers are tough to come by.

Please keep us updated when you get the new pen. Thank you
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of DJG
Have you, by chance, tried the Psypher Sharpie?
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of DJG
I went ahead and picked up a few sharpies from Robert Smith's Psypher. They did the trick. It works the same way, except the reset is using the bottom of the pen. At $15, they were a nice quick fix!