The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Using lines from movies and sound tracks from movies???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I was watching this move and the heard the most amazing patter line that would littarly fit perfectly word for word into my script. Also found some great music for my stage show but it is the soundtrack from a movie... Is is legal to use lines / music from movies? I don't really know how all that works...

Would I need to like contact Paramount pictures and buy royalties to use this stuff in my act? (I'm going to perform for free at like nursing homes, and at my local playhouse and such)

Can someone fill me in on how that works?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Who's gonna bust you.
Why do you use so many ??? in your posts????

John
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
My son is an attorney and he would say that it is technically and legally a copyright infringement at least on the music. That being said the odds of being sued over it are remote. If someone turned you in you would first get a cease and desist letter.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
139 Posts

Profile of ddamen
You are way too "small fish" to worry about getting sued for copyright infringement. Paramount is not paying their lawyers million dollar retainers to chase down some magician volunteering at a nursing home