The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Inexpensive Tuxedo ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
If you live near a Syms store (www.syms.com) you should be able to find a great buy on a tux as they are often <$200. Their selection tends to be extensive in both style and size.

Dan.
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
Drew, I completely agree with you on the boots. When I moved from Oregon back to Philadelphia, I couldn't bear to stop wearing my dress boots for shows, so I continued theming my magic show as a western themed act. But even out of theme, boots get a good reaction here because they are different, and people seem to know how expensive they are! If played with confidence, we Yankees can get away with it.

When I do my western theme I wear dad's old black tux with plain, black Noccona dress boots, a black dress cowboy hat, fancy bola tie, vest and a handmade shiny black holster for my magic wand. It really comes together well, and with an old, non-western tuxedo it still sells. I imagine this is similar to a typical formal modern southern outfit (plus holster) which is enough to be a 'character costume' up here.

I have been thinking of adding a western style (almost ascot type) tie from Wah-maker or something to give it a bit older and more formal look. I've always thought ascots seem the most formal and can really dress up a plain-tailored tux.
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Cowboy, you realy need to check out my site. I think you will find the photos interesting.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 19:58, JackScratch wrote:
...Suspenders are also very handy, no belt can do what a pair of suspenders can do...

Agreed! Good point.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
As a side note to that. If at all possible. Sew the buttons on each of your pants and get button on suspenders. The clip on variety just do not cut it.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
In my area a good 120 tux completely outfitted head to toe would be $500.
Quality matters. If you plan on wearing it a lot for shows a good tux will go the distance.
Daniel Faith
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 15:50, Alan Munro wrote:

I've never performed a strolling gig where tails would be appropriate. A tux, on the otherhand, is another story. Being too dressed-up can alienate your audience.

I try to dress as well as the best dressed person, yet look comfortable. It helps to look at GQ and the fashion pages in Playboy for ideas for a total look. I tend to wear worsted wool, because it resists wrinkles a little and it breathes well.

Oh yeah now I got a reason to look at a playboy!
Thanks

Shane