The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: SnowStorm By Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 15:51, spatrick wrote:
Ixnay66,

Excuse me for not rushing right out and purchasing every Sankey effect out on the market. I just think that this is one of his not as godd effects. he has made some winners in the past, but this is not one of them.

By the way, if you check the reciepts, I did purchase this effect. I did not steal it. I am fully qualified to review it.

All I am saying is that I don't think allot of thought went into creating this one. Anyone who has a working knowledge of card moves can come up with this premise on thier own. I did not imply that you should rip off anyone.

S. Patrick

They can indeed come up with it on their own, but they DIDN'T. Sankey did. so then the effect is his.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
What kind of logic is this????

Since it does not fool magicians, does it mean it's not good??? Am I missing something????
Yours,

Ivan
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Candini, daffydoug, niva.. I agree

The impact of a magic effect is always in the presentation / showmanship
Reverse engineering is not an ethical rationale to steal
The effect is in the eye of the spectator. If "fooling magicians" is a criteria of quality, then should we never perform a "classic" ???
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Spatrick is not trying to "RIP OFF" sankeys effect. I know that if I saw an effect that I liked I would try to figure it out myself first before buying it. I'm with you spatrick, anybody can make the trick in a few minutes with a sharpie. Call me crazy but if I can figure out the handling of a trick, I'm saving my money for something else. Just because you don't buy the "special cards" does that mean that you won't get the same effect? Absolutely not!
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I don't think the issue is whether the effect is lessened by using homemade or alternative gimmicks. The issue is whether it is ethical to do so when an originator is trying make a living off that effect.

I'm no legal eagle, but my understanding is that the intent of copyrights and patents are to protect one's creations, but unfortunately these tools are time consuming and expensive to administer. Philosophically, just because an inventor didn't formally protect their invention doesn't make it ethical for others to recreate it.

I'm
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Lamentably, ethics are hard to come by in today's magic scene.
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
There are some effects for sale out there where, when you see the demo, you instantly figure it out. People generally react two ways when this happens:

1)Because I have worked it out its rubbish ( This is not true in most cases, you must think with the mind of the layman not the magician).

2) I have worked it out for myself and I like it so I'll make my own. STOP!!! Before you saw this demo had you any idea yourself of creating this effect.If you can honestly answer yes then carry on. But if you have looked at it thought "doh! , that's so simple why didn't I think of that" then you should morally pay the guy who has put this idea in your mind.

Because lets face it, if people keep ripping off ideas from demos then the demo's will disappear and we will be back in the bad old days of buying things sight unseen, and some horrible things there were !
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I admire Sankey for putting demos on the web even though he knows they can easily be figured out. And almost everything he has put out has a demo.
Yours,

Ivan
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
In defense of spatrick, here's my take on simple magic ideas for sale: if the trick is THAT simple, it should have been published in a magazine or included in a book or lecture notes and sold with other effects. I'm growing wearing of inventors who try to sell every little idea they had, individually for $10 or $15 a pop.

But...Sankey stuff is usually great and I highly recommend "in a flash" and "the big finish."
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
So should In A Flash be included in a book or DVD or anything Sankey for that matter??
Yours,

Ivan
jcrai
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jcrai
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 13:26, Scott Horn wrote:

I'm no legal eagle, but my understanding is that the intent of copyrights and patents are to protect one's creations, but unfortunately these tools are time consuming and expensive to administer. Philosophically, just because an inventor didn't formally protect their invention doesn't make it ethical for others to recreate it.

The purpose of copyright is NOT to protect people's creations, but rather to foster and encourage the creation of art by giving artists a LIMITED monopoly over their creations. The protection itself is only a means to an end. Check out Article I, Sec. 8 of the Constitution. The framers never intended that copyright protection last for as long as it does; it was meant to last only long enough to allow the artist to recoup their time investment, at which point the work would return to the public domain. The ever-increasing length of copyright protection is mainly the result of lobbying by Disney.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
SNOWSTORM is the deal of the week on Jay's site:

SNOWSTORM is the perfect 'winter card trick!'

Regularly $20.00, SNOWSTORM is now JUST $9.99! And the first 50 orders will even receive "double the equipment" absolutely FREE! So ORDER NOW!

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48026
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 15:51, spatrick wrote:
Ixnay66,

Excuse me for not rushing right out and purchasing every Sankey effect out on the market. I just think that this is one of his not as godd effects. he has made some winners in the past, but this is not one of them.

S. Patrick

I entirely disagree. When I went in to do my demo/interview for a restaurant gig this was one of the effects that I did. It blew them away. It still does. I still perform this in that same restaurant 2+ years later. People really like this effect and it is one of my favorites as it is offbeat and gets good reactions. In my opinion this is one of Sankey's best effects he has ever put out.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I have to agree with paso8396. The trick is fast and visual PLUS you have a justifiable reason to shake the card because in real life you shake a snow globe.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
This used to be a regular part of my close up set - I'm glad to see the email from Jay because, frankly, I'd forgotten all about it. I never thought it was an opener or closer, but a superb offbeat effect for the middle of a set. And for $10, it's worth picking up.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
And because it is so visual... KIDS love it also!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I stand by this. It's a great effect, and with good presentation skills, it kills.
jordanamystika
View Profile
New user
IN
52 Posts

Profile of jordanamystika
If you watch the video you could probably see how it's done...that being said, you could buy it for respect of the artist, or you could just create your own because you probably own what it takes to do this effect.