The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: "Reading is Magic" by Barry Mitchell- A review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Hello. I finally have decided to get this awhile back and after a few days of testing and trying it out at home, I decided to give a review of it.
The story is great and entertaining, it also gives a great moral being the story of King Midas(everything he touches turns to gold). The routine is about 4 minutes long, using the cd perfomance.
It comes with a tape of Barry Mitchell performing the effect so you get a good idea on how you should try to perform this.
There's alot given for the whole effect. The 5 gold nuggets given in my opinion are great production items which you can use probably for any other production routine you might have or to make a "gold" nugget appear from under a silk.
Also, you get a coin dropper and a finger flasher which you can use for other things as well. All you need is flash cotton for the flasher. He doesn't show or have in the instructions how to use the flasher or coin dropper but it's not too hard to figure out. The only bummer about the coin dropper for me that is, is that I was expecting it to be made for quarters and it's made for half dollars but it's not a problem since half dollars are not hard to find and can get them easily in many ways.
Everything in the ad for this is exactly as described except for when it says "specially gimmicked heart" which I find pretty misleading. The heart is just a wooden heart on a popsicle stick that you can do a "paddle" move with if you know what I mean.
Everything else is correct though.
Everything fits in the book nicely and you can probably easily add more stuff in the book.
The routine on the cd is mostly made for children, birthday parties, school assemblies, gospel magic, and mixed audiences, ect.,in my opinion, where it would work best for.
You could easily modify this effect without using the given routine and make up your own if just performing to an older age/adult group, by saying it is the Magic book of spells, Wizard book, ect. I'm not saying the routine on the cd wouldn't work with older age groups though becuase of some of the comedy mixed in and the moral and purpose of the effect.
The only things that is recommended to use with this that didn't come with it is a box to put the items once produced in, and a stand to keep the book up on like by an wire frame and the book leaning against it to easily produce the items and have it opened like reading a story from an apodium. Also maybe a cloth doll to be King Midas's daughter if you want to add some touch to the routine but is not necessary to have to perform it, and flash cotton for the flasher.

Well, it all comes down to the question, is it worth the high price and to perform?
Well, in my opinion, at least for me that is, it is worth it. It would be worth it more probably for those who like to do magic that tells a story and lesson, gospel magic, children's magic, mixed audiences, family and friend's, friend family events and parties, ect.,and to perform for schools. That's what I like to do so it is worth it to me.
For price I give it a 3.5 star.
As advertised?: A 4 star.
For creativity, I give it full 5 stars.
Performance and routine: 5
And for use, a 5.
Overall rating: 4.5
Recommended overall?: Yes
Remember, this is just one person's opinion, if you have any questions just ask and I'll glady answer them for you.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic Smile Smile Smile
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
"Half dollars are hard to find"?????????????
Mack - They cost about 50 cents each at every bank in America

Dave
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-09-29 15:37, Dave Egleston wrote:
"Half dollars are hard to find"?????????????

Dave

Sorry, I wrote that wrong, I'll edit that.
I know you can easily "find" half dollars, it's just trying to say that I was expecting it to be made for quarters and not half dollars. Thanks for catching that and I'm sorry.
Sincerely,
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Good Review Mack.

Even though I didn't buy it I saw Barry Mitchell perform it and looked over the book pretty good. I would say your review is justifiable and accurate.
Dennis Michael