The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Too much for a corporate gig? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
Hi

I'm currently thinking about writing a script for corporate gigs. Obviously ideally one script to fit all, but I imagine tweaking it depending on the specific gig will be necessary.

I was thinking of a story based around an old diary I was left from a great uncle, and my show would be recreating some of the techniques Ive learnt from it.

Do you think this kind of script would be too deep for the corporate audience. I love the idea of going into who my uncle was etc but at the same time do you think for a corporate audience atleast they'll think "who cares?".

Do you guys think for corperates the tone should be more light hearted and that kind of script only works for a stand alone show?

Your thoughts as always woukd be very much appreciated

Russell
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
A dear friend of mine has been very successful by using this very premise. It can take on any flair from humorous to serious. Having sat through plenty of corporate events personally, I think you'll find your individual creativity will capture the heart of your audience. I found being a comic doesn't fit me personally but it's easy to poke fun at relatives, so laughing about the antics of your uncle might be a good twist on that.

Personally I think you're idea can give you great flexibility and if you get the opportunity to demonstrate a corporate product who better to take your cues from than that uncle who was always a little odd?

Go do it, and don't get caught up in the what if's...that has always been something that has kept some of my best ideas stuck between my ears and not in the show.

Best to you,
Mick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I'm confused, what do you mean by corporate? Corporate work as to do with business, you will have to do what the client wants. Usually motivational or sales oriented scripts. Industrial Trade Shows are about the product and what the company tells you the features of their products that they want to get across to the their clients.

To address your "to deep" comment, corporate employees are the most intelligent audiences a magician could perform for in the world.

You "who cares" comment, as more to do with you and your ability to draw your audience into our story. It has nothing to do with what the audience thinks of the cover of a book. It is the content that makes or breaks a story, along with the story tellers emotions brought out to connect with the audience.

Every story can have a mix of serious, loving, and light heartedness in it. The highs and lows is what helps the development of the whole.

You did not mention if there will be any magic involved with your store about your Uncle.

Finally, I believe you will find out real quick if Corporate gigs as you call then are interested in your presentation, as they want to know what they are buying. So when they ask what you do, and you tell them exactly what they are buying, they will either sign the contact or tell you that is not what we are interested in presenting to your employees.