The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: REVIEW: Fobulous! by Steve Shufton (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
My Lovely Assistant
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of My Lovely Assistant
REVIEW: Fobulous! by Steve Shufton

RATING: 4 out of 5 stars!

LINK TO REVIEW: http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/5097

Let us know what you think about Fobulous!

FOR MORE REVIEWS GO TO: http://www.mylovelyassistant.com

FULL REVIEW: Fobulous is Steve Shufton’s unique version of a copper silver transposition, but with top quality leather (or at least it looks like leather) key fobs.

With this trick you get two key fobs that each have a different logo on it. One a red heart and the other a black star. The quality of the key fobs is top-notch. You also get a super clever gimmick that makes the trick possible, a small 20 page instructional booklet and two uncut keys, if you wish to add them to the key rings that are on the fobs.

A long, long time ago, there was something called books. Magicians used to learn magic from them. Then there were VHS tapes, then DVD’s and now video downloads. This technology seemed to change the way many people learned magic. Well, flashback time, there is no DVD or video instruction here. Yes, that’s right, you have to read to learn here. Don’t worry, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow and the illustrative photos of the steps in the method are excellent. In fact, the photos are exactly where they need to be… on the page you are reading about that particular step (with one exception). The booklet teaches how to do Fobulous in your own hand or the spectator’s hands. If you do it in the spectator’s hands, they need to be able to follow instructions just as a spectator in a copper silver routine would need to be.

At the beginning of the routine, the fobs are handed out for full examination and in fact the spectator is encouraged to examine the fobs very closely. Then the fobs seem to change back and forth. The whole trick takes just a few seconds, but it is very strong and visual. It almost happens too quickly, but that is the trick. When you end, you can end clean, if you make yourself clean. Stay away from grabby spectators.

You can use the fobs for real keys and carry this trick around, but I would not put any unique keys on the fobs, unless you have one on each.

The ad copy is accurate. The promo video is not super high quality, but it shows you the effect being performed by two hands over a table for the camera without any spectators. It is set to a trippy jazz jam that sounds like Miles Davis, but I am not sure…Steve?). There are subtitles in the video with minimal patter. I really would have liked to have seen some live performances to hear a suggested patter, to see how audiences interact with the performer and how they react to the trick.

The price seems a bit high, but the quality of the fobs and gimmick is excellent so you get what you pay for.

If this sort of trick is in your wheelhouse, you will not be disappointed.
Visit www.mylovelyassistant.com for magic product reviews.
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
318 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Thanks for a dynamite review, Jeff. This continues to be a favorite trick of mine. I saw your video review when it first came out some years ago, but it isn't until now that I'm reading your written review. Very cool. So - the music is from my own band - and since you elevated it to the height of Miles Davis, I'm humbled - extraordinarily.

There is a brief performance video you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZEv_wTiT1c

and the trick (and every effect of mine) is available at www.shufton.com.

I can also be contacted easily: steve@shufton.com

Thanks again for a great review, Jeff!

-Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com