The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Zombie Opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steveo
View Profile
New user
Shreveport, Louisiana
25 Posts

Profile of Steveo
I'm looking at purchasing a zombie, but I was interested in other opinions on the different zombies. I was wondering which one is the best (at least in your eyes). Thank you in advance.
"Just Enjoy The Art You Are Witnessing; Don't Destroy It."
-Steveo
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Steveo,

Depending on your financial situation, etc., two comes to mind of which I use one!

Morrissey magic in Canada makes a beautiful zombie ball four to five inches silver and gold.

A bit more expensive is Losander's Zombie---similar workings but more advanced, etc. Works well.

Try Morrissey to start and upgrade when you have experience using and performing with this to Losanders version.

Have Fun,

-Brent
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can float fire, candles, skulls, toilet bowl balls, softballs, beach balls, birdcages, shoes, violins...

What suits your act premise and style?

Which leads me to...

You are standing there with your jacket in hand, lower it to floor (the bottom edge just touches floor) suddenly a shoe appears at the top ala Zombie. It goes down inside one sleeve and comes out at where your hand would be, returns, etc., etc.

Build a comedy act around that, maybe...?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Mr. Biro is absolutely correct. You will stand a greater chance of avoiding the old "Oh, we've seen that" if you do something different.

The Books of Wonder have the basics of Tommy Wonder's workings and construction. You should be able to customize something to make your mark with.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Pete Biro-

What a hilarious idea for a Zombie- shoe!!-Im still laughing as I picture this vividly

A creative genius no doubt!!-Where do you get these ideas!

I still think Steveo will be better learning the basics of Zombie with a ball then progress to other ideas such as your briliant suggestion

Dave-

You may have seen a thousand Zombies but lay audiences don't always

Ive been performing since 1977 & still get comments every show about the amazing Ball-If Performed correctly!

Steveo needs to get the basics of this idea first then he will find it easier to head in a direction as mentioned by Mr Biro!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ideas? I just spit them out as fast as anyone comes up with a subject. Always been that way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
salamangkero
View Profile
New user
Phillipines
71 Posts

Profile of salamangkero
Steveo if you know how the zombie works......... make your own that suits your style......or get ideas from videos like chris hart or tim wright........
when love and skill work together expect a masterpiece!
Steveo
View Profile
New user
Shreveport, Louisiana
25 Posts

Profile of Steveo
I like the idea of making a comedy routine out of it. I was thinking about having the ball on the table. Right after getting through with my card manipulation routine (explaining how the cards jump from hand to hand, through the air, but I don't understand how this works) so I move on to something that will do what I want it to do; then, start a comedy zombie routine. I love the idea of the shoe and jacket idea from Mr. Biro. That is an amazing concept that I've NEVER thought about.
I wanted to say that I like the idea, that ABM gave, of getting a grasp on the basic zombie manuevers and then moving on to some other more complicated ideas. I appreciate all the advice, and if you have any other advice that you are willing to share; I am open ears. Thank you in advance.
"Just Enjoy The Art You Are Witnessing; Don't Destroy It."
-Steveo
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
To me, the best Zombie is the Tommy Wonder one. Haven't seen the Losander one, but it shouldn't be that different.

Anyway, the Tommy Wonder one really looks like its floating.

Alex
Alex
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Losander version looks much more magical because of the special handling/gimmick.

Al Schneider's handling for the "standard" Zombie (even close-up) is truly inspired and looks like real Magic. I wonder if anyone has applied Schneider's handling to other objects as Pete suggested?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Mine hurts my thumb. Smile

Matt
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-09-04 13:29, magic_matt wrote:
Mine hurts my thumb Smile
Matt

--------------------------------------------

Matt, there are "refined" two finger gimmicks and other more subtle variations that will take the pressure off that poor ol' thumb. Smile

_
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic_matt,

If the gimmick is hurting your thumb, then you should re-read the instructions. The gimmick should not come into contact with your thumb in any way.

I cannot tell if this is English humor or not.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
On behalf of the Café patrons..again I offer a thank you to Pete Biro for hanging out with us here!

-Ed
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
One name... Dale Salwak.
TheMagikOne
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TheMagikOne
My High School is having its talent show in February, which gives me plenty of time to plan ahead. I need to fill two, at least three minute-slots. I will be doing one act in which I talk (Lee Earle's Dream Test) and was thinking about doing an illusion that doesn't require talking, but perhaps a little music played to it (Zombie illusion). The music I have brings a somewhat mystical tone, but besides the Zombie illusion, what other tricks are there to bring the same feeling, and doesn't require speaking?

Email: TheMagikOne@msn.com
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
There is a girl in the Kansas City area who we know takes the zombie effect a little farther.

After she does her classical type zombie moves, she then has the ball float up out of her hands and it goes to both sides of the stage. I know she is currently working on it to in turn go out over the audience. It's really awesome to see, and from a magician's point just when you thought it was just another person doing a zombie routine hers wows you.
varg
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of varg
There´s also a guy in a new circus who's performing it almost naked, getting onstage only with the zombie cloth around his hips.

When he unfolds it he has a levitating dildo, a strictly nightclub act that runs in Stockholm right now.

A new dimension is the act called.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
When you have a zombie you can have endless possibilities like making a spongebob doll float
I only use a spongebob doll because I won one! lol
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
If you are going for a ball I believe Raymond Crowe of Australia uses a Christmas Ball which cost about $10 Aust big silver shinny and light- for balls look inside xmas shops

Cheers

DW