The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Ask me for Clothing/Fashion Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Coming out of the closet might need to wait until AFTER the performance, depending on who you are performing for.

Oh wait, you meant the closet where you hang your clothes....
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No....no I didn't
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
does it matter what shoes I wear if I can't see my feet?

Absolutely - because while you may not be able to see your feet, your audience can.

I would recommend the Italian Santoni brand - but what good is it wearing shoes better than everyone else if the plebs in your audience are to sartorially challenged to recognise superior footwear?

For this reason it is important to perform tricks like self tying shoelace or card to shoe. These will give you the opportunity to both draw attention to your shoes and casually comment on their quality. Your audience will be most impressed and your applause deafening.

I suggest saying something like " I used to do this trick with common ordinary ugly shoes like you people wear, but now I can spend $300 on Santoni shoes, not only am I better than anyone else - the trick works better with the expensive leather."

If you desire a more casual look, I would recommend the thong.

I should explain that here in Australia we refer to the flip flop as a thong and we call what you call a thong a g-string.

Though I have seen Pacific Islanders who, having misplaced their pen!s gourds, have utilised a flip flop as a thong. How they attached it I am unsure - perhaps, I hope, a plaited band round the waist. If you are adventurous enough to try this cutting edge look I will mention that flip flops come in up to size 14 - though some may need to check out the childrens range.

Destiny
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Hmmm.....

No comment.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Lol.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Thought farmer
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Thought farmer
This is funnier than the Comedy Channel.Thought Farmer.
bob tripp
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of bob tripp
Natanel, This has been an absolutely wonderfully informative topic. Certainly it must be representative of a core principle of the Magic Café'. You might give thought to binding most of the posts into a book. It would surely have value to the serious performer. BT
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Smart casual, cheap - but dosn't look cheap.

Can be played of a fun classic character, or a slight darker performer.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 07:04, bob tripp wrote:
Natanel, This has been an absolutely wonderfully informative topic. Certainly it must be representative of a core principle of the Magic Café'. You might give thought to binding most of the posts into a book. It would surely have value to the serious performer. BT

Thanks so much!

I have actually been compiling a more comprehensive booklet of sorts. I think I will release it as a humble ebook and maybe a DIY bound version if there is much interest.

I don't flatter myself to have any great routines, sleights or theory yet, but I think I can help out most magicians in terms of dress!
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Let me know when it's out!
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Eh hem!
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 18:24, Pauldela wrote:
Smart casual, cheap - but dosn't look cheap.

Can be played of a fun classic character, or a slight darker performer.

I'm sorry Paul, hah I didn't quite realize what you were asking. Are you asking for advice on how to dress like the character you mentioned?

If so I would suggest a slim fitting dark suit (H&M or Topman is a great budget option)and a collared shirt with the top two buttons unbuttoned. Then a pair of boots or some angular laceups would give a nice footwear punch you wouldn't get from classic footwear. I'd go with chelsea boots (slim boots with an elastic gusset) personally.

I like your character description as it evokes one of my favorite performers, the Australian rockstar Nick Cave. I recommend you do a google image search on Mr.Cave for inspritation as I think he fits your description perfectly.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 15:20, plasticdestiny wrote:
MagicSanta,

Have you ever seen the English show 'Are You Being Served' set in the menswear department of a store?

Anyone who has will no doubt get extra entertainment from this thread.

Destiny

Don't worry about the fit,It is sure to ride up with wear...
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-11-30 14:46, The Great Danton wrote:
Hmmm.....

No comment.

Best thing youve mentioned in this whole post column-

This isn't your personal blob-so how about taking a rest & let people that have genuine concerns about a serious issue that is one of the best offers from someone in the know- ive seen on the Café for many years ask the questions! Annoying would be a better word!

The Way many dress in this business at times is a real problem with Image for our Profession

Myself working in the corporate area only for near 20 years have 3 suits European made while I was travelling & performing - 2 with minor sequins but appearance is half the battle to win your audience before you do 1 effect

just look at Duane Laflin when he walks out on stage -he looks a million dollars before anything happens

I think you-Natanel should also have your own forum here-everybody needs tips!!
Thanks for the forum -will keep enjoying reading!!

