The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: F-gambit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Hi all!

I have Stunners Plus, but have forgotten it at home! I'm having a lecture in science class today. I was thinking of illustrating that we observe the "objective" world different from the different knowledges we have. So, I thought I could use the example with a sentence where you count the number of "F's" in it (there are six, but they only see 3 or 4..). Could anyone please pm me the sentence?? I would highly appreciate it. It's somewhere around page 400 in Stunners Plus, if I don't miscall it.

/håkan - Sweden
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
My finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years.
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
I'll make you a bet.
I'll bet you can't count the number of F's in a short sentence.

Read this sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count the F's in that sentence. Count
only once, don't go back a 2nd time.

ANSWER: There are six F's in the sentence.

A person of average intelligence will find three of them.
If you found four F's, you are above average.
If you found five F's, you are very good.
If you found all six F's, you are a genius.

There is no "magic" trick to this. Many people forget the OF's. The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's.

Learning to type is not magic. The magic, if there is any, is in learning how to concentrate. Once you master the ability to focus on a specific task, and not let your mind wander, you can learn whatever you wish.

Ideas to help you concentrate.
Focus on the topic at hand.
Ignore everything else.
Repeat key ideas or phrases to yourself.
Summarize "What did I learn" or "What should I do?"

----------

Not sure if it is the same one, it was/is an email joke.

RP
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Thank you SOOOO much.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
That's cute. I counted four the first time. It took me a third time to see all six.

Anabelle Smile
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Yeah, I've had that come around in e-mail a few times. I'll admit I did less than average the first attempt, but have since learned to slow down and count the "of's."

My guess is you'll have a few geniuses (is that a word) in your glass, and they have seen the e-mail before...just won't admit to it right away. LOL

John
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Here's a hint for when you are challenged with a puzzle of this type. Do it backwards. Start at the end of the sentence and go toward the beginning. This will help you concentrate on the letters and not the words themselves.

Tate
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
That is a cool problem. Thanks for posting it. I had seen this before. I did very poorly the first time I did it. This time I was looking for the F's in the word "of" and I still only got 5!

Tate, thanks for the suggestion to do problems like this backwards. That does seem to help.

This is the first time I've taken a test and been unhappy because I didn't get an F!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
Four and I was looking. Smile All six when done in reverse. Smile