The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Tattoos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I think what we have all missed out on here is the "family safe" factor. The illusionist community is quite different from the sideshow community. Come to think of it, I only know a few people in the sideshow family that DOESN'T have a tattoo. I designed my ink specifically to enhance the effect of my act. "Magicians" (illusionists) have more opportunity to get gigs at schools, church functions, birthday parties and other kid friendly uptight venues. Kids are impressionable and if they want to do what the magic guy is doing, well playing with cards is a pretty safe bet. But when a pierced up tattooed guy comes out, eats a lightbulb, sleeps on a bed of nails and lifts an anvil with thier nipples.... well you get the idea.

I won't say that being a non-showing-tattooed illusionist gets you better gigs, just more of them. Being true to yourself and having not one ounce of regret about your body is something you cannot put a price tag on.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
We regularly work in venues that have consistently received some of the highest ratings from family magazines (ie. City Parent Magazine)and other organizations (ie. Hotel Fun 4 Kids and Very Important Kids Club) in the country.

Our 90 minute family show at these venues is extremely popular and we continue to work these venues year after year on 10 week contracts.

We also are booked to perform year after year at fairs, festivals and events that are family or children oriented and affiliated with communities, churches, schools and even Disney.

My tattoos are quite visible on my arms and have never proven a detriment.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I see kids everywhere with fake tattoos - especially at fetes and festivals.

No biggie anymore.

Destiny
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Roy, I wish I would have found this topic awhile ago....Here is the link for tattoo cover-up sleeves.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=6337

I have ALOT of tattoos, but all are invisible unless I want them to be seen. With one of these sleeves, yours will be too.

ENJOY !
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Oh da*m, I just saw the original post is from 2003....well enjoy the link fellow tattoo'd people anyway!
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 09:50, thegreatnippulini wrote:
"Magicians" (illusionists) have more opportunity to get gigs at schools, church functions, birthday parties and other kid friendly uptight venues.

I think I want to get a tattoo so I CAN avoid these venues.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Tatoos aren't as bad as some think. Obviously you would want to avoid children, etc. but for the most part, they are better than most people think.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
The REAL reason folks don't want you sporting your ink in front of the kiddies: children are SO impressionable that parents are REALLY afraid their kids will get tattooed because of it. Funny thing... it's pretty much true. Is it a bad thing? That's a whole 'nuther story.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
lewisswiresmagic
View Profile
New user
London
35 Posts

Profile of lewisswiresmagic
I have got a load of tattoo's and I'm proud of all of them, I do magic for kids almost as much as Adults and I have never heard any complaints about my tattoo's, sometimes my sense of humour is a bit questinable but never my tattoo's, and a lot are on show...
I have had repeat bookings for a famly after doing a show for their daughters 12th birthday in a tshirt.
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I have a but load of tattoos down both arms and on both hands never has it stoped me from doing anything that I want to do.
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
I don't have, nor do I mind, tattoos. In fact, on the right girl in the right place I LOVE 'em!! (lol)

Having said that, I recommend keeping them invisible unless working somewhere I knew they were readily accepted. It's kinda like wearing a button expressing a political view - it shouldn't necessarily matter, but inevitably it will, somewhere, sometime.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
I think they are a lot more socially acceptable today than they used to be. One of my favorite performers is Luke Jermay and he has one or two tatoos and they never seem to make a difference in his performance. I think it is not so much the tatoos as it is how you carry yourself as a person with them. If you come across as an smart person it probably doesn't matter what is inked on you (as long as it is not racist or something)but if you act like you belong on Jerry Springer that is how you will be treated.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I really find it fascinating what some folks will post. Tattoos have been around since time immemorial and each piece contains it's own narrative or at least one would hope given the end result. Mine came as a result of the tragic death of my 6 year old son Jonah. Much of the magic was taken from my family and the tattoo connects my life beliefs as well as my connection with magic.

I teach and perform at schools as well as do a small but increasing amount of corporate work. When I teach my students can see a portion of it as it comes down to the bottom of my bicep. Conversely, when I perfom magic my costume does cover my tattoo. I wouldn't have any concern showing it but since it's covered there isn't any issue. Still, if someone didn't want to hire me because I have a tattoo I wouldn't want to work for them. That's one of the benefits of being a self employed artist...I don't have to kowtow to narrow minded people who judge others based upon some assinine standard.

Jeff
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I really find it fascinating what some folks will post. Tattoos have been around since time immemorial and each piece contains it's own narrative or at least one would hope given the end result. Mine came as a result of the tragic death of my 6 year old son Jonah. Much of the magic was taken from my family and the tattoo connects my life beliefs as well as my connection with magic.

I teach and perform at schools as well as do a small but increasing amount of corporate work. When I teach my students can see a portion of it as it comes down to the bottom of my bicep. Conversely, when I perfom magic my costume does cover my tattoo. I wouldn't have any concern showing it but since it's covered there isn't any issue. Still, if someone didn't want to hire me because I have a tattoo I wouldn't want to work for them. That's one of the benefits if being a self employed artist...I don't have to kowtow to narrow minded people who judge others based upon some assinine standard.

Jeff
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Here is a ~very~ fresh tattoo, heavily magic inspired.

People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
MagicJack99
View Profile
New user
North Pole, Alaska
34 Posts

Profile of MagicJack99
Tattooed People don't care if your NOT tattooed..... I have full sleeves of tattoo and a full back piece. I do most of my shows in a Tux so it was never an issue anyway. But when I do close up I usually have long sleeves and then roll them up at some point, I usually get a comment of "NICE ARTWORK" I have never had a negative comment from an audience member. The only negative comments I ever get are from other fellow Christians who don't understand that the Bible refers to not getting Tattooed in connection with mourning the dead...and they are usually the ones who "Cut their beards", And as far as the body as a temple, Paul was referring to sexual matters, not Tattoos.Additional, Don't temple walls have artwork on them too? But as far a magic, if you have tattoos, I say who cares don't hide them unless they have offensive words or pictures, and who ever it was that said stupid people get tattooed, I guess I need to return my A.S, BFA, MA, and PhD???? Finally, I would think that people who are going to be offended by a magician with tattoos would not be at the show anyway, they are probably the same people who think Magic is Magik as in witchcraft. If you are a good person, a good entertainer and really care about your audience, a tattoo or two, or 200 will not make a difference today.
Just my opinion..
NathanHimes
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of NathanHimes
I had a friend with a large tattoo on his arm with a name and date, it was his fathers name and the date he died.

he performed close up magic, with the tattoo showing, he would do a few effects, then do a "dedication" by doing the effect his father enjoyed most, and told a little story while doing the effect of how his dad would always make him do that one.

He took it and made it meaningful, the audience loved it, it made them have a real connection with the performer.

If yours is a significant person and date maybe you can use that to allow it to show.

-Nathan Himes
NathanHimes
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of NathanHimes
I had a friend with a large tattoo on his arm with a name and date, it was his fathers name and the date he died.

he performed close up magic, with the tattoo showing, he would do a few effects, then do a "dedication" by doing the effect his father enjoyed most, and told a little story while doing the effect of how his dad would always make him do that one.

He took it and made it meaningful, the audience loved it, it made them have a real connection with the performer.

If yours is a significant person and date maybe you can use that to allow it to show.

-Nathan Himes
aaronharp88
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aaronharp88
I have a tattoo on both forearms one arm says magic and the other arm says man with a magic hat

I was very nervous to get this because of kid shows.....i have never had anyone say anything or make attention to the tattoos most kid shows I try to keep it covered up though.

the last thing I want is a young child saying they want to be like me with a cool tattoo or something