The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: I need more pockets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
347 Posts

Profile of TKE
Are there any jackets out there with extra pockets. the ones I usually find have a small inside pocket, another very small one in the front (where I keep my pen usually) and sometimes two on the side.

and that's if I'm lucky.

do you guys own any jackets that had gracious pocket space? or should I just bring it to a tailor and get special pockets made.

by the way I do strolling/table hopping in a bar/restaurant if that helps.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I am a pocket freak.I usually do not buy a suit jacket unless it has the following pockets.Two outside side pockets,(with one having a small key pocket),and a outside breast pocket.Inside I like to have a minimum of three pockets,two breast level and one lower.
Usually better jackets are are configured this way.You can save a lot of money by shopping at a mens wholesale outlet.A good one in NY is K&G.I recently got three jackets for a total of $200.
I also have easily added extra pockets inside by using some fabric and a product called Quick Stitch.It's a fabric glue obtainable at fabric stores.Make sure it say's washable or dry cleanable.
Best.
Rich
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
347 Posts

Profile of TKE
What brand jackets do you buy? I swear ive looked through so many and havent found one with all the pockets you just mentioned
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Linea Uomo is the brand. K&G has them.They are very nicely made.All under $80.00 each!I've seen the same brand retail for double the price.By the way,you can get a 100% worsted wool Tux for $99.00(with all the pockets).Also,superb 100% wool pleated slacks for $39.95.In case you don't know,wool is cooler than polyester,and wears better.

Rich
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
A friend of mine swears by the sports coats at the Deluth Trading Company web site. I believe they come in 3 different colors and have a lot of pockets.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
rumdrum
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
19 Posts

Profile of rumdrum
Hey all,

I used to sew extra pockets into my jackets. But as your wardrobe expands, it's difficult to modify all of your jackets. And putting too much inside jacket pockets could over time put a lot of wear on the suit, especially the lining. According to modern day etiquette, a gentlemen should never put anything more than perhaps some business cards or other small light items in the jacket pockets. This is very difficult for magicians to do though.

So, I created a product which might solve your issues of needing a jacket with proper pockets. Take a look at this website for more information.

http://www.highcalibermagic.com/holster.html

It might be a good alternative to buying only suits with the pockets you like. Some really high end designers don't even add pockets to their jackets, because the modern day suit is not typically worn for utility as it may have been in the past.

I'm not trying to push my product, but give some advice. If you carry so much that you need more pockets than a regular suit jacket, you are probably carrying too much to put in the jacket! Your looks are very important as a performer. Nobody wants to hire the magician with the ugly worn out suit!

Just my $0.02
rumdrum
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
19 Posts

Profile of rumdrum
I guess I could have just put this here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
There are vests made for magicians with 15 pockets.
Check Daytona magic. They make them themselves.
Daniel Faith
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
London Uk
139 Posts

Profile of WKM
I have a taylor add pockets to my suits as they are made, this way I get them to order EXACTLY where I want them.
Liam Ball AIMC*
The Gentleman Magician
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
The main trick is to use a vest. A jacket with full pockets looks stuffed and suspicious. Of course there are a lot of places for extra pockets, these I use permanently:
1. under the lapels - a very good place to steal small items
2. in the back slit of the jacket - perfect for cards
3. in the trousers seam - perfect to get rid of palmed coins
4. in the shirt - take off the jacket because you prove not to use pockets
5. in the top edge of the cumerbund
6. in the front of the sirt - perfect to steal silks
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
You don't need more pockets. You need less stuff.

Seriously.
Mike Doogan
View Profile
New user
US (living in UK)
64 Posts

Profile of Mike Doogan
Here's a tip from a top working pro I had the pleasure of meeting in Seattle. He asked me to keep this one to myself but I guess there's no harm in passing it on here.

He swears by the Ted Baker Endurance suit range. They last for years and have 8 pockets in the jacket and 4 in the trousers.

I can't reveal who tipped this but hopefully the answer won't FLY by you.
EvanZ
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EvanZ
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 11:16, Daniel Faith wrote:

I saw a magicians vest that had 75 pockets, I will look for it.
EvanZ
EvanZ
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EvanZ
Quote:
On 2007-05-07 20:56, EvanZ wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 11:16, Daniel Faith wrote:

I saw a magicians vest that had 75 pockets, I will look for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Trick-MAGICIAN......ViewItem 76 pockets
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magicians-Waist-Coat......ViewItem
85 pockets
EvanZ
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Why in the world do you need extra pockets? If you are strolling you should only have like 3, maybe 4 tricks with you... As a matter of fact, everything should just fit in your front pants pockets, maybe 1 back pocket, tops.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Esprit do some nice looking cargo pants with big side Knee pockets to large back pockets and the waist high pockets look like one but are in fact 2 so in total 8 pockets. There great for causle walk rounds you can carry magic ready to go and your day to day stuff as well.

Some of ther waist coats and coat are ideal as well a littel casuale but fit my street look.

I do agree mind only a couple of tricks.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Personally, you can't have too many pockets. It must be a genetic thing. I had a kid come up to me in a grocery store and tell me "Look I got Pockets!"
REPOLHO
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of REPOLHO
I use two pants pocket, 2 topit, and 1 inside the jacket...

I work in a bar/club every saturday night... a do a lot of stuffs... more than needed... and... I still have a lot of space in my pockets...

RP
Roberto Polini

Sombra - Brazillian Magic Society
http://www.sociedademagica.com
DocEdward
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of DocEdward
I love pockets! Can never have enough of them. The holster looks great too. However, I agree that you should consider just how much you need to be carrying when you stroll. I have a multipocket vest that I use for some shows, but to be honest it's more for the look than the need. It goes great for kids shows. But if I'm going to do stage or a coorporate event I would never appear that cluttered. Still, I am just a sucker for pockets even when I'm not performing.