The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: CupOoodles and Silencer By Hottrix-My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Hello all,

I just finished playing with and rehearsing these for a series of summer shows.

For those of you that missed it here is the effect:
Transport objects into sealed packages!
Borrow a ring, coin, signed playing card and make it reappear in a completely sealed and shrink-wrapped cup of noodles.
Just think about the laugh you get, pulling out a Cup of Noodles and tossing it into the audience.
Now think about the ultimate astonishment if this completely sealed package actually contains an object that vanished in a spectator's hands.

Yes this gimmick does just that. It is pretty clean, but I found it took a lot longer to find the best way to use it on a box of animal cookies. This is a trick dependent on presentation. You have to sell it. You have to play with it.

I tried it just for fun on my "seen it all" wife. She was stunned, She ripped the box open to find the method but never saw a thing.

The download manual is up to the normal Hottrix standard. My one piece of advise is try it with something heavy, I found a folded bill would get stuck in the gimmick a touch, workable but something with a tad bit of weight is better in my mind.

Silencer I did not like at first. I thought it would never do as well as the ad stated. I was so wrong. The sudden silence is amazing, I do wish the bag was truly empty, but I think you can work that into the bit. I am sure it is the same as CupOodles but I liked the book.

I would reccomend this.

Mr Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Mr. Phil,

Thanks for your review. Of course, dozens of people were posting on this effect, "What's it do?" "Does it live up to the hype?" "Can you [fill in the blank]?" I wish all those people would post their reviews of effects after they have bought them.

My hat's off to you. I've been thinking of getting this effect, and this review is useful.
Jorge Gonzalvo
View Profile
New user
Spain
71 Posts

Profile of Jorge Gonzalvo
Hi from Spain:

I´m thinking for a long time to get the effect, but I used to have some kind of doubt, but I will consider it after your posts.

Thanks
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I don't have Silencer but I love Cup Oodles!!! You will have to buy some more when you run out of ''the stuff'', but it's worth buying!!! I give it a 4 out of 5, it's almost perfect!!!
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
About how many performances will "the stuff" last you? Is it stuff that you could just buy off-the-shelf yourself?
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I've heard lots of bad stuff about it too. Is it a ***, I'm gonna kick myself for not thinking of this effect? How long is the setup?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
It will last about 80 performances. You might be able to buy it but you would probably have to order it from some specialty shop. Set up is usually a minute or so. When you buy Cup Oodles you'll receive an address where you can get the stuff at a good price, less than one third the price of the trick.
I strongly recommend this trick!!!
It's easy and stunning!!!
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I hate to ask but can it be adapted for use with a fortune cookie?
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
While you couldn't use it to get a message inside a fortune cookie, you could use it to get the fortune cookie inside a sealed container or packaged food!!!

It would take only the slightest modification. If you decide to get it, I will tell you how to get objects the size of a large cookie and bigger inside sealed objects. P.M. me, if and when you get it.
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
You don't need dupes do you? Is it really that strong? I'm seriously considering getting it. You guys are tempting me... hahaha
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
No, you don't need dupes. I really enjoy performing it.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Hello,,,,When the spectator opens the cup o soup or other sealed package, and then finds the object the magician got into the package, dont they tear apart the package looking for an opening etc?....and can they find an opening or other gaff on the package?

Thank You,
Bob
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Thanks Marvelous,
Be expecting a PM in the near future. I've been wanting to work on a routine finishing with a signed coin found in a sealed fortune cookie, but maybe after getting the cupoodles I'll think of something else.
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
When they open the sealed package the only chance they had of finding an opening or gaff on the package is over. The chances of them discovering something before it is opened is one in a million. You really should get this. I love it. It's really that good!
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I never was happy after I purchased a thumbtip from them. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and I still perfer using just a reguler ol thumbtip. The only thing that intrests me from Hottrix is the Selvester Pitch, now tha looks cool.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Can this be used for both stand up and close up effects? Also, when the gimmick wears out can you make a replacement? I live in Australia so having to order one every 80 shows or so could get annoying.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
Here's my take on the effect. CupOodles is wonderful - Can be used stand up, and close up, and the effect will KILL when presented well. Silencer - save your money. This misleading 'vanish' effect is better suited for trying to fool the blind. If you decide to order CupOodles, I'd advise against the Bonus pack that comes with Silencer - you're wasting your money. I sent an email to Hottrix about my disappointment, and they've yet to respond to me. (This was my first order to them, and probably my last because of this)

To answer Adam V's question, you cannot make the gimmick yourself (or perhaps you can find an alternative source closer to you...I'm not sure) But reordering the replacement gimmick is cheaper than ordering the effect itself.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
This sounds pretty cool guys! I would like to know if this can be done with a restaurant item. Such as having a folded up signed card or marked coin appear in something on the table. Maybe a sugar packet? For those of you who have it...could you name something that might be on a table that the item could appear in? Thanks a bunch guys!

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi guys, I was wondering where the package has to be when you are getting the item inside it?
can it be in full view or does it need to be in a case etc?
cheers
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
Accra, Ghana (ex-London, UK)
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
RegalFan - I think a sugar packet is too small. Remember you have to prepare the package in advance so you would have to plant something on the table. I'm guessing that the package needs to be, at least, bigger than 2" around the "lid" area.

Steve - the package needs to be hidden in some way. The instructions recommend taking it out of a paper bag that has been on full view. I'm not sure if there's any way you can get around this because of the things you need to do to it.

Graham