The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: INSIDER by Marck Oberon (123 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
Blaylock
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Blaylock
Whilst this is clearly a cleverly made gimmick, it would not be used by top mentalists such as myself.
Asking a spectator to write down their thoughts and then hand them back to you is very 1970s. You under estimate modern audiences if you think you're fooling them by doing this.
If I do ask them to write down their thoughts (mostly I don't), I leave it in their hands - I never touch it. Yes the techniques to achieve this are advanced but whoever said convincing mentalism was easy?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yeah right Blaylock, funniest post I have heard for a long time Gaz 😂😂
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2467 Posts

Profile of benbv
Also, Marc Oberon is clearly not a top performing mentalist! Smile
Blaylock
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Blaylock
Glad you enjoyed it Gaz, but I fail to see what's so funny.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2021, Blaylock wrote:
Glad you enjoyed it Gaz, but I fail to see what's so funny.

Well you are not much of a mentalist then that’s all I can say lol Gaz 😂😂 ps your audience of the modern era maybe you should ask them
Blaylock
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Blaylock
@Gaz One doesn't need to be a mentalist to guess that an idiot would come up with that old line.
You're obviously not interested in a serious discussion so I will leave you to your audiences who I'm sure are enthralled by your razor sharp wit and Ali Bongo magic.

@GoldenEye - when I first saw this effect I wasn't sure exactly how it was done but it had to be a peek (why else have the thoughts written down) and it was obvious that the stack of cards were gimmicked in some way (it doesn't matter how cleverly).
It would be obvious to an intelligent layman too.
Therefore it is not convincing mentalism. I wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion. All the best. I am Blaylock.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
4.0 on post likes to us and zero to you.
Reminds me of the England/ Ukraine game at the weekend, except I think we will be 5.0 and counting on this one lol Gaz 😂😂
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2467 Posts

Profile of benbv
Quote:
@Gaz One doesn't need to be a mentalist to guess that an idiot would come up with that old line.
You're obviously not interested in a serious discussion so I will leave you to your audiences who I'm sure are enthralled by your razor sharp wit and Ali Bongo magic.

@GoldenEye - when I first saw this effect I wasn't sure exactly how it was done but it had to be a peek (why else have the thoughts written down) and it was obvious that the stack of cards were gimmicked in some way (it doesn't matter how cleverly).
It would be obvious to an intelligent layman too.
Therefore it is not convincing mentalism. I wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion. All the best. I am Blaylock.

Hmmm I guess I'd say that Insider is not to be used in any type of performance. The only time I use it is when I am interacting with 3 or 4 spectators at the same time in a parlour type of environment. Which enables me to do a switch in the end and get them to retrieve their card themselves and keep it as a souvenir (I have only performed this about half a dozen times so far and I always try to have people that know each other, if from the same household or relatives even better - and I sign the card at the back in the end before letting them have it). Anyway my point is I wouldn't use it on a one on one situation, there are better methods imho.

The whole thing is to convince them that what you're using is totally normal and I hope I can achieve that with any method I use. But saying that "this wouldn't be used by top mentalist like [yourself]" is at best provogative and arrogant, and at worst provogative, arrogant and wrong (or the other way round Smile ). In any case I'm sure people here would love to know more about you and your performances since you're so good - that's what this forum you just joined is for, right? Maybe a link of you performing at FISM? Here is the link showing part of Marc's performance when he arrived first Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-GKrhodgM
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7604 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Whilst this is clearly a cleverly made gimmick, it would not be used by top mentalists such as myself.

So humble.....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3271 Posts

Profile of 252life
More like delusional
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2009 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
New review this week on a wonderful peek device!

Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Merci Alex!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13015 Posts

Profile of John C
I understand the part about loving the gimmick so much but then again there seem to be other more simple ways to do a peek. But you can't get rid of the gimmick because it's a thing of beauty!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2021, Alex DLF wrote:
New review this week on a wonderful peek device!

Wow. That is one very noisy gimmick.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It can be done silently and I think Alex was just running through it quickly rather than in performance mode imho Gaz 😊
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2467 Posts

Profile of benbv
Yes it doesn't really make any noise when you're just a bit careful
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2467 Posts

Profile of benbv
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2021, John C wrote:
I understand the part about loving the gimmick so much but then again there seem to be other more simple ways to do a peek. But you can't get rid of the gimmick because it's a thing of beauty!

Totally agree for a 1 on 1 performance - what Insider makes easier is getting back to the peek a few times if you need it, for example when performing with several spectators
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Yes, there are many ways to get peeks that involves getting the written information back in the mentalists hands, all time tested and working fine for any audience I’ve performed for: That being center tears, Billet switch, peek wallets etc. Insider to me as a gimmick is equally fast as a Viper II or a Jaks wallet. You get the card back, ask the spectator to hold out their hand and you have the peek. If you don’t like wallets then Insider could be the right thing for you in certain situations. I have tested it, and it does exactly what it promises - very nice made gimmick and very practical.

As for “devices” where the mentalist doesn’t get the written note back, but the spec can hold on to it. I prefer the non electronic devices, and here the Parapad is my clear favourite - if you can get the pen to work (the ink to flow) - I only managed that with my third pen - but then it’s just perfect.

Having said that, a billet switch or ar business card switch is what I use the most (BTW Marc Pauls Academy vol 1 from Alakazam is a highly recommended source for billet switches and centre tears).

To cut it short - Insider is a great gimmick and I will use it for a simple drawing duplication, and I also like the 3rd routine that Marc Oberon teaches with a color, an animal and a place. Great reveal on that one.

I do understand considereation about noise. If you are performing for your friends at home or at a private dinner party noise can be an issue. But when you are out performing IRL there is so much background noise that anything will fly by. Having said that, the Insider can be performed very silent - almost without any noise.

Best

Jan
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3269 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Looking back at this. Do the persons that own this still use it? How has it held up to use?
music
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of music
Curious to know how the gimmick has held up over time?