The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Top Hats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
I think top hats are really cool, both as a costume accessory, as well as a magic prop. I remember buying my first used one from a tux shop when I was a child. At the time, all I could only afford was an old one in poor condition. After going through a few old used hats, I was delighted when I could finally afford a new one. One of the best ones I own was made somewhere in Germany or Austria. It has "The Magic Hands" label on the interior bottom. The crown is just a bit lower than most other opera hats, and it looks really cool, either worn, or as a receptical for produced manipulation props.

The Steampunk look is very popular now. I just happened to be at a local hotel that was hosting a Steampunk gathering. There were top hats everywhere. Of course when I see a top hat the first thing I want to do is to start juggling it...

Now there is an idea...perhaps a hat juggling workshop would be a perfect event for the next local Steampunk festival...javascript:emoticon(':magician:')tival... Smile
Dirty Deek
View Profile
New user
Indiana, USA
35 Posts

Profile of Dirty Deek
Copperfield Chimney Supply sells top hats (think chimney sweep.

https://www.copperfield.com/
"Pay No Attention to That Man Behind The Curtain"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you want a real evening Top Hat, collapsible as well, then Norm Nielsen sells the read thing.

https://nnmagic.com/store/magic-tricks/top-hat/
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I am looking for a company that sells or can make me a purple satin collapsible top hat.
Any suggestions?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Thatks John. Those are nice. Imjust wish 5ney were collapsible...it makes packng them so much easier.
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
It's interesting to see how the price of top hats has gone up over the last few decades. The price increase has far outpaced that of magic props. I think it's because there are only a few hat makers worldwide that still make them. I remember in the early 1970's you could buy a really nice top hat for $35. They were readily available. You could buy one at your local formal wear store, as they were still being used for weddings. Now, the same quality hat costs 10 times that amount, if you can find one.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Just out of interest. Even by itself the top hat is associated with magic. The top hat is an identifier for the Voodoo magician in this James Bond film.

Richard

Click here to view attached image.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Just out of interest. Even by itself the top hat is associated with magic. The top hat is an identifier for the Voodoo magician in this James Bond film.

Richard

Click here to view attached image.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
The place I get my top hats now charges $300.

I will use the one I have till it looks like the one Freddy the Freeloader had on his head.

I looked at that site in Denmark and the top of the line top hat is $500.00 US.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
760 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Walmart's website sells a very nice collapsible top hat for under $30. I bought one and found it very nice for what I needed it for.
troy thornton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of troy thornton
The one in my avatar that I made and yes that is a rattle snake head on the front.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2018, Dan Ford wrote:
Walmart's website sells a very nice collapsible top hat for under $30. I bought one and found it very nice for what I needed it for.

I was curious so went to Walmart online and searched. I found this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Collapsible-T......27103214

There are lots of others too (who knew?) If you search use “top hat collapsible” and make sure to read description. Lots are for children. There’s also an art piece that shows up in the results.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
760 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
That is the one! I like it!!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Yay
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
The Walmart one has a 1-star review saying “skip this one”.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/store......p?page=3

This site has several top hats from $70-$100. More, but for sure quality!

Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
760 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
It just depends what you are buying it for. For me it was just for a quick transition effect and not to wear.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Dan,
Gotcha! I understand!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?