The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Any Way to Keep Cool? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what can be worn to keep cool while performing. Choosing the proper clothes is, of course, critical. But I am wondering if there are any other garments or devices that would help.

Gianni
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Gianni
Lots of people will wear a vest instead of a jacket. Do I know you? I am a member of the SAM, IJA, and IBM in Philadelphia.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Wear a long sleeve button down shirt.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have recently found that a careful choice in fabrics will make a huge difference in how your body helps you stay cool, or warm as needed!
It may cost a little more at the outset, but a jacket in a wool/linen blend, or a good wool will be worth it, and shirts in Linen will move moisture faster than cotton. They will require a bit more care than just wash and wear. Avoid clothing with too high a synthetic content, Polyester and Spandex(R) will seriously trap heat and sweat.
Now then, if you are a costumed performer, then there are cool vests and suits of several varieties, the easiest uses packs of Blue Ice (R) type freezer bars held in pockets on a body garment, either vest or shirt style. This type is fairly inexpensive.
The more complex Cool Suit uses tubes sewn to a garment with a cold water re-circulating pump- and a waist belt for the unit and ice water, jsut like the astronauts wear. Nice, and great in 100o+ heat, or sealed clothing like Tyvek(R) or Haz mat suits. A bit pricey, but if you need it you sure do like what you get!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 21:09, juggleral wrote:
Gianni
Lots of people will wear a vest instead of a jacket. Do I know you? I am a member of the SAM, IJA, and IBM in Philadelphia.
Al

Al, I am a member of IBM Ring 6.

Gianni
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2005-09-27 18:17, kaytracy wrote:
...then there are cool vests and suits of several varieties, the easiest uses packs of Blue Ice (R) type freezer bars held in pockets on a body garment, either vest or shirt style. This type is fairly inexpensive.
The more complex Cool Suit uses tubes sewn to a garment with a cold water re-circulating pump- and a waist belt for the unit and ice water, jsut like the astronauts wear. Nice, and great in 100o+ heat, or sealed clothing like Tyvek(R) or Haz mat suits. A bit pricey, but if you need it you sure do like what you get!

kaytracy:

Thank you. These are the items that interest me. Do you know where they are available?

Gianni
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
One note, if performing on stage, the lights are hot, undenianbly. Also, adrenaline during performance will raise your body temperature. Fiber content and color fabric as well as style, can help to alleviate the high temperatures, but you'll never get rid of the heat. Silk, the strongest natural fiber, is a great insulator from cold and heat. It can also soak up 30% of its weight in moisture and still feel dry. Special care must be used when cleaning it, but it's a wonderful costume fabric. When looking at the wools, don'tthink strictly sheep wool as there are many other worsteds and woolens on the market. Cotton and flax (linens) both absorb moisture and release it quickly, flax being the stronger fiber of the two. In fact, flax is stronger when wet than dry. Unfortunately, neither is very elastic and flax tends to yellow with age.

I hope this helps a bit...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Take a look a product called 'body armor'. They sell it in sporting good stores. Basically it's a first layer and it moves the mositure away from your body. It helps to make you feel cooler. I have used it before it really helps to make you feel better.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Gianni
You are a man, or woman of mystery. When I go to the next IBM 6 meeting should I get Eric to make the announcement WHO IS GIANNI in order to meet you. I suggest you consider your cleaning bill before you buy toooooo many silk shirts. I'm paying $15 to $20 a week for the washable shirts at the cleaner.
Al Angello
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I prefer cotton it cools quickly. if I am wearing a coat then I have a short sleeve shirt on underneath, or at least roll up my sleeves.

oliver
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 16:55, four elements wrote:
Take a look a product called 'body armor'. They sell it in sporting good stores. Basically it's a first layer and it moves the mositure away from your body. It helps to make you feel cooler. I have used it before it really helps to make you feel better.

Actually, the product is called Under Armour (http://www.underarmour.com/). I wear the long-sleeve "turf gear" shirt under my ice hockey equipment and it definitely pulls the moisture and heat away from the body and the skin is actually cool to the touch underneath. I don't know that this is exactly what you're looking for, but you may find something on their website that suits your needs.
pdmedic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pdmedic
I use the under armour at work under body armor and it works well the trick is to have something so that it wicks to it. Also depending on the location the cooling gel packs that go on your neck might help.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I work and live in Houston Texas. I often do events in suits, outside, in July. How hot can it be in Philly?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Good question Jack. The weather ih Philadelphia in June, July, and August, is the same as the weather is in Houston from May to September hot, humid, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Actualy, now that I have made a useless reply, I think I will add one that might actualy help. Rayon. Lots and Lots of Rayon. In my opinion Rayon is the single best fabric to be wearing in a hot and humid climate. Originaly I had been under the misconceotion that rayon was one of the man made fabrics, but it turns out it is cotton. But not just cotton. It is a light, delicate, breathing form of cotton fabric. Hard to do a coat out of rayon, and pants are a maybe at best, but you would be astounded at what a rayon shirt will do for your comfort.