The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Review Requested - Emotion Box by Hakan Varol (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Everydayshuffler
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Everydayshuffler
I have one pretty much brand new sale. Pack down version. Pm me if interested
Everydayshuffler
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Everydayshuffler
Still available

Email me

Mymagicforsale@gmail.com
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
My friend bought it and it is worth every penny. I love it.

Mike
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
I owned and used the Hakan Varol emotion box and I really liked it and used it often to great success and reactions. Decided to sell it, because Boretti just (January 2020) came up with a changed version of the original effect/original box. Check out his website. I like it better for a few reasons, but why I would rather discuss with owners only, rather than in the open forum. I can certainly recommend the Varol version, but I`d rather recommend the (much cheaper) Boretti version...
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2020, GetMental64 wrote:
I owned and used the Hakan Varol emotion box and I really liked it and used it often to great success and reactions. Decided to sell it, because Boretti just (January 2020) came up with a changed version of the original effect/original box. Check out his website. I like it better for a few reasons, but why I would rather discuss with owners only, rather than in the open forum. I can certainly recommend the Varol version, but I`d rather recommend the (much cheaper) Boretti version...

Can you share the website? Sorry, I found and translated, but it says "original" under "Emotion Box." Can you give me link to the product site? Edit: I've tried to go through the order process, but can't navigate to see any USA shipping price/info.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2020, stempleton wrote:
Quote:

Can you share the website? Sorry, I found and translated, but it says "original" under "Emotion Box." Can you give me link to the product site? Edit: I've tried to go through the order process, but can't navigate to see any USA shipping price/info.

https://boretti-shop.info/Gefuehlsbox-De......-Boretti
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
343 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Quote:

Hello,

Is it possible to remove the front of the box? In the video, it seems that you can't remove it.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Looks a little better than first version but still ugly. Method looks different in that you can apparently stick your hand through the top, but still looks like you can’t remove the front panel.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
You cannot remove the front panel on either edition. The newer version has a major improvement over the original in regard to what can be produced. Compare the savings difference between either of these and the Emotion Box. If I hadn't already bought the original box I would buy the new one. You can see the video on the link I posted above.
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
As Terry already said, you cannot remove the front panel, which is a pitty, but not a deal breaker for me. I have worked the Varol version for a couple of years now and now I have sucessfully started using the new Boretti version. Yes, you can have the specator stick her hand from the top down and touch the first object like in the Varol version, to understand what she has to do throughout the routine. You can also casually show the box from the back, not a problem. To me it has a few advantages as to its interior workings over the Varol version. I do not want to get into details, so as not to give away the secrets, but let`s say that what the specator feels makes more sense in this version, is to be found at a place where she expects it to be found, can actually really take the whole object into her hand and really holds/feels that it is a "whole" object. She also might not feel some weird other "things". Nuff said. If you own one of either the two versions, happy to chat with you privately...
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2020, GetMental64 wrote:
As Terry already said, you cannot remove the front panel, which is a pitty, but not a deal breaker for me. I have worked the Varol version for a couple of years now and now I have sucessfully started using the new Boretti version. Yes, you can have the specator stick her hand from the top down and touch the first object like in the Varol version, to understand what she has to do throughout the routine. You can also casually show the box from the back, not a problem. To me it has a few advantages as to its interior workings over the Varol version. I do not want to get into details, so as not to give away the secrets, but let`s say that what the specator feels makes more sense in this version, is to be found at a place where she expects it to be found, can actually really take the whole object into her hand and really holds/feels that it is a "whole" object. She also might not feel some weird other "things". Nuff said. If you own one of either the two versions, happy to chat with you privately...

But it looks like a magic prop......This is the main advantage of the Varol version. It doesn't look like a prop and there is no explanation as to how it could be done. Also, the newest version allows it to pack flat which is a big plus.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2020, elimagic wrote:
Quote:

But it looks like a magic prop......This is the main advantage of the Varol version. It doesn't look like a prop and there is no explanation as to how it could be done. Also, the newest version allows it to pack flat which is a big plus.

Boretti new version: $319 US Dollars
Varol version: $1760 US Dollars
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

And you’re point? Quality is expensive. However in this case not only is it if better quality, but the design, the way the varol versions looks and functions greatly adds to the deceptiveness of the prop.

Let me paint it another way. A piece of carbon paper is a few dollars. An electronic IMP pad is 1000+ depending on which maker you choose..... both allow the same thing but the advantages of the later make the price difference worth it.

Or a non electronic example. A cheap set of multiplying bottles is $200 ish dollars where as the top of the line hanada extreme bottles are 1500. Same effect but the higher quality materials and higher quality design directly impact the level of deceptiveness.

