The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Things I learned by performing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Today I went to a college graduation party and they asked me to perform some magic for them. I have finally finished my parlor act, including patter and transitions, and through performing at this occasion I have learned a few things that I though I would share.

1.) When performing for a small group, very close to them, about 4 people, tricks that involve spectator participation and some visual effects seem to work best. Have everyone hold an ace, or blow on the deck, even press the reset button. When I did a few simple things like the shapeshifter change or an erdnase color change floored people. Also, they responded to comedy more than mystery, so I did effects like card to pocket because jokes can be made easily with that.
-Visual magic
-Comedy
-Card to pocket, or anywhere, sort of like heckler (Tudor)

2.) When Performing for a group about 10-15 people, I found the stronger effects did not have chosen cards but were things like invisible palm and spectator cuts the aces. I find someone that has great enthusiasm and use them for any assistance necessary. When someone is laughter hard or like WHAT the amazement and laughter spreads. The only pick a card trick I did was a multiple selection trick were all 14 people selected a card and I revealed them. Unless you have a variety of ways I wouldn't do it, it didn't get great reactions, but was still pretty good.
-invisible palm was killer
-not as many pick-a-card tricks, more tricks using aces a so on so everyone can follow it.
-Find one enthusiastic person and use them for any help to increase your reactions.

3.) When doing tricks to a small group, 1-2 people, the pick a card tricks get great reactions, but not with the normal endings, such as simply producing it. Card thru window, card on ceiling and card to shoe are three effects I love to perform. With less people you can misdirect them easier so you card palm and cop cards out without having to worry. Comedy isn't so important to me when there is so few people because I never get as big a laugh as with a bigger group. I go for more mystery when I do it for this few people. I also keep throwing things at them, a color change, a flourish, to keep them interested and focused on me.
-Be aware that there is less people so palming is no worry and misdirection is easy.
-Effects like pick a card and producing it in a bottle work extremely well.
-Not as much laughter.
usually one of the people, or only that person, will say things like my brain hurts, or how the.. oh my god, I am so lost. When they say that I start doing flourishes and color changes so they really are in shock. Just keep bombarding them so they stay interested.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
trevcmagicman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of trevcmagicman
WOW! Very good resource for performing! thanks!
The magic of Trevor Crandall and Luke Vlassis. The magic men of Nipomo, California.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Thanks for sharing your experience Steve . Its always useful to hear how to keep different audiences involved. It sounds like you experimented and so this is real .
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
As you've proved, you don't learn by just reading, you have to perform. It's also not just the trick. Conditions, venue, audience size, audience age group, type of presentation. All are factors to be weighed up, often instantly on approaching a group. I can often walk up to a group with the intention of doing one thing and decide to do something I consider more appropriate on the spot.

These are very valid observations made by Steve. The important thing is that he is aware of them. Some performers are so focused on what they are doing they are truly unaware of the different reactions. Good luck with your magic Steve.

Paul.