The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Person To Person (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
Does anyone have someone that you show all your magic to and let them give you feedback, instead of using a vid-cam? I don't have one. Who should I ask?
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I'd ask a fellow magician who you respect because they can give you more appropriate and objective feedback than a so called "layman". And if you accidentaly give the secret away it's less of a deal.
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
My wife can see through anything. If I fool her, I know I've got a winner. Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
That's the same with me, Saxmangeoff. If I fool my mom with a trick, then it will probably fool almost anyone else!

I practise my routines on both laymen and magicians because each give me different types of feedback that help me to improve. However I only do a trick for a layman if I have practised it enough to be completely confident with all of the sleights and if I have good patter for the trick.

I usually use my webcam for practising individual sleights so that I can play it back and watch it from the spectator's point of view so I know what I need to do to improve it. A webcam or camcorder really comes in handy for practising!
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Same here, if I can do an effect and my wife has to ASK me, “How did you do that. Show me." I know I have got a winner. She is certainly my toughest audience.

I would def. try to find another magician practice buddy. The downside is you are going to want this person to be fully honest with you, even if it hurts your ego.

I know my try-out friend sometimes gets so excited about his new effect it almost hurts to tell him.." you need to work on it."

Brutally honest is the best way to go, but not always what you want to hear. If you have a camcorder record yourself, talk about a wake up call. My Panasonic is my worst enemy. I hate when he comes arou-er-ah. I mean I take him out. What a wake up call. I am so glad I do not perform effects on television.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
That's what the guys in Don's Garage are for. They will tell you what they think, no holds barred. Lorrie is a bit easy, but her eyes aren't what they once were either.
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
I have a friend that is into magic and I use him. We both give feedback on each other.
Magic Mike Japan
View Profile
New user
Yokosuka, Japan (U.S. Mailing Address)
98 Posts

Profile of Magic Mike Japan
I use my wife, and assistant to try out new tricks. I rarely fool her, but I get honest, valuable feedback.
"There's no limit to what one man can accomplish, as long as he's willing to let someone else have the credit." (These words were inscribed on a small brass plaque which sat on President Ronald Reagan's desk in the White House during his second term.)
<BR><BR
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Other magician friends first, to get the technical moves polished. Then my wife to test the effect, followed by other family members and friends.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Just go out there and show it to any person you know,i don't find a better way than that.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Magicians, Assistants ,Laymen, and Associates. These are the categories of people in our world. Associates are people who aren't interested in performing or even learning magic, but have a closer relationship with magicians and the magic world than laymen. Husbands, Wives, and close friends can all be associates. Associates need to understand and obey the rules of secrecy just as if they were an actual magician.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I have a close group of magician friends that are honest and will help correct problems. I also bring on directors, and hope to be working with Amanda Denhart very soon...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
magicupclose
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of magicupclose
We have a core group who are very honest & will tell the the good, bad & ugly. Remember you have to be bad to get good!
fakiir
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of fakiir
I'm using my girfriend, but what I do I tell her before where or when I will do the sleight or secret move. And when she can't see it even she knows that I'm doing it, then I know it's really a good one.