The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Tailor to sew in a topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Does anyone know a good magician's tailor around the DC area?

Posted: Nov 30, 2005 1:09am
OK. Does anyone in the United States do tailor work for magicians?
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
If you find an adept tailor or seamstress...they should be able to get the job done well. Check with costuming professors at local universities' theatre departments or check with local theatres.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
I don't think you are looking in the right places, there is a dry cleaner in every strip mall that does alterations.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Al,
I already have someone to do alterations. I was looking for someone who for example I can show the Ammar topit pattern without them looking totally puzzled by it.
Mike Perrello
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Anyone who does alterations is already doing work far more detailed and complex than sewing in a toppit. Pin the pattern into the coat, hand it to an experienced tailor (a master tailor in any tailor shop if you can find one) and it's done.

Outline the portion to be sewn in red marker and explain the rest remains open as a large pocket. The various pockets, inside and outside my costume were done by a tailor who'd never put them there before.

Even taking the waist in or out on a pair of pants is more involved than sewing in a topit so you'll be in luck with a local tailor incase no one comes forward with a contact in your area.

Posted: Dec 10, 2005 3:54pm
I forgot to mention Café member Lynetta. Her company Fabric Manipulation will do a custom install. Check here:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/Mercha......ry_Code=

Apparently she's even done some work for Michael Ammar himself.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Randy!
Mike Perrello
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

Did you get your problem solved?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I also forgot to mention Sandra Sisti of 'Seams Like Magic' sews in Topits as well.

You can reach her here:

sjsisti@adelphia.net
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
In a pinch, you can do it yourself with an Iron, and Stitch Witch fusable tape! A couple safety pins to hold it in place and you are all set.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Yes, do it yourself---I bought a sewing maching at Walmart for under $100 including the thread---so far have two topits, multiple pockets in a vest and a coat, and am now ready to create a wedding gown for Elizabeth Taylor.

You will save money in the long run, and can custom make it step wise as you go. Took about 2 hours each topit, or if my math is right, each topit took two hours. The time you spend making topits is not subtracted from your time here on earth.
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.