The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Which watch to wear? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jasonmcconnie
View Profile
New user
canada
58 Posts

Profile of jasonmcconnie
There's a Salvador Dali melting watch available that looks pretty snazzy and surreal.
scalito
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of scalito
I wear a Rado black band watch. It has a ceramic band that won't scratch and it's real thin and light since the structure is titanium. However, I had a show today and had to take it off since it was getting in the way of my billet work!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I wear a Rolex while performing because it is the only watch I own
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
347 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
It was intresting that Alan said that his sweat eats through the leather, I have the opposite problem. I need to have a watch with a leather or nylon backed strap, because my sweat corrodes the metal. When performing I wear a pocketwatch in my vest, and I casually tell people that I (psychic persona) have trouble with keeping my wrist watches running and typically go through 2-3 a year because they start going haywire after about 6 months regardless of how much I've spent on them.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-12-16 11:17, Moderncelt wrote:
It was intresting that Alan said that his sweat eats through the leather, I have the opposite problem. I need to have a watch with a leather or nylon backed strap, because my sweat corrodes the metal. When performing I wear a pocketwatch in my vest, and I casually tell people that I (psychic persona) have trouble with keeping my wrist watches running and typically go through 2-3 a year because they start going haywire after about 6 months regardless of how much I've spent on them.

If I wear a cheap metal band, my sweat will corrode it. For some reason, my sweat eats through metal to get to any layers of copper. I wear a Caravelle by Bulova, now, and there's no corrosion.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
A Very stylish Swiss watch...a Rado.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I have a Mickey Mouse watch which allows me on occasion to do the George Carlin gag, "It's either 3 O'clock or Mickey has a....

never mind, this would probably get reported
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Young people today don't wear watches, because every cell phone tells you the correct time. I'm afraid that the wrist watch will soon go the way of the pocket watch.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Al, I'm not so sure of that. I work with people of all ages and they all seem to wear them. Some of which are as big as clocks. For many they're a fashion statement.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Patek philip and panerai
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
409 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Patek Philip, or you can't go wrong with Movado.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a great one I just found today:

http://roamer.ch/en/the-collection/watch......-60.html

This brand isn't very well know in the US.
– Karl Germain
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 21:08, Howie Diddot wrote:
I wear a Rolex while performing because it is the only watch I own

I just purchased this watch because the Rolex could not measure time

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......rd=WATCH
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of dusty
I have owned two Rolex, a GMT Master for 16 years and since 2005 a Steel date Submariner, neither of which keep particuklarly good time Smile

The design for the Submariner has changed only slightly since 1953 and remains a classic. If it was good enough for Sean Connery in Dr No, its good enough for me! I get lots of envious comments and compliments, so yes, I think people do notice.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Over the years, I've seen some watches that use a large coin for the face of the watch; I always thought this would make a nice accessory for a close-up magician, especially one working with coins.

The most impressive, I've always thought, were the Corum watches that have a US gold $20 as the face (no numbers on the face, of course, just the coin and watch hands). But being made from a $20 gold piece, they're *very* expensive. (A web search for 'corum watch gold coin" will bring up lots of images - it looks like there are lots of folks trying to sell these, or replicas of them.)

I've also seen watches using a walking liberty half dollar as the face (the US mint used to sell these, but I haven't checked recently), and I have a vague memory of seeing other US silver coins uses as well.

Has anyone used something like this in their act? Any recommendations as per quality, etc?

Thanks, and best regards,

Larry S.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have a collection to choose from and pull out the stem on most to save on battery costs. You cannot go wrong with a killer suave looking watch as well as you entire outfit.

Speaking of your ensemble, please do not forget about your shows. I have spent hundreds on shoes: Versace, Ferragamo, Santoni, Prada etc and they give me a lot of confidence walking out on the floor. Its been said that shoes are one of the first things the client looks at. You can easily hide a watch but not what is on your feet!
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
I believe we should all wear hour witch wrist watch. Easy for you to say...

Or our Timeless.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 03:11, Acecardician wrote:
I get a gold flashy watch at the drug store for $10.00.
It is usually hidden under my sleeve.
I ook at it at the appropriate time, usualyy after I produce a royal flush, and say, anyone lost a watch? I did not have this when I came here. I actually have poeple looking for theri watches. At the same time I see what time it is, so I know how much longer to perform.

Cam Anyone send me a link to get one of those $25 Rolexes?
That would work great for this.

ACE

Those Rolex are going for much more these days, more like $170 and up.
WillStagner
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of WillStagner
I think we should ask ourselves not what particular brand of "nice watch" we should wear, but rather if we should wear a nice watch at all.

For close up, at least, I think wearing a really expensive watch, just like wearing an expensive suit, gives the spectator the impression that you're doing magic at them instead of with them. Coming off as a professional entertainer puts this artificial barrier between you and the spectator that doesn't need to be there
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 13:52, WillStagner wrote:
I think we should ask ourselves not what particular brand of "nice watch" we should wear, but rather if we should wear a nice watch at all.

For close up, at least, I think wearing a really expensive watch, just like wearing an expensive suit, gives the spectator the impression that you're doing magic at them instead of with them. Coming off as a professional entertainer puts this artificial barrier between you and the spectator that doesn't need to be there

I don't think that anyone will notice the watch, unless they're impressed by such things or the the watch is really awful looking. I won't notice a Rolex at all. However, when working for a well-healed crowd, you will need to look really good. You can do that without breaking the bank.