The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Working from your pockets without bulges (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I like working from my pockets when I perform close up magic. Card magic makes up the bulk of my close up work but I like to carry and perform rope magic, the egg bag, slydidni silks, sponge balls, etc when I work for big tables or just in case I need extra material.

The problem is that when I put these things in my pockets, I get unsightly bulges. I can button my suit jacket but it just doesn't look right.

I have noticed that Billy McComb often talked about the appearance of his performing suit and how he carried props in a way that would make him look his best.

So, I am seriously considering dropping some effects from my close up repertoire and working on material that I can manage well without having bulges in my suit.

Has anyone else had this problem? What have you done about it?

Thanks

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
I might be worth taking a look at http://www.hcmagic.com/ they have had various reviews on the Café mostly good some bad but if you can afford it and don't mind wearing it then it might be worth the investment

or maybe some other type of carrying devices might work i.e. joshua jay carrier case or something by http://www.theambitiouscard.com/

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I'd love to get the HCmagic holster.. I actually made something kind of like it myself, but in the end it was never where I needed it.

You can mess around with other carrying cases and find things that will work. Maybe you only need something else to carry the large props you use (rope, silks, sponge balls, etc.) and still keep the smaller flatter objects in your pockets (cards).
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In the crafts department of WalMart they have sheets of plastic used for yarn projects (about $.35). These come in colors (so I use black) and look like a plastic strawberry box with tiny square holes. Cut them to fit your coat pockets and place them in the pockets on the outside side of the coat. It even keeps the coat flat for this birdman! LOL

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
MAgic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Great idea.. I'll probably try that myself. It's cheaper than some methods for sure.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I carry what you could call a messenger style bag with several pockets. I made it out of heavy canvas and it works great. It has the large compartment for coloring book and cups and then six or seven pockets for other stuff.