The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Costume quick change methods? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm not much of a computer guy, but my friends are trying to improve my site. I'm wearing a Bishops Hat and a real cool cape in the avatar. Both of the same material. It was custom made in Washington State when I lived there. The hat is getting a little worn but the cape still looks great. Perfect material for quick change although this is just a conventional costume for Mardi Gras. I would like to quick change from a Blues Brother costume to the Bishop some day.
Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Is anyone video taping the "30 Seconds to Fame" tv show? The quick-change artists (David and Dania) that I mentioned earlier in this thread were on the show a few nights ago. In fact, they won.

Ronin and Joe (Moratta), if someone made a tape, perhaps you could get a copy. Seeing this act should probably be required for anyone interested in the craft. David and Dania are really worth watching to see what distractions are used, how fast a change should be, types of outfits that are condusive to quick-change, etc. They made 7 or so changes in 30 seconds. They make even more in their full act.

pp
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
David and Dania are a quality act that have learned the "true secrets" of costume change. They've learned much from the Russians who have traditionally handed down these methods from generation to generation. These are the methods used by all the "greats" of quick change , Brachetti included - and you won't find a magnet, velcro or popper in sight!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
http://www.brachetti.com/show-en.htm
check out this guy! wow
he was also on drew carey once
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I looked on the "30 Seconds of Fame" site but I couldn't find the act. They have video's of several of the contestants but I did'nt see any quick change acts. I would love to get a copy if they have one. Some of the girls that I work with will be in California performing for the show at the end of the month. Perhaps they can get a copy if no one else has one.
Do David and Dania have a web site?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
David & Dania's act was "taught" to them by Russias Rogovs
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I was amazed at an act in Las Vegas on the second floor of the Excalibur a few years back. When I got home I contacted the performers about their quick change illusion. They were from the Russian circus and the father and son held some acrobatic record for handstands or something like that. I've forgotten their names and they are no longer at the Excalibur. The entertainment director did say that he thought that they were in Florida but I haven't seen such an act down here. Are these the folks that taught David and Dania?
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
The Rogovs are now an elderly retired couple - not a father and son!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The act was a husband and wife affair. The information about their son was just something a proud father had told me. He, the son, didn't appear in the performance at all though I was led to believe that he was following in his families footsteps.
magicguy88
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
73 Posts

Profile of magicguy88
Rudy Coby does a flash quick change in his novelty act. He uses as drape for cover. I've never understood how he get's the flash and smoke with so much potentially flammable material around. Is it all just flame proofed? Or is he using a flash effect that produces smoke but no flame? This is a really nice quick change if you've ever seen this routine...which is pretty famous.

Ryan Smile
TheFlash
View Profile
New user
USA
3 Posts

Profile of TheFlash
I can say with 100% certainty that no one taught David & Dania their act. At most they have some choreagraphy assistance. That is all.

Both have years of experience in show business since childhood. Dania Kaseeva has been trained from a very young age dance and gymnastics by top Russian schooling. Before creating the Transformation act with David, Dania was a star in her own right doing her one of a kind Hoola Hoop Act, which she still performs today. They are the most accomplished performers of circus and Quick Change Transformation. There is not another performer in the World like Dania Kaseeva. Her talent and passion show through in every move she makes on stage. They are not the first to perform the Costume transformation, but certainly the best. They have perfected the skill. If you wish to see them perform, your best bet is to go to a NBA game one day. They are regulars at many of the NBA teams accross the country as the half time act.

They do not have a website but here is a bio: http://www.veress.se/daviddania.htm
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
We once worked out an act in which I wore a leotard made entirely of velcro. My assistant also wore one of "opposite polarity."

Unfortunately, the act never went on because we got stuck together while waiting in the wings.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
When M.Monroes first put out her video, the content differed from the book as it was more detailed.

I was horrified at her tape. Not only is her tape HOME MADE, the changes are very poorly performed. She states that she works big shows doing this and I think they must all be drunk then. When you see the tape you will know what I mean.
ALSO do not believe that she goes into any detail on the tape about cloths for men.
Very little of what you learn is for men's style clothing.

If you are a women than maybe you can try the tape but since my complaint she has decided to only sell the book and tape as a set.
I will admit on a rough level, many of the principles she uses are used in similar fashion by the pros.

Quick change works on very simple concepts and is like most magic, so simple you have trouble believing it can work. Well until you see someone doing it. Cover is the key for most of them.

Mark
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
I can say with 100% certainty that no one taught David & Dania their act. At most they have some choreagraphy assistance.

Don't know what your souce is, but the act was given to them by the Rogovs - 100%!!
(as was that of Monastyrskaya) - that is why there are so many similarities - even the music is the same!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

TheFlash
View Profile
New user
USA
3 Posts

Profile of TheFlash
I would like to know your source as well. When I say 100%, I mean it. From where did you hear that they were given the act?

I suggest that you do some research first, possibly asking the duo themselves. The music of David and Dania was put together by David himself. David comes from a well trained musical family and obviously has good taste. Any similarities are due to the many people who have tried to copy their success.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Strange!

I heard this from the Rogovs - maybe they are jealous and want their claim to fame.

On a sad note I hear that the main woman from the Monastyrskaya act has died and her younger sister has taken over.

I often wonder why the "old style" quick change acts insist on using the kitsch feather flowers, champagne bottles etc?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I was happy to find out that David and Dania are performing here in Orlando on the 12th and the 18th. I hope to catch one of their performances. I spoke with one of their agents and he said that he is putting a web site together for them.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Many years ago, the three daughters of Mexican magician Chen Kai did a costume change on a variety show.
The three sang and performed magic closing with a costume change in full view.
The little girls simply spun around and upon facing the audience, their dresses had completely changed color.

Always looking forward to your posts,

Randy Stewart
TheFlash
View Profile
New user
USA
3 Posts

Profile of TheFlash
Slim King, which agent did you speak with?
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
Will Goldston's Exclusive Magical Secrets has a chapter on quick changes. It's of course a bit dated but many of the ideas are still applicable.

Quick changes, hayagawari, are also used in kabuki, one of the three major classical theaters of Japan.