Of course the varol version is more expensive, it’s a far superior prop that as someone who gets paid to perform, is well worth the difference in cost. For others where that is not the case, then the cheaper version may be the go.
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
Yes Boretti's sensory box looks like a magic trick but that's exactly what it is. No the slide cannot be removed like the emotion box but you can still show the box all sides with the slide open. The rest is presentation which all effects depend on how you present it. I own the side entrance model and admit the top entrance is better and the side entrance box will not hold larger items like the emotion box. How ever the cost is too much for the hobby performer but I would buy the Varol version if I could afford it. I can understand the full time performer wanting the Varol version due to the more deceptive qualities and that it can hold larger loads and that it can be broken down to pack flat at extra cost of course. All in all they both do the same thing and I have never had a problem with anyone about how the box looks or what it does. The folks that I have presented it to really get a kick out of it and go away wondering what just happened. Folks don't like to be fooled but they do like to be amazed and either box will do just that. I own the older Boretti version and am delighted with it.
I don't understand all I know about this
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2020, elimagic wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

And you’re point? Quality is expensive. However in this case not only is it if better quality, but the design, the way the varol versions looks and functions greatly adds to the deceptiveness of the prop.

Let me paint it another way. A piece of carbon paper is a few dollars. An electronic IMP pad is 1000+ depending on which maker you choose..... both allow the same thing but the advantages of the later make the price difference worth it.

Or a non electronic example. A cheap set of multiplying bottles is $200 ish dollars where as the top of the line hanada extreme bottles are 1500. Same effect but the higher quality materials and higher quality design directly impact the level of deceptiveness.

Of course the varol version is more expensive, it’s a far superior prop that as someone who gets paid to perform, is well worth the difference in cost. For others where that is not the case, then the cheaper version may be the go.

The cheaper version is fine for me.

Carbon paper works for me and it has for 40 years! And I don't have to worry about electronics or batteries going bad at the wrong time. Not saying electronics are bad, only that they may not be sure-fire (I've heard several stories). There's obviously room for carbon paper (or non-technological methods) and electronics.

I have read various discussions about the multiplying bottles where magicians state that the effect doesn't fool anyone no matter the cost of the bottles. It's all about the presentation and whether or not the audience is entertained.

I perform the original Boretti version with the sliding cover and the hole in the side. Works for me, although there is one modification to the new Boretti version that I think may be worth the extra money.

And with a little creativity you can weave a story around the box (and do some cosmetic work) as I have that moves it away from the "magic box" genre. Turning it around shows the box is empty.

I can't prove this, but I don't think any spectator has ever wondered, "Why does the cover slide?" It's simply how the box is made.

As far as deceptiveness goes, the first time I saw the Varol box I noticed that the spectator didn't have to reach down very far to touch the article. I think the side hole may be more deceptive.

And as I stated earlier, I believe it's all about presentation.

Just my 2 cents.

Do you own the Varol version? Good for you if you do.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
If it works for you that is all that matters and it is all about presentation, however, I like that I don't have to justify the box, it justifies itself because of how innately innocent it is. To each there own is fine. My issue was that your response initially was to simply post the prices of the two, seeming to imply that the cheaper version was better because it did the same thing at a cheaper cost where my entire point is that on a high level, yes, they do the same thing but the deceptiveness and way they do that thing make the price difference very much justified. I've got the one that reaks down and I've even assembled it during the show before where I think adds to the deceptiveness as well. It's like floating tables, yes, you can by a 300 dollar knock off or you can buy a losander. They both float, and essentially use the same gimmick and method to do so however Losander's tables, (besides the fact that he created it) for most of his models, actually look like wood tables where as the knock offs always look like a crappy magic prop. (I realize that isn't a perfect comparison to what we are talking about here but it's just to motivate a point).

Glad the cheaper one works for you. I would prefer everyone else in the world use that one and I will stick with my varol version Smile
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, elimagic wrote:
They both float, and essentially use the same gimmick and method to do so however Losander's tables, (besides the fact that he created it) for most of his models, actually look like wood tables where as the knock offs always look like a crappy magic prop. (I realize that isn't a perfect comparison to what we are talking about here but it's just to motivate a point).

Again, Losander did not invent the floating table. As for the current topic, I ordered from Boretti but my paypal fiancing option is not available at the moment. Also, the 7-10 day shipping option to the US is half the cost of the product
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I don't really have much to add. I own both boxes but will only ever use the Emotion Box. For me, the appearance of props matters but, more importantly, I like that I can literally hand the emotion box to someone and let them handle it all they want. They will never find anything. Because of its totally plain appearance, even when I hand it to people they generally don't even want to look at it. At most they give is a polite 5 second scan because the design makes it look impossible that it could be gimmicked. In fact, when I got mine, the dvd was not included. So I had no idea how it worked. I tried to figure it out for 15 minutes by playing with the box and still had no clue. So for me, that total freedom is worth the extra cost.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Here is another model in the US at a very low price. No vid demo that I can find.
https://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/produc......em=61955
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I emailed Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus this morning. Paul confirms that the Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box has the feature to allow the hand to be placed all the way through to the bottom of the box (with the front panel lifted) as shown for the newer Boretti Sensor Box version.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.