The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Manicures anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Does anyone else out there get a manicure regularly? I started getting them, but everyone I know is giving me a hard time about it. I feel that it's justified, but I still want to make sure I'm not alone in this.
Weird is part of the job.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
As a juggler I have to clip my finger nails at least twice a week, and I wash my hands about ten times a day, but that's about it. Ever since I stopped working a day job my hands are as soft as a babies butt because of the juggling. At a juggling convention you will find far more nail clippers that wrist watches. We are a bunch of wierd people.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
Eugene Burger wrote about the value of manicures for magicians in one of his booklets. He points out that with a magicians, more attention is focussed on the hands than in any other performing art.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Your hands are you main tools in performing close-up magic. Keeping them presentable is necessary for a successful career.

I was getting regular manicures when I was in my late teens, early 20s. That was back when full service including a hand massage at the end and was $2 for everything. There was an old gal (probably as old as I am now) who worked a popular barber shop in my home town and did a great job. I learned how to do my own nails by watching what she did.

If "everyone you know" is giving you a bad time about keeping your hands in good condition, it's time to move to a new group.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You can catch nail fungus in nail parlors and the smell of the solvents and polish (even if you aren't using them) can't be good for you.

I do think you should make sure your hands look nice.

My hands look pretty basic though. Clean with very short nails (for card work) no polish. I think in a close-up shot of my hands they would be mistaken for a mans hands (although not a manly one).

Do what you want Alex. Life is short and they are your hands.

- Mary Mowder
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Thanks guys. I'm sure it's nothing more than playful ribbing for doing something out of the ordinary. I am proud of having nice looking hands. They left me alone bout it pretty quickly.
Weird is part of the job.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I get a professional manicure every week. I've been doing so for over 20 years.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I see nothing wrong with a man getting regular manicures. As a magician, your hands can and will be subject to scrutiny by clients, potential clients and your audience. As Joel Bauer points out, "Your hands are the tools of your craft!"

You wouldn't perform in dirty clothes and with unkempt hair! So why would you not want your hands to look their best? We live in a world whereby image is often vital to a person's success, and good grooming is key to projecting a not only pleasing, but a professional image.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I get Manicures, Pedicures, & Facials. And I am a MAN!!!!! David Oliver talked me into this after seeing one of his lectures.

RJ
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I would if I could afford.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Back when I had hair and worked out of Reno, Nevada, I frequently got manicures. I went from polish to buffing. These days I do it myself.

Something that is harder than learning how to coin roll 3 or 4 coins at a time (for some magi) is not biting their nails.

Pay attention to cuticles as well.

While you are looking at your nails, look down at your footwear.(shoes or painted toes....?..as comedy does start with the feet...or is it the knees, neck?)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
eddie2m
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of eddie2m
Dirty nails and nails badly bitten can greatly distract
your audience.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
A professional manicure is important to a working magician in my opinion - a tool of the trade, as it were...

... with the possible exception of the Cardini's of the world, perhaps...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Wayne Eady
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Wayne Eady
Mani and Pedi every other week for me...I think I just like them touching my feet?
Magic exists in the moment!
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 17:05, escherwolf wrote:
Eugene Burger wrote about the value of manicures for magicians in one of his booklets. He points out that with a magicians, more attention is focussed on the hands than in any other performing art.

Very true.

Did you know?

that when they cast for the role of "Thing" for the The Addams Family, they used a professional magician, because they couldn't think of any other person to put some much expression into hand movements.

Got to keep the money makers looking good.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I always have nail clippers and an emery board on my desk. I've taken girlfriends to get their nails done and I just can't breathe in those places. I doubt that nail techs live very long, now that the air quality is so bad in their shops.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Yes!
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
When using nail salons you can bring your own tools to assure they are clean and not contaminated with fungus or other pathogens. I have used manicurists and I always check to see that the instruments have been sterilized before letting them work on my hands. Like the clothes we wear how you groom and dress in that first minute sets the tone for how people judge you; rightly or wrongly you get one chance at a good impression.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
My wife is a Nail Tech and you are right about fungus and unsanitary practices. I can go on and on about some salons do unethical things to put you at risk. Chose your salon wisely. Not all salons fit into this catagory. Cheap prices mean cheap products. My wife has a ventilation system built int her table. I suggest ladies, to look for a Tech who goes to these lenghts to protect you. If the person doing your nails is wearing a mask, you probably should be wearing one also. Again, cheap products.

Enough about that. you can have clean and well groomed hands without going to a Pro. If you are a man and do get a professional manicure don't do a clear coat, a nice buff looks great. IMHO
Bondy
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bondy
When performing for females good nails is a must, they notice those things.