The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: INSIDER by Marck Oberon (123 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Hi,

The gimmick being smaller than the stack is an essential part of the design.

When Marc initially made the prototype with the gimmick flush to the stack the problem was that it buckled up two or three millimetres.
This was solved by making the gimmick shorter.

They are all like this and each has been tested by Marc personally.

Also regarding wether this will fit in jeans pockets.
The gimmick is just 4 millimetres thick so you can carry a stack with 10 cards and the whole thing is just 8 mm thick.
Perfectly comfortable even in tight fitting jeans.

Please address any concerns to Marc directly.

marcoberon1@googlemail.com

Best wishes,

Joel

Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Definitely too bulky for a front pocket IMO. Unless you have big pockets like slacks or something close to that which will allow you to have loos items. I’m not confident in jeans though..

As for the gimmick itself and after further inspection I’m under the impression that it’s definitely a defective gimmick I received. I’ll be returning mine for a replacement. The effect is absolutely worth it. I just unfortunately believe I received a bad unit. My review was intended to be positive and informative on my experience. I also agree with Craig. This is a must have.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Eh Joel, thanks for the clear up on the design of the gimmick. Would you recommend gluing additional pieces of card stock to the plastic gimmick to deepen the peek pocket?
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
So clean, so neat!
My concern too is how long it may last with tearing...
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Insider prototypes have been in the possession of mentalist friends of Marc’s for testing .

In the last year several problems were identified and solved.
Tearing was never a problem.

Best wishes,

Joel
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Chances are that the glue will give before it tears.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Received mine and I would call it absolute perfection.
My hands are probably too small to do the one handed method but I had anticipated that anyway. Not like it’s the first time I’ve run into that.

So was the final verdict with your set Lonnie that they are perfectly normal?

Now I’m confused because when you said the gimmick didn’t line up I thought you were talking about the printed lines you can see on the sides of the cards and gimmick. That those didn’t match up. But I guess you were referring to the difference in width. I’m pretty much a perfectionist and I never would have noticed that if you hadn’t commented on it. I have zero worries of anyone noticing or caring about that. AFA your second issue, I’m not sure what you are referring to there either. Mine do seem perfectly joined with no overlap, no crimp.

It’s a fabulous prop. I think Marc hit a home run with this one and I’m so glad he shared it with the rest of us.

I’m not worried about refills. For me, that is a lifetime supply of cards included. Probably two lifetimes. Somebody mentioned waiting to order this until refills are available (which they now are BTW) but who performs a piece like this 30 times a week? (well, other than Gumbini I guess 😃.)

Kudos to Marc Oberon for creating and manufacturing these.

Quote:
I received mine today. I like it. However, the gimmick I received seems to be made with some minor cosmetic issues. It doesn’t really take away how cool it is. But being someone that notices these little things, it kind of bothers me a little. I already performed it with success though. I just don’t feel like this will last me as long as I was hoping based on one of the cosmetic issues. Unless these were designed to have these specific cosmetic differences, I’ll list the two that stick out the most to me with the gimmick I received.

1. The gimmick does not line up like the rest of the cards provided. As if the cards used were glued and cut a bit shorter than the card stock that came with the gimmick. Think Sev. Deck.

2. This goes with the first one. In one of the seems/henges, the top layer of card has this overlap which creates this crimp effect in the gimmick causing it to not sit flush. Even with rubber-band. Well unless I manually force it. If someone were burning your hands, it may get noticed. Think long/short card.

Ok now for the good news. I really like this. Very clever and methodical. I can see how well this will play out during performances and yes, for some it will replace tech peeks. At least some of them IMO. If I had any complaints outside of the cosmetic issues I mentioned, it would be the depth of the gimmick. And that’s really not a complaint. More of a preference.

So on my initial reaction, I’m slightly disappointed with the cosmetic issues (unless these were intentional) but I’m excited to have this in hand and know that it’s something that will get used. A ton of people who bought this will have a blast with this.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2021, videoman wrote:
Received mine and I would call it absolute perfection.
My hands are probably too small to do the one handed method but I had anticipated that anyway. Not like it’s the first time I’ve run into that.

So was the final verdict with your set Lonnie that they are perfectly normal?

Now I’m confused because when you said the gimmick didn’t line up I thought you were talking about the printed lines you can see on the sides of the cards and gimmick. That those didn’t match up. But I guess you were referring to the difference in width. I’m pretty much a perfectionist and I never would have noticed that if you hadn’t commented on it. I have zero worries of anyone noticing or caring about that. AFA your second issue, I’m not sure what you are referring to there either. Mine do seem perfectly joined with no overlap, no crimp.

It’s a fabulous prop. I think Marc hit a home run with this one and I’m so glad he shared it with the rest of us.

I’m not worried about refills. For me, that is a lifetime supply of cards included. Probably two lifetimes. Somebody mentioned waiting to order this until refills are available (which they now are BTW) but who performs a piece like this 30 times a week? (well, other than Gumbini I guess 😃.)

