The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: I can't find the answer so I will ask again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
Hey guys

I have been looking around this forum to find my answer but it seems the question has been asked a lot with no answers. Last night I practiced for the first time with a video camera it was very useful. I actually picked up a few things in my patter to change, beleive it or not. I was wondering which do you think is better when practicing with a camera: should it be burning on your hands or be pointing waist up to pick up your overall presentation?

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Do it both ways.
Close up on the hands for reviewing possible technique problems then further back for an overall look.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
332 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Moyle,
Jaz is right about the "overall look." Place the camera at different angles, front and both sides when rehearsing. Not only does this help you to check angles if you do an “angle sensitive” act, it can reveal other problems too. i.e., some performers slouch and/or push their head forward as they perform. The side angles of the camera will reveal these problems. If you want to look your best in front of an audience, good posture is a worthy goal to set for yourself. If you have a problem and need help, consult a trained dancer to learn about posture and body alignment.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gerald
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Thanks guys that's great. I will definitely have to try both your suggestions when I do my rehersal this weekend. If anyone else has an opinion I'd love to hear it.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree with different angles. Your whole body can send messages. So even how you place your feet is important, even if you are just a close-up performer. One thing I like to do too, is to hook it up to the tv and watch myself perform live. It has helped with some of my bigger stuff (Bisection) and others where you are blind to how it looks. So seeing it live as you perform can help correct a mistake/problem as it occurs.
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
I agree. I usually have the camera burn my hands while I am working on technique. Then I move to an overall view to watch myself perform. When I first started doing this I noticed that I have a "tell" (like in poker) that I do when performing a sleight. Seeing this on video is forcing me to practice the presentation of my body as much as ny presentation of an effect.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Yeah I noticed myself before I started filming that sometimes I have the common tell of speeding things up around a sleight. I know most people have this but if I can pick that up without a camera think of what I can pick up with one! I think the angles also is a definite must. Thanks guys, great advice ;-)

Moyle
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Watching yourself this way is much better than, say, in a mirror. You see your performance more the way an audience would.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Here are two tricks that may be of use to you.
First film yourself from as far away as your audience is expected to be if parlor and two or more times that distance for closeup since the camera does not have any ability to pivot and zoom in the same way as people's attention.

Okay let's say you have this "overview" video to review.

1) Try watching a few times without the sound. Are there any awkward looking moments? How about pauses or fussing that look out of place?

2) Try listening to your performance, ie cover the screen or just listen from away from the monitor. Are there moments of dead quiet where you are not attending the stated process in action? Are there moments that sound odd?

Here is one more, though perhaps not so useful at the moment:

Watch without audio and see if you can read the actions and intent displayed and make up the words that go with the video. Pretend you have no clue about the trick and routine and are figuring it out as if from a fresh start and watching a silent film. How close does your made up version of the lines match what you have in your script?

Submitted for your amusement,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
You might also try filming it from the side angles as well and not play to the camera. This will give you an idea what it looks like for the spectator sitting off to the side.
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
One approach I've used is to place mirrors at appropriate positions when I record the video. This way I can catch different angles from the same recording.

The most success I've had from recording my rehearsals is to record while I'm performing to a test audience. You can then match your audience's comments to the recording, and the review becomes a lot easier.

Cheers

Ian
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Good advice from all above!!

I have had my act filmed live many times using a lot of it for my Promo DVD etc

Most filming was from close up-waist height to see any moments like looking away or blinking during the move as well as filmed from the audience during cabaret shows in Hotels etc-useful for awkward moments or too fast moments etc-also listen to yourself & at times you think-I sound really bad so you have something to work on as well

Any videoing of your show can only help you

good luck
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Here is another little trick if you use patter.

Don't look at the video, just listen with your eyes closed. What does an audience member in a bad seat get out of the routine? They all can't watch you all the time.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com