The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Prohibition vs. Passing Through (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scratch72
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Scratch72
Hey Guys,
I know that both of these effects are very powerful penetrations and a little different but if you had to choose one which would you choose? I am asking for your opinion. Which is better?

Prohibition or Passing Through?

God bless,
Carter
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
534 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Prohibition without a doubt! Passing Through doesn't even compare in my opinion.

-Matt
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Well....this is not even a contest. Although Kevin Parker does have some cool effects and Passing thru looks really good, there is nothing that looks as good as Prohibition. It is hard to compare them since they are so different but if you are asking, Prohibition wins in a landslide... I love the fact that you can do Prohibition practically impromptu. For Passing Thru, you need to have a glass table and then there are some other things you would need. Its a great effect but not in the same class as Prohibition.

Prohibition would win this one hands down!!

Marc
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I think they both have their benefits to be fair.

Passing Thru is a slow penetration that to the right laypeople and with the right presentation (all the emphasis on the right parts of the performance) can be a true miracle, however there are downfalls that specs can think that maybe there was a coin in there the whole time which, true or false ruins the great illusion that you have created.

Prohibition is a very visual effect but the pace is much quicker, this is maybe a downfall for magicians but is unnoticed by laypeople. I feel this seeming downfall is not that much of a downfall at all as long as you concentrate on what is importrant, what works for a spectator. Personally the fact that the bottle is examined before the trick is what is the sell for me, Prohibition is a a great routine, Passing Thru is a great illusion that a trick is built around.

My two pence.

Ben
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hey Marc,

I don't mean to question your statement in a bad way but I'm sure you are thinking of Descent and not Passing Thru.

Talk soon mate,

Ben
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Ben...

Great point...I love that you can give them the bottle before AND after and they are always speechless... Great point...

The only thing that comes close to Prohibition, in my opinion, is Labelled...I think Ben can tell us a thing or two about that one! If you haven't seen it, you need to check it out....signed label thru a sealed bottle and then you hand out the bottle and they take it home!! Not as great as Prohibition but pretty dang close.

Marc
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It depends in what ways you are asking it is better? Visually, Passing thru could be classed as better as it is slow, the spectator literally can see the coin be placed right up into the bottle. In prohibition, it is a quick movement and quick penetration, meaning it is the audible factor that will sell this effect.
If you are asking from a magicians perspective then I would say prohibition wins hands down. Can you be a little clearer on what perspectives and points you want the choice based upon? Is it a perspective in that you want to buy one and want to know which is better in method, set up etc, or are you asking about which is better to the spectator in examining etc?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Oh crap...I was comparing it to his Descent....sorry...

My review still would be about the same. I like Passing Thru as it does look visually incredible...but I hate trying to ditch the gimmick and the optional setup required is kinda troublesome...

I guess if anyone ever wants to compare Prohibition and Descent, I will already have a post for it!!!

Marc
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
No one ever accused me of being real smart...

sorry!!!

Marc
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Hey, Marc Long time no see! LOL!

Yeah, I think both have their advantages.

I'll have to go with Nechto on the visualness for Passing Thru and the quick penetration for Prohibition.
It's important to know the difference so you can see which one suits you best. As long as you realize you do need gimmicks and a little time to set up.
Choose your weapon and Strike!
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Hiphopperco,

yeah, long time no see...we need to get together more often! lol

By the way, check back to see my review of sawing a woman in half vs. the torn and restored card!

Marc
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Prohibition has its advantages because you end a lot cleaner. I have never been caught doing Passing through, but getting clean can be somewhat trickier to do if getting burned. Since Prohibition, I have not felt the need to use passing through because the reactions I get with Prohibition are much stronger. Don't get me wrong, passing through is a great effect,but IMHO Prohibition gets more bang for my buck. I would really like to see that effect gobrownstd54,I suspect you would finish cleaner with torn and restored card(lol)
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
492 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I have to agree with you Irishghost!!! LOL
Scratch72
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Scratch72
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input, it really helped me out.

Take care,
Carter
rippedandrestored35
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of rippedandrestored35
Prohibition is a great trick
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
847 Posts

Profile of oombob
Prohibition wins.... on it's cleanliness alone.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Prohibition just for the fact the bottle is held more cleanly on the presentation and the bottle can be given out to get the cap out of the bottle. The captrap works very visually also. I have both and use prohibition.
Nighthawk
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Nighthawk
I have both....both are visually very effective....and the visuality of Passing Through can be breath-taking....but I have to say, since Prohibition Passing Through has remained on the self...Prohibition is unbelieveably clean...far cleaner than Abyss that I also have.....and the Cap Trap move is so eloquently simple yet effective.....
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
You need to carry around a huge bottle when performing Passing Thru. Upside down no less. Prohibition you just grab the nearest bottle and perform. Prohibition wins.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Prohibition wins, simple (Passing through is still a great effect).

Why - Well all you need to do is grab a (borrowed), bottle and cap. Then you're ready to VISUALLY slam the cap right through the bottom of the bottle. EVERYTHING in prohibiton is borrowed and there is practically NO set-up, meaning once you've mastered the routine you will have an improptu miracle in your arsenal, ready to go at any time!!