The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Best Combination Lock effect? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
A difficult one to answer of course, and as I once owned the rights to the Grismer Lock, I may seem biased towards it. I assure all however, that is not the case. It is just that in my humble opinion the Grismer Lock now marketed by Paul McCaig and beautifully made by master locksmith, Mick Hanzlik is still the best of its kind out there, for numerous reasons; too many to mention here. I understand that 2015 pre-orders are now being taken and will be dispatched next week. Paul McCaig has told me that in honour of Ray Grismer's wishes, to keep the Grismer Lock exclusive. there will only be 20 black with silver dial models and 5 chrome models made available for 2015.
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Briefly, to add further,check out Richard Osterlind's routine with the Grismer Lock - very strong. Ray Grismer was over the moon with the improvements we made to his lock. It was his wish to keep it exclusive by setting a price that would keep the time-wasters at bay. Paul McCaig is a truly genuine guy to deal with, and the Grismer Lock is very safe in his hands. I used to finish my lectures with my Grismer Lock routine and it always fried magicians. This wonderful lock and Paul McCaig have my very highest recommendation.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
How does the Grismer lock compare to Mick's other lock the Supalock - which I just recently ordered?

I know the Grismer is a combo but from a performance standpoint... advantages or dis-advantages?

Do you feel the combo style is cleaner and more fair somehow?

I'm brand new to locks and this will be my first. Thanks
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
What is "best?"

I have a Grismer lock, love it, and perform with it periodically.

I also have a Correct Key lock (and set of keys). I probably perform with it more often.

The Grismer Lock is a combination lock; the "correct key" opens the CK lock.

It is apples and oranges. Two different kinds of locks, each permitting a different range of effects than the other. I cannot say which is best, except that that one is best than makes it possible to perform the kind of effect you have in mind.

George
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
In retrospect, 'best' is not the appropriate word. As George mentioned, what is 'best' of course, is what suits you personally. For my own personal needs, the Grismer Lock ticks all the right boxes, and is 'best' suited to my needs. I also use 'Supalok' occasionally, and it's a great lock, but, from the layman's perspective, it's a one-in-five chance of you or the spectator getting the correct key, nevertheless, it's still a very strong effect, and a beautifully made lock. With the Grismer Lock, from the same lay person's perspective, the odds of them cracking the combination (according to Ray Grismer) is about 60,000-to-one! I also like the fact that you have no keys to worry about, the chance of a loss etc. The Grismer Lock also has a clear combination dial, the spectator doesn't have to strain to see or set the dial, which can be a problem with many combination locks in certain lighting conditions, (even if the spectator is wearing glasses). As with 'Supalok', the Grismer Lock is in the spectator's hands from start to finish. It is purely a personal choice, but the Grismer Lock wins hands down for me!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Thanks Steve and others for the kind words about my locks. Supalok is becoming very well established in the mentalism world, but also the Grismer is up there too. As I can only manufacture 25 Grismer Locks per year (only available fromm Paul McCaig, and NOT from me) I can tell you that they always sell out way before the year is over, so please get yours soon to avoid disappointment. Supalocks, in 3 sizes are available all year round, also from Paul McCaig. You are not limited to 5 keys. I can make as many keys as you need. I once won a club competition with a Supalok with 100 keys! Smile
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Mick is right about the keys, he could make you as many as you'd like, but then you're stepping into 'overkill' territory. Nevertheless, I am taking nothing away from 'Supalok', it is superb, and as already stated, I use it occasionally, and it always garners very good reactions. I heartily recommend both these locks, the preference is yours... or why not buy them both? Mick is a real craftsman, which is why, rather than anyone else, I wanted him to make the updated version Grismer Locks. Treat yourself. You won't be disappointed!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, Mick Hanzlik wrote:
Thanks Steve and others for the kind words about my locks. Supalok is becoming very well established in the mentalism world, but also the Grismer is up there too. As I can only manufacture 25 Grismer Locks per year (only available fromm Paul McCaig, and NOT from me) I can tell you that they always sell out way before the year is over, so please get yours soon to avoid disappointment. Supalocks, in 3 sizes are available all year round, also from Paul McCaig. You are not limited to 5 keys. I can make as many keys as you need. I once won a club competition with a Supalok with 100 keys! Smile

I just spoke to a friend that owns both and decided that my decision to get a Supalock will suite me best.

Mick - your reputation is amazing and I can't wait to see your wares.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Have fun with 'Supalok', you'll love it I'm sure!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Patlock is the one I've used for years. Totally reliable and easy to do.

http://patrickpagemagic.co.uk/product/patlock/
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3352 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I have all sizes supalocks (close up, stage ) and the Grismer Lock with a beatiful designed routine for it for my new stage show. Both the locks are 100% releable and professionally made by master locksimth Mick Hanzlik. If you want to add a lock routine to your act this is the only way to go.
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
I mentioned above that 'the Grismer Lock wins hands down for me!' I wasn't comparing it to 'Supalok', but with all the other combination locks out there. To put it succinctly, personally, 'Supalok' is the finest 'LOCK & KEY' effect I've ever seen, and the 'Grismer Lock' is the finest combination lock I've ever seen. I cannot praise Mick Hanzlik's work highly enough. He is a true craftsman and a real gentleman. If you purchase goods from Mick or Paul McCaig you can rest assured of receiving top quality items, and will be treated with courtesy, politeness, efficiency, honesty, fairness and a great after-sales service... attributes often sadly lacking today.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I got my middle size Supalock today and it is a rock solid and beautifully designed piece. Highly recommended! Can't wait to use it. Very deceptive and hands off methodology!
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Just a quick note to thank all who have pre-ordered the 2015 Grismer Lock and to let you know the last of them were shipped-out this morning.
There are now only two more 'chrome' models and twelve 'standard' Grismer Locks available for 2015.

On behalf of Mick Hanzlik and myself, I would like to wish everyone here on the Café, a very nice festive break and a happy, healthy, 2015.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
The limited edition 'Chrome' models have now sold out, with only a few more standard Grismer Locks available for 2015.

A happy new year to all here on the Café Smile

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
I have found the Grismer combination lock to be of exceptional quality. I am planning to incorporate it into a routine that plays off of the Osterlind effect mentioned earlier in this thread.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Hmmmmm...wanna play a game?

Give me the serial number to your Masterlock padlock and I'll give you it's combination.......

(caveat: it has to be made 2004 or prior)

Of course, if performed for real, I'd take your lock and surreptitiously, sneakily, all sub-rosa-like get that serial number I need while I talk to you about something trivial......can't do that here....

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2014, mindhunter wrote:
Hmmmmm...wanna play a game?

Give me the serial number to your Masterlock padlock and I'll give you it's combination.......

Bryn

Wow, no takers......
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2262 Posts

Profile of dmoses
You've got *me* hooked Bryn!
I wanna run out and find one just to get the serial number!

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Well let me know, and I'll try to mentally "pick the lock" here....

Bryn