The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Starting over (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
Hi there,

just a little question! I've been doing magic for a long, long time, but I kinda "quit" about 10 years ago. Back then, I was actually quite good but somehow I didn't really gave enough devotion to practice. I did follow all the latest news though, but still... So, now, 10 years later, I'm trying to really pick things up where I left off, but I kinda have the feeling I have to start over from scratch. Getting to know the basics (again), just so I can really get to know everything I need to in order to be able to perform again on an acceptable level.

Anyone of you that's been (or is) in a similar situation? Any tips? Pointers?
There's enough stuff/sleights/techniques of course that I'll Always be able to do, but no doubt there's more that will need my attention (again). Just not sure "where" I have to start off again, but maybe it's best to tackle things like a beginner?

Tnx!
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
WOW.... Not an easy question. I think it depends on how much "natural" talent a person has..
I am a good speaker in front of people, so I don't have a problem with the "patter/banter"..
Since I only perform 3-4 times a year at church, and 5-7 times a year at family gatherings, I tend to use tricks that I can "re-practice" a couple days a head of time.
I just started using cards in my act (have been performing for over 30 years). However, the decks are self working versus having to do lifts, sleights, etc, etc.

So depening on your "abilities" and "difficulty" of the tricks you want to use, could/would dictate the amount of time you need to perfect your act.

I love watching card masters do card tricks, I just don't like to practice that type of magic... I did learn how to do one "difficult lift" which I can't remember the name, but if I'm at the computer on a conference call, I pick up a deck of cards and practice it...
cheers,
don

Smile
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Proximo, what kind of magic do you like? cards, coins, parlour, stage? Maybe get yourself a dvd set (card sleights etc) and work your way through that.
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
Mostly cards.
Since I posted this, I've been practicing again non-stop for one month.
I'm almost back on track, kind of like riding a bicycle I guess Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
I would encourage you to get out and see lectures and live magic being performed. Go to a convention. Get your head back into it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain