The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: No Leak Fanning Powder Bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
For years, I've had a problem with fanning powder bottles "leaking." Not only are the plastic Nielsen bottles and standard cylindrical bottles from most dealers prone to leak, but so have some bottles with seals I've purchased. Most recently I tried a powder bottle from Etsy that the seller said doesn't leak, but of course... it does just the same.

Although we can carry any bottle in a ziplock bag to prevent messes, it's still a little annoying. Have any manipulators out there found a leak-proof bottle?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
None of mine have ever leaked. Sounds like you are putting a lot of props stuff on the bottle adding pressure on the bottle. Best to carry/store it separately.

You only have to use once on a deck of cards. No need to pile it on thick. You may be causing your own problems.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

They’ve all had leaking issues with small taps And bumps. This is going back 25+ years. It’s an annoyance, not a catastrophe.
This has no relation to the amount applied to the cards. Just storage and transport.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
By transport I believed you meant, taking it along to your gigs.

What you could try is go to the dollar store and buy some baby powder in the container. Take it home, dump it out, and throw it away. Then wash out the container, rinse it out, an put it at an angle upside down. So it can air dry inside and out. Now put your Fanning Powder in the completely dry container.

It should server you well and not leak.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

That's a great suggestion. In fact, I did just that, but via an Etsy shop that sells the containers empty. It did a better job than the magic dealer containers, but only marginally. I just found some "shakers" on Amazon that have a lid and maybe a gasket? I will report back my findings.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Get zinc stearate, put a cloth over you finger, dip it in the zinc stearate and rub a tiny amount into each card. Or get a hard bar of Ivory Soap and make an X on one side of each card. In both cases, break the deck in and only use for fanning.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Keep the zinc stearate in the container it comes in.