Kudos to Marc Oberon for creating and manufacturing these.

Quote:
I received mine today. I like it. However, the gimmick I received seems to be made with some minor cosmetic issues. It doesn’t really take away how cool it is. But being someone that notices these little things, it kind of bothers me a little. I already performed it with success though. I just don’t feel like this will last me as long as I was hoping based on one of the cosmetic issues. Unless these were designed to have these specific cosmetic differences, I’ll list the two that stick out the most to me with the gimmick I received.

1. The gimmick does not line up like the rest of the cards provided. As if the cards used were glued and cut a bit shorter than the card stock that came with the gimmick. Think Sev. Deck.

2. This goes with the first one. In one of the seems/henges, the top layer of card has this overlap which creates this crimp effect in the gimmick causing it to not sit flush. Even with rubber-band. Well unless I manually force it. If someone were burning your hands, it may get noticed. Think long/short card.

Ok now for the good news. I really like this. Very clever and methodical. I can see how well this will play out during performances and yes, for some it will replace tech peeks. At least some of them IMO. If I had any complaints outside of the cosmetic issues I mentioned, it would be the depth of the gimmick. And that’s really not a complaint. More of a preference.

So on my initial reaction, I’m slightly disappointed with the cosmetic issues (unless these were intentional) but I’m excited to have this in hand and know that it’s something that will get used. A ton of people who bought this will have a blast with this.

Hey, this is great news. I already knew that you were not going to be disappointed when you received yours. I’ll try and send you a couple of images of what I have going on. I definitely have a defective one after speaking with a penguin rep.
Congrats on getting yours as it’s suppose to be. Like you, I think Mark absolutely knocked this one out of the park and I would recommend this to anyone.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2850 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I ordered two, and they both arrived today. They are perfect! Definitely one of the coolest peek devices I’ve ever seen. Looks completely normal and innocent on both sides, as it should.

Well done, Marc!

rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Been playing with this for a few hours. Am I the only one who cannot get the hinge to properly 'pivot' one handed? Pushing with the thumb doesn't work unless I grip the two ends with my thumb and four finger respectably, and start the 'hinging' - otherwise, my thumb is just pushing against the hinge. Any tips would be appreciated.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Hi,

Two things to try.
First loosen the tightness of each hinge by gently pulling apart the panels a couple of millimetres at a time.
Do this with both hinges in 5 or 6 equidistant points along the line.

Secondly email Marc marcoberon1@googlemail.com

Best wishes,

Joel

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Been playing with this for a few hours. Am I the only one who cannot get the hinge to properly 'pivot' one handed? Pushing with the thumb doesn't work unless I grip the two ends with my thumb and four finger respectably, and start the 'hinging' - otherwise, my thumb is just pushing against the hinge. Any tips would be appreciated.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I reached out to Mark and he’s a stand up guy. At this time He’s got my vote for possibly TOTY with this one. Still a lot of year left.
Marc Edgar
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Marc Edgar
Insider arrived just an hour ago, but I can already tell that it is absolutely brilliant! So clever! I already feel relatively comfortable with the gimmick. I'm looking forward to digging into the tutorial/masterclass over the weekend. I use my peek wallets and impression pads quite a bit; it's nice to have another option.

Congratulations, Marc, on a phenomenal release!
Marc Edgar
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Marc Edgar
Also, I think Phill Smith's HUMINT is a perfect routine to use with Insider: https://miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk/coll......s/humint.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2047 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2021, Marc Edgar wrote:
Also, I think Phill Smith's HUMINT is a perfect routine to use with Insider: https://miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/humint.

I love Phill's routine. And the coin is beautiful. Hmm... Running out of excuses to get this.
Marc Edgar
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Marc Edgar
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2021, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2021, Marc Edgar wrote:
Also, I think Phill Smith's HUMINT is a perfect routine to use with Insider: https://miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/humint.

I love Phill's routine. And the coin is beautiful. Hmm... Running out of excuses to get this.

It might be time to take the plunge! Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I do not need another peek method or device but after all these excellent comments my resistance is beginning to get worn down.

A bit like wallets, maybe just one more won't hurt.

Neil
johndamen
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of johndamen
Quite interested in this, but can anyone explain why one would need refills of index cards, which are the most common item to find anywhere on Earth. Are the cards supplied made of special paper? And if so, why? Or if not then why wouldn't standard index cards be fine to make refills?
westo
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of westo
Well at least you lasted longer than me Neil!!
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, westo wrote:
Well at least you lasted longer than me Neil!!

I’m on the brink. Perhaps I will regard this as my Easter Egg. Will be less fattening too Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2850 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, johndamen wrote:
Quite interested in this, but can anyone explain why one would need refills of index cards, which are the most common item to find anywhere on Earth. Are the cards supplied made of special paper? And if so, why? Or if not then why wouldn't standard index cards be fine to make refills?

The index cards are of a specific size. Commonly found index cards would have to be cut down individually and the lines would be different than the lines on the cards that come with insider.