The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Pro Viper Snake Basket "NEED HELP" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
He uses a real snake and a smaller key fob! - j/k

I have both PV1 and PV2. Both are great, except PV2 uses smaller key fob. Never had any problems with mine.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Add my name to the list of those who encountered problems right out of the box.

I just received mine recently, and went to try it out today. When turning on the switch, no light came on. Tried the remote -- light comes on there, so I know the remote is ok. Changed the batteries, and the little light by the switch still doesn't come on.

Contacted the creator and seller for suggestions. After paying around $600 for this, I am not a happy camper.

Brian
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Based on the complaints, this seems to have a horrible track record of reliability.

Regards,
Mike
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
After months of debate, I ordered a new pro viper III. After my problems with pro viper II, I was more than skeptical. But Hocus treated me well with my earlier problems so I took the plunge again. Thankfully mine has worked consistently. Doesn't seem to be anything new with version III other than that the snake seems to be a bit smaller and for some reason is now red. But the main difference is that this one works. So sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully you ordered from Hocus because they should take care of you.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I did order from Hocus Pocus.

Thankfully, I've got it working now. Here's the timeline:

1. Emailed Terry Lunceford -- no response

2. Emailed Hocus Pocus -- Ken from customer service responded, saying that he had left a voicemail Terry Lunceford, and would get back to me when he received a response from Terry

3. After reading through this thread, I PM'd Craig Filicetti. Craig responded right away with some questions and suggestions, which helped me get the problem figured out. Thanks Craig!

Turns out the receiver and the remote have to be in sync. After opening the bottom of the unit, I took out the receiver. On the side there is a small button (like a reset button). After pushing it in for about 5 seconds, the light starts to flash. Then I push the remote button until the light becomes solid and stays on. After turning off the whole unit, and then turning it back on, it worked perfectly.

BTW, there was nothing in the instructions about having to sync the remote and receiver. I wonder if this might be part of the problem that others have experienced in the past.

Brian
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I had one several years ago and to be honest there was a whole lot of problems with it. The basket was not flat on the bottom and the snake kept getting caught on the way out. The small ringlet that the thread went through the snake came off after a about 20 goes. The spindle that releases the snake only turned about one third of the way after pressing the remote which made the set up quite nerve racking. It flat out failed on me in a couple of shows and after explaining all that to a friend of mine he mercifully bought it off me. I hope he has better luck than I did. For the price it was very disappointing indeed.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I have the first style - the one with the gonzo remote from an rc toy - still works great!

It is tough to hide the remote though - I just tell people that I am happy to be there! lol
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I also have the first version. I mount mine under a table top at the rear. When I start the routine I put a couple of noise maker items there which I have the spectator use to get the snake to come out (the spectator gets to keep these since you need new ones for each performance due to them blowing into them). The top just sits on a metal stand so when it is time I just pick up up and hold it for the spectator to choose the ones they want to use. This also gives me access to the button. Works great!

Jim
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
At a show this morning I had planned on using the Pro Viper. As I was setting everything up, I tested the unit to make sure it worked (as I do at every show). It didn't work (although it worked at three shows yesterday).

When I came home, I took the base off to sync up the remote with the receiver again, as I did when I first got it. Much to my relief, it worked fine after doing this.

I'm not a big electronics person, but is it normal to have to sync up the remote with the receiver once in a while? What would cause them to get out of sync?

Brian
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
I have never had a problem with my Pro Viper II. I always make certain to put new batteries in prior to each show.....
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hello there, this is gaia germani from italy. I have recently received the pro viper but I have a problem with it, probably my fault but I need explanations maybe.
I can't make the motor work. On the dvd it says that there are three batteries to be placed but I only have room for 2 9v batteries. that's probably because the video is from an older version. thus said, I place the 2 9v batteries and if I activate it with the remote I can hear a buzz or some kind of noise but nothing happens and the pin thinghy holding the snake in place doesn't move. do I miss something or is the unit broken or what do you think?
thanks
Gaia
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ummm......

for what it's worth, I have NEVER had a problem with Abbott's snake baskets...I'm on my 3rd one.......works like a champ and I always get Terriffic customer service from Abbott's.

Also, I suggest listening to Chance Wolf...Chance KNOWS HIS STUFF..is A STRAIGHT SHOOTER, and has given me outstanding, over-and above customer service!

Now if I could only get one of those "Wolf-ized" Jack Hughes snake baskets........wow they look awesome!!!!
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Any help?
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
For what it's worth, I've learned, even with new batteries, no trick that depends on remote control is 100 percent dependable. That's a fact.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
The main thing to remember is to make sure the switch is ON!

Only took me ONE time to never forget this again!
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 18:18, Signor Blitz wrote:
I have the first style - the one with the gonzo remote from an rc toy - still works great!

It is tough to hide the remote though - I just tell people that I am happy to be there! lol

Prior to looking in the basket, I put on a helmet, a catcher's chest protector and a large set of thick rubber gloves. Then I do the gag where you ask the spec to go look in the basket, and they kind of stare at you since you're the one wearing all of the protection. The remote is hidden in advance in the gloves, which are big enough to allow control over the remote while the spec goes to check the basket. The gloves hold their shape, with the fingers extended, even if you have your hand completely wrapped around the remote inside. I have the ProViper III, so the remote is smaller, but you could hide a full-sized TV remote in the gloves.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Where did you buy your gloves?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Home Depot, in the gardening department, for $5.95. They are extra thick rubber, therefore they hold their shape regardless of hand position, and are supposed to be good for cleaning chemical spills. They cover most of your forearm.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
asmae
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of asmae
Sounds like pro viper is made very poorly. I will be forced to make my own using quality electronics.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've owned 3 of them, none ever failed. Quality electronics all over. Nobody's forcing you to make one, unless the price of a new one scares you, which it did me. Bought the last 2 of mine used and saved big bucks.

Steve