Cheers
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Brent,
I'm not sure how to take your post, I'm sorry if I have come off as annoying to anyone, this is just one of my interests... I must say that I have learned a lot from everyone here, and I thank them for that!

I also agree with you about Duane Laflin, there is a man with elegant style. I'm looking forward to meeting him at the Advance Gospel Magic convention in TN this February.

I love to make a joke, and the comments between MagicSanta and I and my response to PlasticDestiny's post was one of these. I completely agree with PlasticDestiny's view on wearing proper footwear, but as for the multiple uses of what we would call a flip-flop, it was asking for what I gave it, no comment. I would like to hope that other then these, my posts have all been helpful, and my questions genuine.

Natanel,
As I'm hopefully getting myself a Ben Sherman Burgundy velvet jacket sometime soon, for a young, kind of hip look, would nice jeans, a white shirt, and a fairly thin black tie (2 inches or so) be okay, or would you do something different? I thought about no tie, and leaving the top two buttons on the shirt open, or maybe not a black tie, but some other color... Everyones thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
Danton
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
For the record: I have very much appreciated Danton's posts in here.

I appreciate the vigilance Brent, but I have no problem with a bit of joking around. Thanks to both of you though for your interest in this sadly neglected field of performance!

Danton: a burgundy velvet jacket sounds great. As I mentioned earlier I would like to add a similar piece to my wardrobe. Jeans would be fine, but I wouldn't wear a tie and jeans at the same time. Either go with the unbuttoned collar and jeans, or a nice dark pair (charcoal would probably work well with burgundy) of trousers if you intend to wear a tie. Just as a warning the Ben Sherman jacket will have a slim modern fit so it's important the pants do as well!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I obviously have no issues with joking around but I do think if anyone is offended with the humour in this thread, the last person they should be singling out is The Great Danton.

MagicSanta and myself - sure - but Danton has been both supportive of Natanel in his interests and has dabbled in the humour. Natanel has also been very tolerant.

And to keep this post completely serious - now that I'm properly aware that humour has no place in the discussion of magic - I will proffer my honest opinion about clothing for magicians.

There are many very badly dressed magicians.

There always will be.

Well intentioned as Natanels advice is, it will only help those who already possess the common sense to be professional in their appearance.

The slobs and the clueless are not going to change - and it will not impact one iota on my work or Brent's.

A local dentist likes to wear board shorts in his surgery - not quite as seriously dressed as I would like a dentist to be (yes - I know it makes no difference to his dentistry - but it leaves doubts in my mind I'm not comfortable with) It doesn't stop me going to my dentist.

Destiny
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Natanel,
Thank you for the kind words. I thought perhaps jeans and a tie would not mix well, but charcoal trousers hadn't crossed my mind. I'll definitely take a look at some. Most of my jeans are a modern fit, so that shouldn't be a problem. Viva burgundy velvet!

PlasticDestiny,
Thank you as well. I guess now we know, eh? Jokes should stay in the "Now that's funny!" forum...

I will also try to keep my posts here serious, and to the point, although I am a naturally playful, and fun loving person. I can respect that some people like to keep discussion serious.

Danton
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Jokes should stay in the "Now that's funny!" forum...

Please send out a Broadcast PM if anything funny ever finds it's way into that forum! Smile

Destiny
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 21:52, plasticdestiny wrote:
Quote:
Jokes should stay in the "Now that's funny!" forum...

Please send out a Broadcast PM if anything funny ever finds it's way into that forum! Smile

Destiny

Points well taken guys thanks for the advice- don't want to be a stick in the mud just think this is a great
topic that has huge potential as a thread etc..

I work comedy clubs so humour is not an issue
even for aussies like yourself Destiny
Even you know the definition of confusion is Fathers day in a Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers My Friend!!