The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Your First Words (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
"Hello, my name is Karsten Meyerhoff - for those who don't know me. For those who do know me, it's Karsten Meyerhoff, too. I only have this one name, it's easier to remember that way ...". Fits my stage persona, which is a slightly arrogant, quick-witted, ironic guy. My two cents ...
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Let's look at how songs are opened....SHORT SWEET DIRECT
A music teacher once told me songs have 4 different types of openings just like sentences.

declarative sentence... makes a statement
interrogative sentence ...asks a question
exclamatory sentence .....a statement that shows strong emotion
imperative sentence ....gives a direction or a command

I personally like the 4th...imperative
the beatles....HELP! help me if you can? I am feeling down.
supremes.....STOP! in the name of love

declarative..,.
New York, New York, is everything they say
And no place that I'd rather be!....Heuy Lewis

interrogative
Do you love me? now that I can dance?

Let's look at Micheal Jackson's thriller....
It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking
In the dark.................................................he lays out a setting
Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops
Your heart..................................................setting and mood
You try to scream, but terror takes the sound before
You make it................................................now he is telling you how to react
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between
The eyes
You're paralyzed......................................... he is saying FREEZE and you are Paralyzed

Certainly you are not writing a song but can use some of these techniques.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I'm not as experienced as some here. I've learned to NEVER start with "How are you doing?" You've just wasted your one first impression. My theme for starting any show is MAGIC NOW. For my stage and parlor shows, I simply open with immediate magic. No talking at all. In my close-up act, I go right into my first routine, and begin with the patter for that routine. I don't even say, "Good evening."

Different acts have different needs. Comedy magicians need to develop a comedic rapport right away, even before the magic. As a woman, I automatically start 10 yards behind the men in terms of credibility, so my need is to let the audience know first thing that I'm not effing around, and they will need to pay attention and try to keep up. Copperfield's needs are different than mine. Yours may be, too.

Whatever your opening is, it should be quick and get right into the magic. I see Pop Haydn posted here. His opening is gone before it starts. He says "My name is Pop Haydn. Welcome to ___________." It takes 4 seconds, then he's right into his patter, which starts with "I just happen to have a deck of cards. Lucky for us." Watch. https://youtu.be/v7zDyQqVUKc That, in my mind, is how it should be done.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I have a DVD dedicated to this very topic.
http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/prod......lume-one
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just returned from the 79th annual Houdini Club "convention" (note " " )

I lost count of the young--and old-- performers who started with, "Hi! How are you doing?" YUK.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
alan1954
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of alan1954
I use a 30 second professionally recorded introduction. Gary Owen in Oklahoma City does a great job with this. I have one that I use throughout the year and another for October with Gary sounding like Dracula. Am thinking about getting another with him as Santa. You play the intro, you come out and BOOM! You go into the magic.