The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: "Eccentric" clothing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Looking to compile a good list of costumers and clothing supply houses with eccentric clothing, stuff with a "theatrical" flair . Like character descriptions of the wizard folk in the Harry Potter books , or "period" magicians like David Ben ....... costumes that are obviously a little bit "different" or theatrical , but with a certain class to them , in other words , not the "glitter/rhinestone tuxedo look" .

Also, think the look of Cirque du Solei .
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
I'd be thinking the internet and local thrift shops. Those places are a goldmine- you just have to spend time doing the circuit for awhile. From two thrift shops I've got a wide-lapelled whit tux that I added a red cummerbund and lace sleeve trim. And red pants to match.

For cirque de soleil, WOW! Good luck. Those folks must spend oodles of time getting the costuming and makeup just right to match the acts. I guess you could come close by starting with appropriately colored skin tight athletic wear as a base then stitching on trimmings and ornaments, gluing in sequins and glitter, using fabric paint for patterns, etc. Maybe your local library has books on theatrical costuming that would be helpful?
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am a nightclub promoter part time, and I wear some goofy stuff. Try leopard skin, and shiney metal. Leather pants are good too. Not too wizardy, but its a vegas lounge act waiting to be made if I ever saw one!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I have an affection for ugly, tacky clothes. Vintage and retro is best. Just suits me.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Vintage Vogue in Independence Missouri is a great place for vintage 40, 50, 60 and 70's.

They are a bit pricey. More than say a garage or thrift sales.

Of course they have a better selection and it is all in on place.

Re: Clothes

I competed in two informal events at the 75th IBM Convention in KC last week.

The first was the Magic Idol.
(Based on the real tv American Idol.-Think 3 Simons)
The great manipulator Michael Bairfoot won the contest.

Tom Burgoon, Simon Lovel(sic???) and Gay Blackstone were the Celebrity Panelist.

I can't remember if it was Gay or Simon that gave me feedback in two words.

Fashion Sense..

I must admit I took it kind of hard even though I was playing for laughs.

I forgot about not taking myself and my comedy too seriously.

On the last night I entered the informal (non sanctioned) Strolling Olympics.

The categories were

Most Original
Best Over All
Comedy Magic

Don't get ahead of me (mini smile)

My peers voted me Best Comedy Magic in the Strolling Division.

My wife thinks my choice in clothes is

interesting and calls it Harris Trend Setting.

I have asked her to tell me if I step way out of line.

You are appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u